Accelerated Evolution

Marijuana loophole?

Arcane

[ClickPress, Thu Apr 27 2006] Craig X Rubin, a leading proponent for ending the prohibition on Marijuana, has launched www.temple420.org the first legal Marijuana church. Craig X Rubin founded temple420.org as a result of the landmark Supreme Court Case “Gonzales vs. O Centro Espirita Beneficiente Uniao do Vegetal”.

In this historic case, with Chief Justice Roberts delivering the opinion, the high Court ruled in a unanimous decision (8-0) that:

“The Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993, requires the government to permit the importation, distribution, possession, and use of a Schedule I hallucinogenic controlled substance, even when Congress has found that the substance has a high potential for abuse, it is unsafe for use even under medical supervision, and its importation and distribution would violate an international treaty. Marijuana is a Schedule I hallucinogenic controlled substance. Therefore, the Supreme Court has ruled that religious freedom is more important than drug laws.”

www.420.org’s first order of business is signing up new members nationwide via its web site. For a limited time new members receive a lifetime membership to the temple for $100, which protects them from prosecution in all 50 states. “Our members will never be convicted of marijuana possession again,” said founder Craig X Rubin. “Marijuana is basically legalized at the federal level since religious pot is now protected by the Constitution, unlike medical marijuana, which is only protected by local jurisdictions. I have dedicated my life to ending the prohibition of Marijuana and I have finally had my day in court.”

Additional Information:

Craig X Rubin, in addition to being a recognized and respected leader in the legal Marijuana industry, is a writer, SAG comedian and has made guest appearances on the show “Weed.” He recently wrote the book “90210 Grow”.

http://www.clickpress.com/releases/Detailed/12138005cp.shtml

And the church's website: http://www.temple420.org

Is this legit or what? I have no intentions of spending $100 to join this church since I've only smoked a few times and have no intentions of ever buying marijuana... but this thing just screams "SCAM" to me.

1. I'm with Set on this one. And Craig X Rubin makes enough money from everything else he does, so fuck him.

2. The Union of the Vegetable trial was for the use of Ayahuasca tea in a US chapter of a Brazilian church. They ruled it was ok to use. Based on this ruling any hack who wants something legalized will come up with a religion to give an excuse. I don't know how religious of a man Craig Rubin really is so I can't really make any judgements on that topic. http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/424/un...ousruling.shtml

3. It's ok for the Native American Church to use peyote for religious reasons.

4. I can't find anything that says this is/isn't a scam, so I'm at a loss. But I don't think this has garnered enough attention yet to the point where if you pay $100 and get the membership card, you can just wave it in front of a police man and have nothing happen.

Even if you are a member of this church,at this point in time, you're still gonna have to go through the hassle of going to court, etc. And who knows if someone will actually come to your defense? How can he truly guarantee?

Im currently looking into it… but I find it odd that google news only has one article for this story. Also, if this isn’t a scam, then someone is bound to try and use it as a defense soon enough, at which time I believe that the ruling will be, overturn.

But if this terns out to be legiti, and holds out in court, then im joining