Accelerated Evolution

alright gang, here's my big project

so in 4 months i start my last semester of school and i'm doing my thesis, which is 10-12 works of art working in a theme. i thought for a long time, sleepless nights, about what i know the most about and what i'm into enough to want to do a body of work about and sho nuff, looks like it's heavy metal

i won't get into the logistics of the whole project now since it will sound all artsy and gay, but long story short i'm giving each of (what i consider) the ten most legitimate genres of metal their own drawring/painting. problem right now is that i've got a crazy shortage of black, grind, gothic, prog, thrash, and i don't really know what the essential albums are from power metal. i mean yeah, i've got stuff from each genre but not enough to claim total knowledge of them

so i guess right now what i need from youze guys are lists of the ESSENTIAL prog, black, grind, and power metal albums. try not to geek out and suggest your fave albums, try and be historical. like if someone wanted the essential death metal albums i wouldn't tell them to pick up some Throne of Chaos or Esqarial

after we figure out which albums are mandatory i'll be hittin youze guys up for some tunes. Chrono already knows i'll be raping him of gothic metal for weeks to come :crube:

yeah dude, definite help. thanks

i'm going to have to use my better judgement as this project rolls along, since everyone has their own idea of what goes in which genre. i mean, i have King of the Dead and it's definitely more Heavy metal than Power. but that's just nitpicking...

i was just screwing around in the Metal Crypt and they have a pretty reasonable list of genre histories. wiki is OK, but i've found enough misplacements to know better than to rely on it

for black metal ... i'd go with...

coven - witchcraft

venom - black metal

mercyful fate - don't break the oath

mercyful fate - melissa

bathory - bathory

bathory - blood fire death

mayhem - de mysteriis dom sathanas

burzum - hvis lyset tar oss

immortal - pure holocaust

darkthrone - transylvanian hunger

mayhem - pure fucking armaggedon

emporor - in the nightside eclipse

graveland - the celtic winter

enslaved - vikingligr veldi

those are in my opinion the most important black metal albums out there... if i could think of some more, i'll list them later.

for black metal ... i'd go with...

coven - witchcraft

venom - black metal

mercyful fate - don't break the oath

mercyful fate - melissa

bathory - bathory

bathory - blood fire death

mayhem - de mysteriis dom sathanas

burzum - hvis lyset tar oss

immortal - pure holocaust

darkthrone - transylvanian hunger

mayhem - pure fucking armaggedon

emporor - in the nightside eclipse

graveland - the celtic winter

enslaved - vikingligr veldi

those are in my opinion the most important black metal albums out there... if i could think of some more, i'll list them later.

That is an almost perfect list.

for grind i would say

The Red Chord -

Napalm Death - Scum/ From Enslavement to Obliteration

Pig Destroyer - Prowler in the Yard

Converge - Jane Doe

Cryptic Slaughter - Convicted ?

The locust?

thats all the half-way good groups can think of.

Gothic Metal bands and important albums

Within Temptation – Mother Earth

Crematory - Transmigration

Type O Negative – October Rust

Silentium - Sufferion-Harmartia Of Prudence

Dreadful Shadows – Buried Again

Tristania – Beyond the Veil

The Gathering – Mandylion

EverEve – Stormbirds

Goresleeps - Far Away From Anywhere Else

Charon – Downhearted

The Gathering – Night Time Birds

Heavenwood – Swallow

Ram~zet – Escape

Theatre of Tragedy - Velvet Darkness They Fear

Draconian - Where Lovers Mourn

Theatre of Tragedy - Theatre of Tragedy

Lacrimas Profundere – Memorandum

On Thorns I Lay - Crystal Tears

Lacrimosa - Fassade

Sentenced - Frozen

Love Like Blood - Enslaved + Condemned

Left Hand Solution - Light Shines Black

Ashes To Ashes - Shapes Of Spirits

Christian Death, Depache mode ( considering most of gothic metal bands I have ever looked up has considered them an Influence of some kind) and Sisters of Mercy were very important in the formation of gothic metal but I haven’t really listened to any of their stuff. Since Gothic Metal is a very vague genre often combining with many other metal genre’s im not even about to try to separate them into categories.

For prog I think:

Dream Theater

Pain of Salvation

Symphony X

Vanden Plas

Queensrÿche

Opeth (maybe?)

Liquid Tension Experiment

That's all I got for now.

I'd keep the Dream Theater, and the Queensryche, maybe the Pain of Salvation, i'd throw everything else out and add...

Porcupine Tree

Van Der Graaf Generator

Rush

Ayreon

Cynic

Fates Warning

Savatage

they're all legit in their own ways. surprised no one mentioned Fates Warning earlier though, since most of my reading says they're pretty much the predecessors to DT, who defines prog for most of the world

never heard Van Der Graaf Generator, but i'll definitely check them out if for no other reason than having Fripp play with them :cool:

thanks guys :crube:

*and if anyone has some Spiral Architect i'll be hitting you up for that, despite the abysmal vox

**and dont' rely on progarchives for anything metal related evar. for being "the thinking man's music" there are sure a lot of stupid fucks on that site

they're all legit in their own ways.

they definitely are, i didn't mean at all to say that the others are in any way unimportant prog bands or anything, so i hope no one took that the wrong way. we all know that opeth is definitely amongst my favorite bands :crube:

good luck with the project T

Artist for prog rock left out.

(Early bands)

Jethro Tull - Thick as a brick (whole album)

Yes - Close to the Edge

Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

The Nice - The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack

Genesis - ...And Then There Were Three....

Franck Zappa (I think had a prog rock album)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Pink Floyd - Meddle

The Soft Machine - Volume Two

King Crimson

(90's)

"The Smashing Pumpkins" and "Soundgarden" were a couple of bands who bridged the gap between Alt rock and prog.

I was thinking of mentioning prog rock. But he is doing a metal project.

Well... A lot of the early prog rock (Tull, Yes, etc.) paved the way for what prog metal is today, so you definitely cannot just omit them because they are "not metal"

• 3 weeks later...

While I don't know many grindcore bands per say, Converge certainly isn't the sort of band I'd group in that style. The first well known grind band that comes to mind is Pig Destroyer. I've never heard Nasum or Napalm Death, but I usually see them labeled grind, and there's always Agoraphobic Nosebleed and Anal Cunt.

Daughters and An Albatross certainly have a heavy grind influence, and I'm pretty sure at least the former are rather well known. I don't know if they have any actual historical significance though.

I noticed your thrash list in the other thread lacked Metallica. No matter what they've since become, they were undeniably crucial in making thrash (and metal in general) relatively popular.

As for your black metal list, I have never even heard of Coven, which tells me they couldn't have been all that influential. Bathory's self titled release and Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse and/or Wrath of the Tyrant should not only be on the list but at the top of it.

I have never heard the Mayhem demo you mentioned, but if we're going from a historical standpoint, I doubt it's more noteworthy than De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. While I think the album completely blows, the drama surrounding it had an enormous impact on the scene.

I have to be up in 5 hours. I will think about this more some other day.

i'm not going to quote all that good stuff because it's right up there, so in order...

-did we really forget Agoraphobic and Anal Cunt?? jesus...

-i haven't heard Daughters or Albatross, but i've heard em mentioned and someone here is bound to know more about their places

-the list in the other thread has been exorcised of albums i already have. i've been into Metallica since i was ten :laugh:

-same deal as with Metallica

and Stranger! we forgot Psychotic Waltz! how the fuck did that happen?!