Accelerated Evolution

Superman Returns

Superman will return this summer with Brandon Routh, the third actor to ever play Superman in a full-length feature film. Unlike his predecessors George Reeves and Christopher Reeve, Routh has an overwhelming responsibility to portray this American icon to the very best of his ability. While the responsibility of the role has been overwhelming in the past for Tom Welling of the Smallville television series and others before him, this new film continues where Christopher Reeve, the man who made Superman what he is today, left off.

Do you think Brandon Routh will be able to live up to the expectations of America? Will he surpass them? Do you think this film will be a worthy tribute to the legendary hero?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And by people, you really mean one person, right?

No... I count Bill, and I also argued against the mojority of Jame's gaming group.

On a side note, I don't suppose anyone else has seen "An Evening With Kevin Smith" where he's ranting about how he was suppose to write the script for this? Hilarious.

You have no idea how hard it is for me not to go into a nice long multi-post rant about how stupid Superman is...
Stupid overall or stupid at points? When he was singing the "Krypotonite Bop"(?) or shooting rainbows from his fingers, he was stupid. But I'd have to disagree with you when it comes to the better works, like Red Son.

Actually the problem is that most people assume the modern age Superman has all of the classic powers Superman is famous for in the mainstream. When in fact Superman has been vastly depowered ever since DC's huge legendary crossover event, Crisis on Infinite Earths. The powers people from the mainstream assume that he has actually belong to the Golden Age Superman, who is actually a seperate character from the Modern Age Superman.

While the Modern Age Superman still possesses tremendous power, he has only recently become the most powerful being on DC's main Earth. The title previously belonged to the Martian Manhunter. The current Superman is also capable of becoming omnipotent, which he has temporarily become once in order to defeat Brainiac (who had also become a god). However, Superman only achieved this by flying into the sun and temporarily absorbing more solar radiation than usual, so the omnipotence wore off, mostly from the battle.

Actually, if I recall correctly. Superman's only been depicted as a god three times:

1. In the Imperiex war, when he needed to defeat Brainiac.

2. In DC's 1,000,000 special that depicted the future of the DC universe, in which Superman now lives in the sun as a sleeping god waiting for the day that his adopted home world needed him once more.

3. In Kingdom, where the Golden Age Superman was revealed to have learned the secrets of Nirvana.

And yet, if needed too, Batman could probably still hand him his ass.

last sentence made me smile Arsinol, but you are so right about him being depowered after the crisis, I mean Precrisis Supes was fuckin insane with moving planets and shit, which I thought was really lame to begin withanyway, I like my heroes with some kinda flaw againt them in some way.

Set you are so right about the writers for the Superman issues, because like I said in the previous paragraph.. they tend to write him as a godlike person, but you need to think about the fact that this is DC's Icon, he is the most noted character around the world and everyone notices his "S" shield nmore then Batman's logo. I really fault the editors of DC for telling these guys to never show Superman cower in a fight or such, and did you know that they are so picky on how Superman was supposed to be pencilled because a certain artist wanted to put the "S" shield on his cape, and the editors said no, so he considered not pencilling for DC anymore because of it and thats sad.