Accelerated Evolution

I hate George Bush!

Fucker says he'll prevent price hiking at the pump, and then doesn't do shit, fucking bitch. I'm just about ready to punch the fucking "decider" in the face, he's so goddamn stupid! If gas companies aren't scalping us at the pump, then why the fuck does exxon/mobil have a profit margin in the BILLIONS? If gas is really so scarce that it has to be $3+ per gallon, the fucking oil companies should suffer, too. Bush and Cheney are both fucking oil whores, and I hope they burn in that which they hold so dear -- because it sure as shit isn't the American people!

Its gotten to the point where I haven't the energy anymore to be mad at ol' Dubbya, more just very very disappointed. Disappointed in my country that turns a blind eye to suffering in its streets and the streets of the world. That manufactures crusades to play out on prime time television so that the realities of the here and now are shrouded in the fog of war. That continues to consume and consume and consume until all is ash and dust.

Its gotten to the point where I haven't the energy anymore to be mad at ol' Dubbya, more just very very disappointed. Disappointed in my country that turns a blind eye to suffering in its streets and the streets of the world. That manufactures crusades to play out on prime time television so that the realities of the here and now are shrouded in the fog of war. That continues to consume and consume and consume until all is ash and dust.

You sure do enjoy being overly poetic at times.

Actually read through it, its not the alien conspiracy stuff its the real legitment questions asked by more than 60% of the country that never have been answered.

Charlie Sheen on various news shows or talk shows brought up these points as an avid follower of the 9/11 truth movement, he received stand applause from audiance members because the government is hiding this information and we (The americans who don't listen to the bullshit the government feeds us) want answers.

http://www.911truth.org/article.php?story=20060417135129284

After my trip to Europe I can safely say that we don't have it as bad as everyone here seems to think, especially in the realm of cars and streets. Sure we aren't any better off, though in gas prices and the quality of our street systems things are better. I tend not to really blame the President since really people blame the Prez for way too much, and praise him for way too much. That said, I don't like how Bush is overly optimistic with people on every issue. There comes a time when people need to know that there are problems we need to realize are happening and that it is our fault for not fixing them. Bush is one man, we are 300 million strong.

After my trip to Europe I can safely say that we don't have it as bad as everyone here seems to think, especially in the realm of cars and streets.

Yeah, true. I was just in a funk when I started my rant (I think that's the whole POINT of a rant *LOL*). When I went to England three and a half years ago, their gas prices were 1.50 or 2.00 GBP per litre. I can only imagine that their gas prices have gone up, as have ours, and they're probably paying in GBP/Liter, as we are USD/Gallon.

That being said, it's not just the gas prices that have me riled up. I seriously wish he could be impeached for gross negligeance(SP?) and outright stupidity. I honestly don't know how he got himself re-elected. Every time he talks, he sounds like a fool. Saying he's the "decider" is just so...stupid! I know he's made up more words, but that was the most recent infraction, and therefore the one that was basically the last straw. It's like trying to read a n00b's 1337 speak, and being unable to twist his arm into spelling correctly. I really should've majored in English :glare:

European streets are fine. It's just that Americans can't seem to go anywhere without 10 lanes in their highways and freeways ALSO we have the roundabout. WHY DO YOU HAVE TRAFFIC LIGHT INTERSECTIONS? Seriously. Roundabouts are simple European superiority.

Roundabouts frighten and confuse most Americans. I like them though. Nice and efficient.

Fucker says he'll prevent price hiking at the pump, and then doesn't do shit, fucking bitch. I'm just about ready to punch the fucking "decider" in the face, he's so goddamn stupid! If gas companies aren't scalping us at the pump, then why the fuck does exxon/mobil have a profit margin in the BILLIONS? If gas is really so scarce that it has to be $3+ per gallon, the fucking oil companies should suffer, too. Bush and Cheney are both fucking oil whores, and I hope they burn in that which they hold so dear -- because it sure as shit isn't the American people!

400,000,000 gallons of gas are consumed every day. Just in the US alone. Right now the oil companies are making about .30 cents profit per gallon.

that's $120,000,000 US... per day. 3.6 billion dollars a month.

Right now, North Carolina (where I live) takes 24.2 cents per gallon. In addition, 18.4 cents per gallon is added by the Federal government.

so about $0.75 is taxes and profits.. and the rest is the cost of buying oil on the open market.

Not much of that is going to change drastically. If you really want gas to cost less, one of two things has to happen. Demand has to be reduced... or supply increased. Gas cost what it does because that is how much we're willing to buy it for. If you aren't willing, stop buying it. It costs what it does because the less well developed world is developing, and as they slowly catch up on us technologically, so does their per-capita energy usage reach toward ours. The amount of oil available on the market is limited, because there are only but so much plant in the world, the pumps that pump it and the refineries that convert crude into gasoline. The demand is increasing. That VCR you bought that was made in China helped empower one more person to own an automobile, who is competing with you for oil. Reducing demand, is of course difficult, but you could get an electric. It would cost less to run, but it has a good number of trade offs... Everything does. The biggest is that instead of burning oil to move, you're burning coal. Which polutes more. At an energy loss. Because every time you convert energy from one form to another, you loose a little. You could use Ethonol. Except, if it's made of corn, it takes more energy to make it than you can get burning it.. and it takes more of it than gas because there's less energy in it, and the energy that it takes to make it mostly comes from oil. You get to depleat the soil as well. Because, you know, it doesn't already do enough damage.

... there are no simple answers. It doesn't matter who is in the White House. The reason Oil costs so much now has way more to do with increasing global demand than anything else. Just get everyone in the rest of the world to stop driving.. then you'll be able to fill your SUV for $9 a tank.

They're taking about the same %, maybe a little less than they were back in 1991 when oil was $15 a barrell. Sadly, it's not profiteering this time... it's supply and demand. You can increase supply by doing all that Alaska and off shore drilling that environmentalists have stood in the way of for the last 30 years, or you can buy less. Your choice. Or I suppose you can piss in the wind about the Prez, and find that even if a democrat gets into office next, it doesn't change for the better. Those gas lines were during Carter's watch, after all.

Oh, don't count on the middle east to just turn on more pumps and magically increase the global oil availablity. Right now they're pretty much at 100% capacity. It's going to get worse. Those people labeling China as the next superpower.. well, not with their present government, but they are growing.. and a growing economy is always hungry for more energy.

just for the US

you know, you pay more in gas taxes than the oil companies make in profits.

Those are all good points. I should probably delete this thread, because I'm done ranting. I wanted to rant, and that was my rant *LOL* I tend to forget how good I have it in this country, it just annoys me that the leader of the nation is such a hideous public speaker. He doesn't sound like he's trying, and therefore he sounds like he's talking down to the public, and also that he doesn't care. I hate politics in general, and consequently, that causes me to not pay attention to them. I guess you could say I'm politically ignorant. An interesting revelation.

Hearing everyone else's well-thought-out arguments has shown me that there's a lot I don't know (despite Wind's best efforts with his link). But that's also why I started this thread in the rant section; I was pissed off and ranting. I wasn't looking for a discussion or a debate. If I wanted that, I'd have posted this in SD&D *LOL*

Anyhow, I'm done ranting and bitching, but if you all want to have an actual discussion, feel free. I'll probably learn something.

I have to admit, though. With oil prices the way they are, I'm thinking we're going to develop a new energy source fairly soon. One of my best friends (who passed away years ago), had a theory that all energy sources are infinite; before we run out of a natural resource, we find something more efficient/available. I think it's a distinct possibility that we're going to switch over to a new, cheaper energy source before we run out of gasoline. I think that while gas is getting so expensive, we're simultaneously going through a period of change where we have to utilize a new energy source. And as with most general change, it is painful.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

*shrug* I was just ranting.

If it takes the oil companies #1.50 to make a $.0.30 profit, and the gas stations take $.20 off the top, and the state takes $0.20 off the top, and the feds take $0.20 off the top, and despite record breaking profits oil companies are using some of those record profits to pay multi-billion dollar debts.

Now.. let's compare to another industry... say... Microsoft. For each copy of windows sold, Microsoft makes somewhere around 85% profit. For each copy of office, somewhere around 90% profit. The total development, on going support, and everything for windows is 1 dollar on every 10 they get back. The massive multibillion dollar lawsuit the feds had going to break this monopoly... crumbled to a slap on the wrist against a company that brings in more every year than any state besides California, largely thanks to this administration. So, Microsoft is willing, nay, happy to loose money in every other part of it's business, slowly doing awesome things like making it hard or illegal to sell a computer that doesn't have an operating system on it.. making it harder for those of us who don't want any of microsoft's crap to buy a computer without paying them money. It doesn't matter to them if they ever make a profit on MSN or XBox. They just want to make sure you use those products rather than AOL, google, or Playstation. Then, when there is no competitors left.. that's when the prices go up to where they DO make a profit. The idea of MS being the OS under the satnav software in people's cars gives me shivers.

There's lots of low hanging fruit with this president, including how his religion flavors his policies, his current inclination to reward people who broke this country's laws to be here with free citizonship, his unwillingness to use his Veto power (so far, he's yet to Veto anything) that going after him for something that even if he somehow managed to convense the oil companies not to profit at *all* wouldn't change the costs much, seems rather.. you know.. off.

Has anyone else started to see all of the gas stations in their area putting in those huge, expensive signs up? You know, the ones that display the current price of gas in lights so that they can jack the prices up at a moments notice. Its amazing how well anyone connected to the oil industry is doing these days. :glare: