Accelerated Evolution

Iran + test firings = ?

Iran has test fired new high speed underwater missile

Associated Press

Sunday, April 02, 2006

TEHRAN, Iran -- Iran announced its second major missile test in a week, saying Sunday it has successfully fired a high-speed underwater missile capable of destroying huge warships and submarines.

The Iranian-made missile has a speed of 359 km/h underwater, Gen. Ali Fadavi, deputy head of the navy of the elite Revolutionary Guards, said.

He called it the fastest underwater missile in the world, but it has the same speed as the Russian-made VA-111 Shkval, developed in 1995 and believed to be the world's fastest, three or four times faster than a torpedo.

It was not immediately known if the Iranian missile, which has not yet been named, was based on the Shkval, or if it can carry a nuclear warhead.

"It has a very powerful warhead designed to hit big submarines. Even if enemy warship sensors identify the missile, no warship can escape from this missile because of its high speed," Fadavi told state-run television.

The missile test was conducted during the third day of large-scale military manoeuvres by tens of thousands of the elite Revolutionary Guards in the Persian Gulf and the Arabian Sea.

Iran on Friday test-fired the Fajr-3 missile, which can avoid radars and hit several targets simultaneously using multiple warheads. The Guards said the test was successful.

The missile tests and war games coincide with increasing tension between Iran and the West over Tehran's controversial nuclear program.

The United States and its allies believe Iran is seeking to develop nuclear weapons, but Tehran denies that, saying its program is for generating electricity.

The UN Security Council has demanded that Iran halt its uranium enrichment activities. But Tehran said its activities are "not reversible."

Iran launched an arms development program during its 1980-88 war with Iraq to compensate for a U.S. weapons embargo. Since 1992, Iran has produced its own tanks, armoured personnel carriers, missiles and a fighter plane.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/st...3af5ead&k=41704

I'm not really sure what to think about these test firings. Pretty hot topic I think.

This sounds a lot like the Russian shkval, and the Russians have been playing with this design for something like 40 years and still haven't found a way to make it safe and reliable. So I doubt the Iranians can do any better.

It is most likely unguided, meaning a very accurate track of the target ship would be needed. Something the Iranians may have trouble doing, especially antisub.

This torpedo is probably more of a noisemaker than a threat. Something they can launch from a sub or a ship to distract and worry the crew of the target (probably American) ship, while they escape or attack. Yes it could cause damage, but I'm not sure how much.

did you read the article? it mentions the shkval and explains it in enough detail to understand it.

yes I did. It's the same weapon that supposedly sunk the Kursk. This is an Iranian knockoff of a Russian weapon that likes to blow up Russian subs. I say we encourage the Iranians to build them.

I'm just quaking in my boots from this news.

Iran will get WMD's. We'll have to go and try to fix things. With the heightened religious extremism in Iraq post-Saddam it'll be hard for us to get out of there.

Fortunately, Iran will only have WMDs to say they have them. Everyone knows what happens if they get used anyway, and nobody really wants to deal with that.

That's a dangerous assumption to make. Similar to the one that started WWI.

And like I don't know this. It's not the same though. You see, the difference is that instead of dealing with a few lives we are dealing with an entire race. Everyone in power is knowledgeable of this.

Iran will get WMD's. We'll have to go and try to fix things. With the heightened religious extremism in Iraq post-Saddam it'll be hard for us to get out of there.

Fortunately, Iran will only have WMDs to say they have them. Everyone knows what happens if they get used anyway, and nobody really wants to deal with that.

You obiously don't listen to the people who say they are sad that they didn't die for Islam and hope that their sons can succeed where they failed. There are a sufficient number of phsychos in Iran that even if they don't do anything, and i wouldn't be too sure that the phsychos won't do something insane, the Israelis may feel the need to attack. If iran has nukes when that happens, we have the world's first two way Nuclear War.

You forget WWI. Millions of people dead, the stage set for WWII and the nuke, and why? Because 4 countries couldn't contain their egos. if the Kaiser, the Czar, the Serbs or the Austrians could have simply swallowed their pride, it wouldn't have happened. Russia swallowed its pride in Cuba, and we live. If Iran gets nukes, even if the martyr factions don't get it, we still have to deal with a people who believe it is their task to kill all of us who are americans, as well as all israelis.

The difference between WWI and now?

They didn't want a war with a hundred thousand casualties back in WWI- just Germany restored to what they believed was its rightful place amongst the world's powers.

These days, they want the Crusade to End All Crusades.

Alas, I'm personally not too worried about the "radar-avoiding" torpedo, though- hypervelocity torpedoes are damned hard to make, and if we Americans, with our thousands of scientists and geniuses to their handfuls, haven't refined the technology to the point that it's actually reliable, well...

The nukes, on the other hand, are worrisome. It's easy to build a nuke- just hard to get the uranium.

The difference between WWI and now?

They didn't want a war with a hundred thousand casualties back in WWI- just Germany restored to what they believed was its rightful place amongst the world's powers.

These days, they want the Crusade to End All Crusades.

Alas, I'm personally not too worried about the "radar-avoiding" torpedo, though- hypervelocity torpedoes are damned hard to make, and if we Americans, with our thousands of scientists and geniuses to their handfuls, haven't refined the technology to the point that it's actually reliable, well...

The nukes, on the other hand, are worrisome. It's easy to build a nuke- just hard to get the uranium.

Germany actually doesn't bear anywhere near all of the responsibility for WWI. Germany did help to escalate it, but Russia played every bit as large a role, and Serbia and Austria-Hungary played larger roles

Just because we haven't, doesn't mean they won't, just that its not likely that they will

The uranium is attainable. it might not be easy, but its far from impossible

Germany actually doesn't bear anywhere near all of the responsibility for WWI. Germany did help to escalate it, but Russia played every bit as large a role, and Serbia and Austria-Hungary played larger roles

Just because we haven't, doesn't mean they won't, just that its not likely that they will

Germany served as the catalyst, though- the situation could've easily brewed for another twenty years and spasmed before settling down as an earlier Cold War. Bismark's ambitions didn't exactly do much to keep things at an even keel...

Germany served as the catalyst, though- the situation could've easily brewed for another twenty years and spasmed before settling down as an earlier Cold War. Bismark's ambitions didn't exactly do much to keep things at an even keel...

Please have some knowledge of history. Austria and Serbia were more important to starting the war, and Russia was as important in escalating it as Germany was. Bismarck was dismissed by Kaiser Wilhelm before WWI. He was a moderating influence, and would probably not have escalated the violence. He helpaed set up the situation, with the war on France, but so did many others.

• 2 weeks later...

Every power that was in Europe played a role in starting WWI. It was started through back door politics, and stupid land grabs in Africa and the middle east. In reality, the first World War started years before any hostility became apparent.