Accelerated Evolution

d20 Pirates

I'm willing to try and start a d20 pirate rpg but I need to figue out how to give some order to this game yet make it fun for you. I could set up a sea, with islands and continents and such. But I need to know...

-Whether at least some people are okay with being agents of a mother country or at least having some purpose to give a sense of order to the game.

-Whether people want high magic, moderate magic, or low magic.

-Whether anyone knows where I can get some nautical d20 rules.

If we go high magic maybe we could even do magical submarines and such. Sea monsters and exotic islands would make for great exploration and encounters, and of course... I'd work in naval battles. :crube:

I just need your consent and ideas, and a set of rules.

Well, I would be more than willing to shoot the historical shit with you.

And I suppose some magic would be okay. But low, low magic. Like, PC's never get magic. Because it's cool to fight a sea-hag that comes out in the red moon, or perhaps someone with a control over X magic thing.

But when you're becalmed and you just summon up wind... Laaaame.

Well, I would be more than willing to shoot the historical shit with you.

And I suppose some magic would be okay. But low, low magic. Like, PC's never get magic. Because it's cool to fight a sea-hag that comes out in the red moon, or perhaps someone with a control over X magic thing.

But when you're becalmed and you just summon up wind... Laaaame.

That was what I was thinkin'. : )

Alright then! I'll start up drawing a map and planning some ideas. I'll introduce some countries and areas when I can. I'd say you can either be.

-A free pirate.

-Pirate hired by a nation for exploration and intercepting enemy nation ships.

-Member of a countrie's navy.

-Person from an island or country in the area.

Cerazie, e-mail me some stuff on how I could make up a low magic 15th century pirate setting. I could use the help. My e-mail is faultyclockwork@yahoo.com.

We'll do the window. I would love to do d20 but yeah, I found the idea of doing character sheets and turn based combat on a post by turn basis and with no built in template difficult. So we shall be using The Window. Check out Belial's Zombie Apocalypse thread for a link to the site for The Window.

Do not bother with the optional rule of sanity. Skills you could choose could include...

-Skill with various firearms.

-Skill with cutlasses, swords, rapiers, harpoons, etc.

-Shipping sailing ability.

-Navigation abilities, which could include ability to tell where the cardinal directions are, star reading, weather reading, etc.

-I'll probably be adding in some Shamanic cultures, and someone from there could have minor skill in hexing or weak magic, such as augury. Nothing over done and nothing flashy. It'll just be minor stuff, consult me about what types of "magic" a shamanic character would be using. I'll think about including Voodoo.

-Knowledge of local (being island and near by countries) customs, culture, and religion.

And other such things. I'm going to be fleshing it out quite a bit.

And Belial, I'll join the Zombie game when I get off my lazy ass and write my ideas down (for a character). ;P

I can't access my email from school, so I'll write up something now and do something later.

First of all, I meant 16th Century, not 15th. I always get confused with that. 1500's = 16th Century, hate it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Francis_Drake -- Theoretically all characters should attempt to be as successful as this guy.

So, basically, in the 16th Century Spain was a very powerful country due to pretty much owning all of America ever. English and Dutch sailors had to go farther afield, and it was these guys that went to India, Indonesia, and even a few ships as far as Japan and China. They generally had to take the route around Africa because the Pacific Ocean was so vast.

Pretty much everyone was in a constant state of confusion as to who was allied with who and who was at war with who, since decisions made in London about the state of affairs between Britain and the Netherlands would take the better part of a year to reach the Moluccas, where the battles were actually happening.

In America, there had been founded Dutch colonies in the North, which sort of avoided talking to the Spanish colonies. In fact, one of these cities is named New Amsterdam and was later traded to the British, when it was renamed New York.

Privateers would have letters of marque (properly lettres de marque, since this was shortly after Britain and France were the same country). Piracy is obviously illegal and pirates captured were killed. However, Privateers were technically not pirates, even though they pretty much did exclusively pirate things, generally not having the military hardware to go up against actual military ships. However, at this point, no Empire had an extreme naval advantage, like the British did in the 18th and 19th centuries. So most of a nation's naval power was measured in how many privateers they could hire. And of course privateers switched sides all the time.

• 2 months later...

I would so be up for this. But I would kinda need alot of help so I';m mainly looking at FC that little sex muffin.

Also on another note.

I'm up to it but if you'd late me tweak a few things... like... GHOST SHIPS... and tribes of... BEAR PEOPLE!

If I didn't have an awesome sig as it is this is possibly one of the best quotes ever.