Accelerated Evolution

Designing Spirituality

Let us say, that you have the power to build a religion and a community around it. Give me a pocket description of your religion's moral and metaphysic...in other words, what it asks of its practitioners and what it believes about the universe.

I also want to hear what your community is like...are they active or restrained? What brings them together, regular services, observences, the time of year? How would they act?

I'm putting together my answer right now. Isn't it the way that one has to answer his own questions only after everyone else has?

TREE RELIGION!

Basically the idea is that love is the most important thing. Not the romantic love we all want, but the love for all living things, and nature helps us with that. Also it would be nice if everyone was bisexual but

"We consider the animals to be lower, and to me, that makes no sense at all. If you look at a tree or a mushroom or a squirrel, it's perfectly in tune with itself. It has no problem being exactly what it is, and it does what it's meant to do without any complaints or problems. Because we create all these problems in being, we think we're somehow higher than the animals. But it's we humans who have a difficult time even caring for our children, or anything." - mangum <3 zzz

XD; There's actually a lot to this, this is the religion I created and have been following for years.

Hmmmmm good question. :D

my religion would be a MEMORIZING PI/KNITTING CLUB.

we would all sit around and have a congregation while knitting and drinking warm or cold drinks depending on the weather. If someone had something to say or talk about or a topic they wanted to discuss or a problem or like a message to deliver or joke, they would say it, (similar to quaker) and then after that we would play music (people would choose and each person would have to pick something once) and start knitting and memorizing pi. (we would all know a lot of pi and wear sweaters, and the only people that would join would be the people who want to sit around and memorize pi for three hours.) If a person did not want to memorize pi or knit that would be ok too, they could do either/or, or neither and sit and read with us and it wouldn't be awkward, you know, "6242513, how's your garden going, 1342403005884, that's nice, i suggest gardenias"

oh yeah, we believe in tolerance of all beliefs and people (and love as lindsay mentioned) so our speeches would not be angry, sometimes we would sing. we do not believe in awkwardness and we don't believe it is a sin.

I have one of those crazy one-person religions, as such it doesn't need a name. It's just my religion.

The only real belief present is an approximation of the old Norse concept of Wyrd. Which I tend to see as a collective will that behaves something like fate but without the sense of individual impotence or fatalism (because if an individual trys hard enough s/he can alter the direction of this will).

Oh and I pray to the moon in a sort of abstract way. I call her Diana and she serves as a paradoxical and modernized version of Artemis. I also see her as my artistic muse (whatever the fuck that means) and the source of my creative energy. (This live journal entry from a few months ago should give you an idea of my relationship with her).

Oh and I pray to the moon in a sort of abstract way. I call her Diana and she serves as a paradoxical and modernized version of Artemis. I also see her as my artistic muse (whatever the fuck that means) and the source of my creative energy. (This live journal entry from a few months ago should give you an idea of my relationship with her).

Moon Turkey, too right~? TT

I actually did create a religion with a friend a while back in the hopes of utilizing an old school rule that said you could be excused from class for up to three hours a week for religious reasons. We would worship a god called Hodag who professed the value of experiencing Culture (read as going out to the movies or lunch at a Chinese restaurant). Of course once we started coming up with the details of the religion it started to snowball and ended up with me being the Hodaguii the prophesied Voice of Hodag, who's mission it was to select and teach Hands of Hodag to spread the word of my god. The plan would have worked most likely too, except we realized that by the time that we were both 18 and able to sign ourselves out of class, our senior years would be only a couple of weeks from over.

In summary: taking Dyson's idea of an omnidirectional halo of collective experiences a step further than it was probably intended (and given that it's Freeman Dyson, probably inaccurately too- there's just no way I can wrap my head entirely around it. x_x;). The metaphysics defines the "God"-symbol as the human collective consciousness- death, then, is merely the detaching of one's limited three and four-dimensional perspective for a fully developed omniscient and omnipresent superconscious.

I borrowed quite a bit of Discordianism for it as well- the kallisti concept introduced in Illuminatus! is borrowed heavily. We're all gods, priests and worshippers, and it's up to us on which of the three we want to be defined as. Unfortunately, given the law of five, we can also end up as the reverse of the desired paths- as a slave or our very own, personal Devil. >_>

My "religion" is like Zen Buddhism with a science twist. I call it Equationism. Followers are "equationists".

It would be based around the theories of quantum physics and string theory. In a sense it could be a faith, because those theories are just that- theories. There's a lot of evidence, but it's mostly mathematical and intangible.

In a sense, you could say that there's an entity involved. I guess you could call it "X". X is the solution to the problem, the missing link, whatever. The piece that doesn't fit. I guess it would be my religion's version of Satan, but it's not an actual being. It's a concept. We wouldn't believe in or worship a god (well... god wouldn't be one of the parameters set by the "church", but it wouldn't be restricted either. Meaning, the idea isn't specifically endorsed by the church, but neither does it say that belief in a god is totally out of the question).

Anyway, each follower of my school of thought would focus on eliminating X in their own minds, within the parameters of the theories which our "church" deems correct. Solving the equation for yourself with the tools we give you.

Oh yeah, moral values/other ideas involved-

-All ideas should be considered and lifestyles accepted.

-Peace is almost always the best solution. Almost always. Only in cases when more lives can be saved through war than inaction should people take up arms.

-Don't fuck with nature. It's to be respected, as it by itself is more complex than most human-designed machines.

-Honor is all important.

-Life and reality are just illusions; influenced entirely by perception. Very, very few things are universal from person to person.

-Martial Arts are strongly advised for mental/physical discipline.

-Rationality can ONLY be dispensed with in meditation, and this only to find truths about yourself.

The temples of my religion (they would be called Temples) would not be places of worship. They would be much like Zen Buddhist temples. They are places of learning, with lots of libraries full of books on physics and philosophy. There would be rooms devoted to meditation, etc. There would also be a built in martial arts dojo.

Our monks would be very well educated in Physics or a related field and would serve to explain complex concepts to the less educated followers to help them solve The Equation.

I don't know, it's less of a religion and more of a philosophy, but that would be it.

I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Seriously, here are my beliefs

1) respect others' beliefs. worship whatever God you want to however you want to, but bear others no ill will for their beliefs

2) focus on eliminating evil in yourself

3) Think. No one can think for you; you can be helped, but in the end its only you who can decide what goes on in your head

4) The Golden Rule is a damn good idea

5) Avoid hypocrisy. We all are hypocrites, I'm a hypocrite for saying that, but that's just all the more reason to strive for it

6) Don't fuck with the Earth, it just might to fuck with you

7) Acknowledge truth, acknowledge reality, but don't submit to them. (this is on a personal level, don't accept your limitations, stems from next one)

8) 90% of reality is perception, watch how you percieve the world

9) question everything, but be ready to remove doubt from your mind should the need arise

God, who I lovingly refer to as "The Boss", (no, not Springsteen) is somewhat of an artist, creating the universe for the sole purpose of expression. The Boss finished the work and realized, "I just created a huge, shiney, cool universe and there's no one to see it!" So The Boss puts some life forms on a handful of planets. But being that these lifeforms are so tiny in size, compared to the Boss, the Boss didn't put much detail into them... couldn't, really. But what the Boss did do was give the life forms the ability to grow into something that would eventually appreciate all that the Boss has made. So, the Boss leaves it all alone for a few million years while the Boss goes and makes some touch ups. The Boss comes back around the time that civilizations begin and says, "Holy shit! It's like an ant farm down there!"

"Well, they're almost ready, I suppose." speaks the Boss. At that moment, a single human soul (the soul of the first dead civilized human) leaves earth as we know it and ascends into the stars. The soul is awe struck by what we can only imagine to be the most beautiful site in all existence. The Boss says, "So, what do you think?" The soul struggles out an answer amongst the glorious vision. "It's incredible!"

"Just incredible? Or awesomely incredible?", asks the Boss.

"Well, it's hard to put into words.", peeps the lone soul.

"But you like it, right?", ponders the Boss, anxiously.

"I love it more than I did when I was alive. Living down there is nothing but huge moments of tragedy mixed with heart lifting points of happiness. It's confusing and tough. But now I can see that it's all worth the convolution of agony and exctasy that is living. Thank you."

"I'm glad you like it.", smiled the Boss widely.

And with open arms the boss guided the soul across the stars.

"It goes on into infinity...", pipes up the Boss, "and eternity is all the time you have to see it. So let me know what you think when it's all over. Ok?"

"You've got a deal.", says the soul. "But what about everyone else down there?"

"They'll get their chance.", grins the Boss.

And the soul wanders off, blending into the canvas of stars, something we'll all do one day.

• 3 weeks later...

my relegion wouldn't have gods persay, but its main influence would be nature. all aspects of your life would be based on nature. There would be no industry related (modern) machinery, such as vehicles, mechanized assembly lines, farming implements. And there would be no livestock. The only meat that would be eaten is that of hunted animals, and only to a certain extent, so not to kill off entire herds.

There would be no habitual pracitces (such as prayer), there would however be observed holidays at the beginning of every season.

Recently I've been thinking a lot of about the spirituality of logic. Yes, a bit like Star Trek. It's something to think about.

I always thought a lot of religions had too many 'rituals,' if you know what I mean. Going to church, praying, things like that. I think that's the sort of thing people should do for themselves. So a religion I made wouldn't have rituals, myths, or any of that sort of thing.

Recently I've been thinking a lot of about the spirituality of logic. Yes, a bit like Star Trek. It's something to think about.

I always thought a lot of religions had too many 'rituals,' if you know what I mean. Going to church, praying, things like that. I think that's the sort of thing people should do for themselves. So a religion I made wouldn't have rituals, myths, or any of that sort of thing.

rituals make sense. Church is a gathering place where people can become a community. It also serves as a refuge in times of strife.

Church is a gathering place where people can become a community. It also serves as a refuge in times of strife.

Community should be gathered through collective work and dialogues outside of a religious, man-made, institution. Also, to say that it's good for 'refuge' is pretty weak. Reality should always be more important than refuge. But then we might be getting into an even deeper debate, so alls I mean is: refuge = avoidance of questioning/looking/reality. etc. That's just my view though, so I ain't right. ;p

Alright, so rituals can be fun. But forced rituals are never any fun. Never.

For example, just this last weekend a few friends and I had a metal worship. We just holed up in a house and listened to metal for a few days straight. And slept and ate. It's a sort of ritual, yes, but we didn't get it from anywhere. It just sort of spontaneously happened.

Interesting. I'm very similiar. Although I usually view the moon as male. (Not always, but usually.)