I need a new rpg

Cip

Up until about few months ago I hadn't touched an RPG in over 3 years but then I started playing Chrono Trigger and beat it after a few weeks. Now I need a new rpg to play the only problem is most of the rpgs I play dont really appeal to me where as that other small percent grab me by the balls. The few rpgs that I really got into were Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Suikoden I, FFIX, and FFVII, for some reason all the other FF games I couldnt get into as easily, Im not neccesarily looking for any rpg with stunning graphics, just a game that you can get into, so any help would be greatly appriciated.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ever play Xenogears for the PSX? Most of the Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross team worked on Xenogears, and it's music is done by the same guy as the Chrono games, Yasunori Mitsuda, who blows Nobuo Uematsu away in my opinion. That, and it has the deepest and most complex story that I've ever seen in an RPG, along with one of the most entertaining combat system (plus giant mechs). If you haven't played it, PLAY IT NOW!

Did you ever play Xenogears for the PSX? Most of the Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross team worked on Xenogears, and it's music is done by the same guy as the Chrono games, Yasunori Mitsuda, who blows Nobuo Uematsu away in my opinion. That, and it has the deepest and most complex story that I've ever seen in an RPG, along with one of the most entertaining combat system (plus giant mechs). If you haven't played it, PLAY IT NOW!

yeah Ill have to check xenogears out, and yeah yasunori mitsuda is a genius I have the chrono chross ost and its amazing..

and wind, I never beat FF4 that was sean who said he beat it when he bought it with the chrono trigger pack, I never owned FF4 up until I got the rom on my dreamcast

- Front Mission

I agree. Front Mission is a fun little game. Well, I've only played the third one myself, but still. On a side note, has anyone played the sidescrolling, japanese only spinoff of Front Mission? It's really fun.

If I ever buy a shotgun, I'm painting 'Odin M98' on the side of it.

Also, I'll echo what FC said and suggest Final Fantasy Tactics. I love that game. You have to do a bit of power leveling in the opening chapter, but it's one of those games that has such a fun combat system it doesn't really matter.

Also, Secret of Mana is really fun. ROMs grow on trees, and it has a great multiplayer mode. I suggest it x1000. If you like it, check out the sequel, Seiken Densetsu III, which you can find english patches for around. It's arguably better but I found it harder to pick up and play for some reason.

yeah Ill have to check xenogears out, and yeah yasunori mitsuda is a genius I have the chrono chross ost and its amazing..

and wind, I never beat FF4 that was sean who said he beat it when he bought it with the chrono trigger pack, I never owned FF4 up until I got the rom on my dreamcast

dude, roman numerals IX is NINE. lol

IV is four VI is six lol

I'll second this recommendation.

I also add anything Suikoden... mainly II or V though.

Skies of Arcadia I was 20 hours in when I temporarily stopped, I plan on beating it after I run through IX. Skies is totally awesome...

Grandia II is said to be awesome and I have that burned aswell, so if you wanna use your dreamcast those are 2 choices I can help you with.

I agree. Front Mission is a fun little game. Well, I've only played the third one myself, but still. On a side note, has anyone played the sidescrolling, japanese only spinoff of Front Mission? It's really fun.

If I ever buy a shotgun, I'm painting 'Odin M98' on the side of it.

Also, I'll echo what FC said and suggest Final Fantasy Tactics. I love that game. You have to do a bit of power leveling in the opening chapter, but it's one of those games that has such a fun combat system it doesn't really matter.

I'm talking about the Front Mission for the SNES, which I played to completion after the translations was released on ROM. I became obsessed with it because of the sheer amount of custom parts for each mech, and how it could effect the very way you carry out a battle plan. The entire game, in my opinion, was way ahead of it's time and wasn't trumped until FFT/Ogre Battle came around.

I also have played Front Mission 2 (the sidescrolling one, forget what exactly the games full name was), which I had a hard time with because I don't think there's an English translation for the game out yet, but I last played it 3 years ago and was totally stuck early in.

But seriously, if anything, pick up FFT just because it is an amazing Strategy-RPG that will consume you if you get too close.

Tales series...

Tales of Symphonia..Genis is a beast in this game

Tales of Legendia..I heard this was another good series also

ToL sucks. Play Tales of Phantasia again instead. Or wait for Tales of the Abyss, which is supposed to be the best game yet.

I'm talking about the Front Mission for the SNES, which I played to completion after the translations was released on ROM. I became obsessed with it because of the sheer amount of custom parts for each mech, and how it could effect the very way you carry out a battle plan. The entire game, in my opinion, was way ahead of it's time and wasn't trumped until FFT/Ogre Battle came around.

I also have played Front Mission 2 (the sidescrolling one, forget what exactly the games full name was), which I had a hard time with because I don't think there's an English translation for the game out yet, but I last played it 3 years ago and was totally stuck early in.

But seriously, if anything, pick up FFT just because it is an amazing Strategy-RPG that will consume you if you get too close.

Yeah, the sidescrolling one was very fun, but unfortunately I am not a big reader of the Japanese, so that severely limited my enjoyment of it.

PS2:

Dragon Quest 8 -- you have to do a bit of leveling to get anywhere, but once you've leveled up some, your characters grow in leaps and bounds. I'm only two hours in, and I highly recommend it.

Suikoden 5 -- more story than action at the early outset, but once the game gets going, there is a helluva lot to do (I hear there are 120 playable characters)

Front Mission 4 -- all the customization you love from the previous games, but the story is very convoluted (I couldn't follow it after a while)

PS1:

FF7 -- play it again. You've played it already, so you know how great it is

FF8 -- if you didn't get into it, well, that's too bad, but I thought it had the best graphics of all the PS1 ones, and a fast-moving battle system (except for the summons, but they're so pretty, you don't care).

FFTactics -- I second this recommendation. Every character is customizable, no two games of FFTactics are the same. The musical score is simply astounding, and the spritework is very well done for a game of that generation.

Xenogears -- best story ever in an RPG. Talk about epic! Those two discs will be the most engrossing experience you'll ever enjoy.

SaGa Frontier -- Seven stories that can overlap in a fairly massive world. The battle system is a little tricky, but with time, you'll grow to enjoy it. Not much is more thrilling than a character learning a skill on the fly, and using it instantly. Extremely non-linear; to the point where some people didn't like the game.

SaGa Frontier 2 -- A journey along a timeline, jumping from person to person, as you learn about your favorite characters; GREAT character development.

Legend of Mana -- The world is in pieces...you must find them! Rebuild the world as you see fit. Also very non-linear, it's more mission-based.

SNES:

Secret of Mana -- I second this recommendation. good game, fun experience.

Secret of Mana 2 -- more non-linear gameplay, you have your choice of a main character, and two companion characters. Non-linear, but not to the point where you can't follow it.

FF Mystic Quest -- short, quick, easy, but fun to me. I like the soundtrack, too.

It's unfortunate that you never got into FFIV or FFVI since they have such amazing stories, characters and game-play.

If you ever feel like shooting for old-school FFVI is such a great game, especially if your used to that 2d chrono trigger style perspective of rpg's.

meh

so, what do you like?

~

Enjoy a good story? - Xenogears

Like a good western? - Wild ARMs

Want the best of the best? - Suikoden (not 4!)

Fun battles? - Grandia or Tales

Fanboyism? - Final Fantasy

Into some demonic shizznit? - Shin Megami Tensei or Shadow Hearts

Like tactical war games? - Ogre Battle

Handheld goodness? - Fire Emblem

Comedy? - Disgaea or La Pucelle Tactics

Into more of action/adventure rpgs? - Kingdom Hearts or Mana

Time Travel goodness? - Chrono Trigger

~

just to name a few games/series.....

Get Suikoden V. It's superior to every other RPG of this generation.

That depends on how much story you want. I'm enjoying Dragon Quest 8 a lot more because you start the game, quest for 5 minutes, and then start leveling up. 10-20 mins of story, more battling.

Suikoden V has just been yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak. I have run around more damn towns and gone in more circles in boring-ass cities with no money to shop, nor any necessity to do so...I've been in two towns, and maybe 10 battles. That's not a good town-to-battle relationship for me.

Now, I'm not saying Suikoden V is a bad game, not by a long shot. I'm just saying there's a LOT of story there, so you better care about story if you're going to pick it up, or you're going to be BORED.