Accelerated Evolution

Simpsons movie confirmed for 2007

Twentieth Century Fox has confirmed that popular animated TV series The Simpsons is to be made into a film.

The movie will be released in the United States in July 2007.

A 25-second trailer for the film has been shown to US audiences at screenings of Ice Age: The Meltdown, promising to introduce "the greatest hero in American history".

It then cut to Homer Simpson, wearing only his underwear, who admitted: "I forgot what I was supposed to say."

The Simpsons revolves around the antics of bald, beer-guzzling family man Homer and his spiky-haired son Bart.

International hit

It is the longest-running prime-time entertainment series on television in the US and a worldwide hit.

It is currently in its 17th season, and last month, US network Fox confirmed it had commissioned two more series.

This ensured the show would stay on screens until at least 2008.

There has long been speculation about whether it would be turned into a film.

Creator Matt Groening said last year that the animated hit would keep going as long as he and his colleagues could keep generating fresh ideas.

"That's what you're looking for in television - surprise," he added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4867252.stm

yeah, I'm not thinking it's gonna do too well, should've done the movie during the golden age of the simpsons.

I don't get that either. The Simpsons has definitley had the fan base to make it a successful film, so why have they waited so long? I hope I'm not disappointed, yet I am worried that I will be.

Word is that they're bringing back much of the old writing staff for the movie, including some consulting by Conan O'Brien.

Shearer (voice of Smithers/Burns/Flanders/etc.), who's been a vocal opposer of the recent seasons of the Simpsons has expressed renewed interest in the movie, saying it's a lot more like the Simpsons he helped to create.

Interesting stuff.

Word is that they're bringing back much of the old writing staff for the movie, including some consulting by Conan O'Brien.

Shearer (voice of Smithers/Burns/Flanders/etc.), who's been a vocal opposer of the recent seasons of the Simpsons has expressed renewed interest in the movie, saying it's a lot more like the Simpsons he helped to create.

Interesting stuff.

Yeah, the writing for the movie was my main concern. Knowing this puts me at ease.

"Creator Matt Groening said last year that the animated hit would keep going as long as he and his colleagues could keep generating fresh ideas."

*cough*

So The Simpsons actually ended years ago and a terrible time matrix has caused numerous episodes to be combined and jokes reused over and over which mysteriously show up in Fox executive's offices?

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know, I'm going to the school that Matt Groening graduated from.

That being said, the Simpsons used to be great and is now terrible. All hail Futurama, because it's always been funnier. Except when it didn't exist. Only then was the Simpsons funnier.

i always thought that too, but all muh homo friends said that futurama was lame....THEY ARE THE ONES WHO IS LAMMMEE