Accelerated Evolution

Sagamond Dualist

That would be kind of crazy to see a guy bashing in skulls with two shields on his arms.

On a side note, I've always thought shields are incredibly underpowered in D&D. A heavy steel shield gives +2 to AC, big whoop. Shields are incredibly useful in melee combat. A man with a shield would usually have a big advantage over a man without one.

The problem is that AC is a terrible system, but making armor give DR makes everything unbalanced.

The other night I played some Fallout d20, which was all kinds of tight. Unfortunately, we had to fight a rather powerful radscorpion.

We couldn't kill it between three Brotherhood of Steel Initiates! It had so much DR (because our GM was using armor as DR rules, and Radscorpions, as you can probably imagine, have quite a bit of natural armor) that our guns would not damage it. There was no way around it, because our guns were doing only 2d6 ~ 2d8 damage. Even in the Fallout Universe, which is pretty unrealistic, you can drop a radscorpion with 2-3 shots from a decent gun. We had above decent guns, but we couldn't kill it!

Basically I'm mad at d20. You have to do a lot of houseruling to make it decent, and then it still is annoying.

I'm liking the Serenity system, but I think I'm going to do some house rules to make it more lethal.

Anyway, I was talking with Faulty while he was designing this class, and it's one of the coolest classes I've ever heard of. Most prestige classes are really lame, I think.

Basically I'm mad at d20. You have to do a lot of houseruling to make it decent, and then it still is annoying.

Damn straight. While it's still better than classic D&D, the d20 system still has a very faulty combat system. The only reason I think they decided to retain the AC system was to keep the classic feel of D&D alive. D20 is a skill based system, so one would imagine that it would use skills for things such as defense and combat. But they decided to break away from that to remain loyal to the 1st and 2nd edition D&D.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I just adjusted parts of the abilities Mastery of Blocking and Dashing Barrage.

I like d20. I'm fond of it. There are some problems yeah, but house ruling can be fun and I don't think AC is so bad. D: I never liked DR as armor though. If skills were used to increase defense and offense the main tanks, Fighters, would be at a disadvantage with 2 + Int modifier skill points per level. :huh:

Anyway, I was talking with Faulty while he was designing this class, and it's one of the coolest classes I've ever heard of. Most prestige classes are really lame, I think.

On this note I have to agree. :O They keep churning out new core and prestige classes. It is getting stuuuuupid. I mean, I like prestige classes and all. Being able to specialize and be a bit more unique is great, but you end up with stupid/inane/uninspired/overpowered/underpowered/cheesy prestige classes and stuff. Same with core classes. The Spellthief from Complete Adventurer is one of the most uninspired pieces of D&D crap I have ever seen. :| Some prestige classes rock my socks though. Shadow Dancers are ownage.

I wanna start a project where I turn the majority of of Dark Age of Camelot's classes into prestige classes and maybe if I can do it right, stat the races too. DAoC has some pretty cool and inspired classes.

• 2 months later...