Oblivion rating changed

Baltar

Uh, guys... I'm pretty sure this has more to do with the fact that the ESRB reportedly only got two hours into the game, and never turned the gor effects up/on. I mean, your first trip to Oblivion is clearly warranting an M rating, stop being idiots.

Why do I care? I'm 17!

This is only complained about by people who aren't old enough to purchase the games anyway.

I care because it shows just how incompetent the ESRB is. Self regulation still creates censorship, and the group regulating apparently has no clue what they are doing.

Bethesda's response:

http://www.bethsoft.com/news/pressrelease_050306.htm

What a fucking joke... I don't think many people understand what this means. Every game is now either going to have to be rated M/AO or they're going to have to come down on and put an end to all mods!

I think it's the latter that will be more likely to happen. I doubt there will be an end to all mods, but developers are going to start making modability much more limited because of this.

I doubt there will be an end to all mods, but developers are going to start making modability much more limited because of this.

I don't know, I think the ESRB's made an example of Oblivion and GTA:SA.

Modifiable games will probably now be made so that they'll get an M rating as is (rather than a T rated game, where nudity would be unacceptable), so that all the ESRB and Thompson can do is bitch when people make nude patches. The fact that Obliv and GTA:SA are both M and not AO shows that the ESRB probably won't go to an extreme and bump any future games up to AO unless they really deserve it.

Bethesda is taking steps to ensure that modders can not continue to hack into Oblivion’s art archives to create partially nude figures.

The TES Construction Set will be left as is and we can still have mods.

Just no nude/texture altering (adding in custom textures for custom things will probably still be available) mods. Which most of us probably aren't interested in anyway.

Alright, so how about a little "Warning: Content may change if you change the content" sticker?

paper.jpg

Seriously though, the ESRB needs to get school'd on computer games if they are going to rate them. It's too bad Bethesda didn't take the opportunity to call the ESRB a bunch of idiots :(