Accelerated Evolution

Report: 'Star Trek' set for '08 revival

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/...reut/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- More than three years after the last "Star Trek" movie crashed at the box office, the venerable sci-fi franchise is being revived by the director of the upcoming "Mission: Impossible" sequel, Daily Variety reported in its Friday edition.

The as-yet-untitled "Star Trek" feature, the 11th since 1979, is aiming for a fall 2008 release through Paramount Pictures, the Viacom Inc. unit looking to restore its box-office luster under new management, the trade paper said.

The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle "Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5. Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also help write and produce.

Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

The paper described "Star Trek" as Hollywood's most durable performer after James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

The 10th film, "Star Trek: Nemesis," bombed at the box office on its December 2002 release, earning just $43 million in North America. Last year, Viacom-owned broadcast network UPN pulled the plug on the low-rated series "Star Trek: Enterprise" following a four-season run.

Nemesis is my favorite Star Trek film. :( wtf people.

Well there were alot of reasons.

Mainly because the movie before this one was so awful.

On top of the fact that, like insurrection, Nemesis tried to push Picard to the limit to show his best. Which had already been done in First Contact. Many believe First Contact the best they could have done, and enough to put TNG to rest. Mostly because it drew from the series, but sealed a few holes.

After we watched I was thinking (and I don't remember if I told you, you were probably sleeping) if they wanted to trump First Contact and make Nemesis the ultimate showdown for Picard, he should have died. The Enterprise could have gone on with Riker as captain, and Data as first officer. Picard is too old and been a captain too long, realisticly, anyway. He'll be up for promotion very soon. To have him die to save Earth, and defeat his double while handing over Enterprise-E to Riker would have been a worthy end to TNG. But what they did, is basicly rip off Star Trek 2, i that Data; like Spock, has a chance to come back.

And unfortunately Picard couldn't scream "KHAAAAN" which would've been amazing.

But I do agree with what you said about Nemesis. I think there was the potential to kill off Picard (As sad as that sounds) since really he reached the ultimate level of awesomeness in First Contact.

But I do agree with what you said about Nemesis. I think there was the potential to kill off Picard (As sad as that sounds) since really he reached the ultimate level of awesomeness in First Contact.

Also that the death of a character at the end of his ultimate trial is something that comes up a lot in my stories XD

Much like Sherlock Holmes death in order to defeat Professor Moriarty

And unfortunately Picard couldn't scream "KHAAAAN" which would've been amazing.

But it was his clone. So he would have yelled "MEEEEEE"

Well there were alot of reasons.

Mainly because the movie before this one was so awful.

On top of the fact that, like insurrection, Nemesis tried to push Picard to the limit to show his best. Which had already been done in First Contact. Many believe First Contact the best they could have done, and enough to put TNG to rest. Mostly because it drew from the series, but sealed a few holes.

After we watched I was thinking (and I don't remember if I told you, you were probably sleeping) if they wanted to trump First Contact and make Nemesis the ultimate showdown for Picard, he should have died. The Enterprise could have gone on with Riker as captain, and Data as first officer. Picard is too old and been a captain too long, realisticly, anyway. He'll be up for promotion very soon. To have him die to save Earth, and defeat his double while handing over Enterprise-E to Riker would have been a worthy end to TNG. But what they did, is basicly rip off Star Trek 2, i that Data; like Spock, has a chance to come back.

I knew it was gonna be Data when he first gave him that chip but didn't wanna believe it and agree that Picard should have died. Not that I wanted such a thing, but it would have been a true ending to the series.

Picard would never leave the Enterprise; he would have never accepted promotion. Kirk had told him that, and I think he took it to heart. He loved his ship and crew too much to leave it, anyways. And you can't have an old man running a ship.

it was very star wars esque to fit in with the other sci fi films.

a pretty romulan with purpleish hair.

a tattoine planet. worf shooting stuff from the back of a car thing, all AHAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA. data just like whaoh.

a mini me of picard who was very evil. a retarded data, B-4.

troi got another mind fuck. literally.

lots of the battles were star trooper esque.

picard tried to destroy the enterprise, again.

data saves the day. again.

im telling you guys, ever since i saw that one ep of TNG (forgot the name, he was in the holodeck with a beard acting out the tempest w/ picard), data is jesus.