Final Fantasy IX

Wind

Well, I posted about it in the currently playing thread quite abit, but nobody really responed with insight and opinions about the game soo...

I started re-playing it on sunday, and currently I'm around 13 hours in, currently I am at "Pinnacle Rocks" searching for the 5 pieces so I may acquire Ramuh as a summon.

I forgot who absolutley delightful this game is, from it's beautiful sceneary, character design, wonderful music score, gripping plot, and ofcourse it's just plain FUN aswell!

If all things go well I want it beat by next weekend, we shall see if I can accomplish my mission :tongue: .

So anyway, how do you all feel about this PSX classic and squaresoft masterpiece?

this game kicked ass, the graphics are amazing for the psx, especially sincei t was originally due out on the ps2. but yeah between chrono chross and ff9 I have very vivid flashbacks of grade school. Awesome stuff.

"ff 7 has the big sword. ff 8 has the gunsword.... what does ff9 have?"

"the tail guy."

"the tail sword?"

I think a penny arcade went something along those lines, just felt I should post it cause it be funny

this game kicked ass, the graphics are amazing for the psx, especially sincei t was originally due out on the ps2. but yeah between chrono chross and ff9 I have very vivid flashbacks of grade school. Awesome stuff.

"ff 7 has the big sword. ff 8 has the gunsword.... what does ff9 have?"

"the tail guy."

"the tail sword?"

I think a penny arcade went something along those lines, just felt I should post it cause it be funny

haha yeah i remember that comic XD.

I'm like 14 and a half hours in now at the "Outer Continent" Dwarven town, so leetsoup. I'd be playing more now if I wasnt overly drowsy from being over medicated.

I played it when it came out six years ago, beat it, and haven't played it since. I started a guy last year, actually, but then stopped again. FF9 was good. If I played it again, I'd probably like it more. I just sorta ended up in a non-RPG slump. FFX basically killed the genre for me until I played DQ8 last week. That's right, I haven't played any new RPGs since FFX (unless you count Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, FFTA, and Fire Emblem).

I remember naming Vivi after me. I always give my favorite character my name. It usually works out. They do what I would do in their situation, and say what I would say. That didn't work out so much for Vincent or Squall, but Vivi fit me perfectly, hehe.

My issue with FF9 was that it did the whole "mist makes monsters crazy" plot device that Legend of Legaia cranked out a year or two before. Also, the hidden boss was named "Ozma" one of the Ra-seru of Legaia. I don't know if that was intentional, but they copied a lot, and I didn't like that. FF had a flair for originality, and the lack thereof killed a lot of the enjoyment that I could have gotten from FF9. Also, the thing producing the mist was a tree, and in Legaia, trees pushed the mist away. To that, I'll give square the benefit of the doubt after hearing that X-Death was a tree, so maybe it was a hail back to that. Another aspect was the last boss Necron, which totally came out of nowhere. I mean, come on, they steal the name from Fire and Ice, and then just stick him in at the end of the game? The least they could've done is have Kuja manipulating him, or something, but Kuja had already been KO'd.

So, there were a lot of reused/stolen/recycled story bits that I simply didn't appreciate. The REST of the game was really good. The battle system felt laggy, though. I appreciated the abbreviated summon animations after the mini-movies from FF8. The characters were all delightfully unique, and it was pretty cool being able to forge butterfly/swallow blades for Zidane.

I <3 chocobo hot & cold. If nothing else in the game pleased me, that was well worth the effort. All kinds of great treasures, and even being awarded a flying choco. Fun fun fun!

I still hate FF9. To me it feels like they lost all the innovation they had going for them and decided to return to the safe zone in order to make some money. The only good thing to come out of ff9 was Vivi. Everything else was a retread including the ultimate suck, the end boss you didn't know about the entire game but suddenly is thrown on you at the last second and therefore gives you no emotional value for defeating.

Mediocre game, awful final fantasy.

Well, people that complain that it didn't broaden the series horizons seem to dismiss the fact that the game was created around the central idea of the series returning to it's roots.

Square felt like series was going to evolve into a different franchise after it jumped to the PS2, and wanted to create an experience that would "warm" the hearts of longtime fans, if you will.

I enjoyed the game immensely, the character progression and the characters themselves rival FFVI's cast because they were so well thought out and portrayed. I didn't mind running through lavishly detailed medieval environments, some people actually see this as some sort of annoyance, even though IX had the best pre-rendered backgrounds of any game to date.

In essence, the game was the incarnation of what the original games were trying to accomplish, and didn't bog itself down with trying to appeal to the "cool" crowd like FFVII and VIII did, it kept a simple story with wonderfully written characters.

I will agree that I felt that FF9 was a big step backward. I think it might've been better on the PS2, especially after playing FFX.

I wasn't trying to be mainstream or 'cool' when I played FF7 & 8, those games were great, stand-out RPGs. Gimp basically said everything I was thinking about 9.

I have no problem with the "oldschool" feel. In fact, FF6 is one of my fave games (though I never got to the end of it). I loved FF5, too, but the PSX port is horrid. I look forward to FF5 on GBA, so I can hopefully play a glitch-free variation.

FF9 had the oldschool feel with the oldschool problems -- most notably, the slowed down battle system. I liked FF being more fantasy than technology, but there wasn't a whole lot new, and as I mentioned before, quite a bit stolen. I honestly think the FF9 dev team could have made an original game, and hailed back to FF's origins, without being such damn copy cats.

The battle system felt slowed down...the commands didn't seem to work as quickly as in FF8. For example, in FF8, the commands activated so quickly that in one of the flashback battles, it looks like Laguna is shooting at Ward as he runs to get his spear back. In FF9, you press "attack" and everything just sits there for a moment.

As I said before, I appreciated the abbreviated animations in FF9, versus the mini-cutscenes from FF8. Though for what they were in FF8, they were awful damn pretty. But For basic commands, like "attack", there's a delay that wasn't in 8, and not really necessary, as far as I can tell.