Accelerated Evolution

Omaha, Nebraska lawmakers trying to resegrigate schools

I think what he is saying is since white children seem to be doing better then black children they need different schools to help both of them improve. Not too far from the old “separate but equal”.

For some reason, he doesn’t think that different level classes are good enough to take care of the fact that there are different levels of students. His idea is to separate theses students into different schools, which, in my mind, is an idea that can only be supported by racism.

This would limit the mixing of the races in the schools, and create social inequality. If this were allowed to happen then the children in one district would get a much better education then the children in another. Not to say that doesn’t happen already, but we shouldn’t encourage the gap to grow.

Smaller classrooms, certainly. Really, fixing up schools isn't *that* hard. It's a problem you can actually throw money at and a lot of things will be fixed. Pay teachers more, get more teachers (same problem, basically. A lot of people don't become teachers because the pay is so terrible), when you have more teachers you can have smaller classrooms and more schools. There really is no disadvantage to any of these things, except that they cost a lot of money. But really, education of the young is probably one of society's more important functions. It allows society to exist, after all.

And those with better arguments don't always win. Those with more money always win, in America!

^ Eh, not nessecarily. "If one ethnic group isn't doing as well as another, seperate them and teach them differently" seems to be a good philosophy. I mean, why not? As long as the evidence is there.

i believe the quote is something like "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat its failures" or som,e such. Also pertinent "insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results." Maybe we should overturn Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas

And those with better arguments don't always win. Those with more money always win, in America!

No, those with more money who know how to use it always win, except against those with better mafias.

*cough* Data isn't racist. It can't be. And thus I say again, if one ethnic group is doing better than another, seperate them and teach them differently, based upon tests to determine where the problem lies.

But look at differences besides ethnic groups. Poor white kids do just as badly as poor black kids. Middle class black kids do just as well as middle class white kids.

*cough* Data isn't racist. It can't be. And thus I say again, if one ethnic group is doing better than another, seperate them and teach them differently, based upon tests to determine where the problem lies.

data can be wrong, taken out of context, deliberately misinterpreted and manipulated in dozens of other ways.

Seperate isn't equal. We learned this decades ago. I guarantee you that there will be black kids who are a better fit for the method used on whites and white kids who are a better fit for the method used on blacks. Also, as a side note, what about Asians, Native Americans, and various mixes?

But look at differences besides ethnic groups. Poor white kids do just as badly as poor black kids. Middle class black kids do just as well as middle class white kids.

And where's your evidence?

data can be wrong, taken out of context, deliberately misinterpreted and manipulated in dozens of other ways.

I don't see how "this many black kids got this average grade" and "this many white kids got this average grade" can.

Seperate isn't equal. We learned this decades ago. I guarantee you that there will be black kids who are a better fit for the method used on whites and white kids who are a better fit for the method used on blacks. Also, as a side note, what about Asians, Native Americans, and various mixes?

But you aren't being seperate for the sake of being seperate. You're seperating to teach different styles. Hell, the black and white kids could even switch buildings every week or something.

Black and white kids really don't learn any differently. Black children do less well in school generally because their families are poorer, and so their parent(s) are more removed from their life (have to work more) and they just can't afford other educational resources that richer white kids have. I don't really have a practical solution in this day and age, but definitley segregation will just make the problem worse.

^what is Vermont's Act 60?

I don't see how "this many black kids got this average grade" and "this many white kids got this average grade" can.

easily. As Ceraziefish is saying money may be more important than melanin. I haven't studied the reports but the word average is easy to abuse. You pick eather mean or median depending on which one helps you more. Without the quartiles, medians, standard deviations and probably a good deal more we can't know the whole story.

But you aren't being seperate for the sake of being seperate. You're seperating to teach different styles. Hell, the black and white kids could even switch buildings every week or something.

the reasons are unimportant. the fact is that one group (the black kids most likely, since they have less money) will get second-class treatment. if they do not get the same treatment, they cannot have equal treatment. early on it will most likely fluctuate as people adapt differently to the new system, but in the end it will not be equal. If they are being taught by different methods, then one method will be more effective than the other. What about sports teams and local politics? If this spreads to Ohio or Texas, they will not take well to having their football programs fucked with. In the South it will take already bad white-black relations and make them worse. The strife it would create out of school would be disastrous. This can't be allowed to happen, because that would overturn Brown V Board of Education.

Assume there is a difference in the way they teach black kids and white kids, and it produces somewhat decent results. What about the white kids who learn like black kids? Are they held back by stereotypes? Stereotypes usually have some sort of basis, but even the ones that come close to the truth are never right because there are exceptions.

I'm also stiill wondering about how mixed people will be dealt with (not to mention other ethnic groups)

I've talked about Act 60 a couple of times on here but heres a link:

http://www.state.vt.us/educ/new/html/laws/act60.html

What about private schools (vouchers) or the ability to choose schools? Because it seems to me that with Act 60, they would not only be easy to implement, but it wouldn't really be fair not to offer them.

Without either of those, I don't really see the point in this. After all, how can education really be free without free choice?

EDIT: Oh god, I'm starting to sound like GPS! :blink:

Somebody help me find out the link to the study where young blacks were scoring poorly on tests because the educational method was one that whites were 'attuned' to, but were then given the same test, this time exploiting their own proxemics, and aced it. :X I think I read about it in Sociology or Psychology or something, but time has paced since then and I forgot who was covering it.