Accelerated Evolution

The Etched City

Not too Cruel. A monster, not a brute.

Beth is so damn sexy!

Gwynn made a suffering face. "Elm, she's a woman. I'm just the male of the species. I couldn't convince her that the sun rises in the east if she preferred it to rise in the west," he said, getting laughter from some of the others.

This gave me some Heinlein flashes, but is a good look at their relationship at this point. It doesn't matter what Gwynn wants, and that is even more so put out by the way that Beth uses Gwynn for her art. It really seems to just build toward a one sided relationship.

Also the factor that Gwynn fears Beth could not just break it off with him at any moment, but just take off and leave without even telling him.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beth is so damn sexy!

Indeed she is. And so is Gwynn xD

This gave me some Heinlein flashes, but is a good look at their relationship at this point. It doesn't matter what Gwynn wants, and that is even more so put out by the way that Beth uses Gwynn for her art. It really seems to just build toward a one sided relationship.

Also the factor that Gwynn fears Beth could not just break it off with him at any moment, but just take off and leave without even telling him.

While your assessments of their relationship are fairly accurate, I think (especially Gwynn's increasing fear that Beth will just take off one day,) I really think the way he said that then was nothing more than an attempt to throw Elm off wanting to meet her with a sexist joke. Remember he felt kinda icky about the way he'd demeaned her in the conversation?

While your assessments of their relationship are fairly accurate, I think (especially Gwynn's increasing fear that Beth will just take off one day,) I really think the way he said that then was nothing more than an attempt to throw Elm off wanting to meet her with a sexist joke. Remember he felt kinda icky about the way he'd demeaned her in the conversation?

Well yeah, but I think he is growing to believe it as all these things about beth, her wanting to travel; her controling him, is really starting to get to him. It was part to throw Elm off, but there was a lot of truth to it as well.

What amuses me is that I'm only now realizing just how much of a comedy the story is. It's as much comedy as anything else. I mean really, it's like every page is laced with subtle, dead-pan humor, often of the black variety.

Isn't that what I said about the first scene with Gwynn and the Rev. And you were just "No, he is just devoted."

End of chapter 12 -

It seems to me, that the forces of life and death are playing out as a central theme in this book. And I'm sure I should have noticed it before XD.

Also some sense as a negitive view of love. Since the only characters who have been in love so far have been Marriott who can't pursue it, and Gwynn who seems to be going down a dead end.

Also a question of humanity is coming into play, with the scene with the lobotomy and the beings afterwards being less then human. And of course the deformed babies and alagator babies.