Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
Cip

I need a new rpg

That depends on how much story you want. I'm enjoying Dragon Quest 8 a lot more because you start the game, quest for 5 minutes, and then start leveling up. 10-20 mins of story, more battling.

Suikoden V has just been yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak. I have run around more damn towns and gone in more circles in boring-ass cities with no money to shop, nor any necessity to do so...I've been in two towns, and maybe 10 battles. That's not a good town-to-battle relationship for me.

Now, I'm not saying Suikoden V is a bad game, not by a long shot. I'm just saying there's a LOT of story there, so you better care about story if you're going to pick it up, or you're going to be BORED.

Yeah, but the story is one of the best ever put into an RPG.

Though I agree with what you're saying, if you don't want a game that is very story heavy (and requires a second playthrough more or less to get close to everything) then don't play Suikoden V. That said, from a standpoint of an RPG critic I'd have to say it is the best RPG to come around in a looong time. Only real flaw for me was the super high encounter rate. I've never been a fan of random battles, especially when they happen every 3 steps. But fortunately the battles are quick and easy.

Yeah, but the story is one of the best ever put into an RPG.

Though I agree with what you're saying, if you don't want a game that is very story heavy (and requires a second playthrough more or less to get close to everything) then don't play Suikoden V. That said, from a standpoint of an RPG critic I'd have to say it is the best RPG to come around in a looong time. Only real flaw for me was the super high encounter rate. I've never been a fan of random battles, especially when they happen every 3 steps. But fortunately the battles are quick and easy.

It's actually one of the more tragic Suikoden stories I've played. The changes in some of the pivotal characters threw me for a loop when it happened when I should've expected it if I really paid close attention.

It's actually one of the more tragic Suikoden stories I've played. The changes in some of the pivotal characters threw me for a loop when it happened when I should've expected it if I really paid close attention.

By the time most changes happened I was expecting them, but that didn't change their effect. They were very emotional events. One of the rare games where I've grown attached to certain characters.

Well, since it hasn't been mentioned, Vagrant Story, ala the best Console game I've ever played. Arguably the hardest learning curve in any RPG, but once you get past it its so damn sweet.

Front Mission 3 is awesome, being that it goes on for a very long time and doesn't get boring. Front Mission 4 sucks because its about 50-100 hours shorter than FM3.

Well, since it hasn't been mentioned, Vagrant Story, ala the best Console game I've ever played. Arguably the hardest learning curve in any RPG, but once you get past it its so damn sweet.

That game is pretty fun. I liked all the different weapon types.

Unfortunately, I never really could figure out how the hell to craft weapons, and apparently that makes the game possible as opposed to just incredibly hard.

It is really fun, though. I wish they would make more games like it, it just works so well.

That game is pretty fun. I liked all the different weapon types.

Unfortunately, I never really could figure out how the hell to craft weapons, and apparently that makes the game possible as opposed to just incredibly hard.

It is really fun, though. I wish they would make more games like it, it just works so well.

Well, its actually not that hard once you do get past the curve, but the last boss (I guess that'd be a spoiler to name him) still took me about 30 tries to beat even though I was past the curve. Risk management is actually useful in this sense :) Crafting weapons is all important depending on what you're facing, elemental affinity is the most important thing to kill bosses, though all the human ones are unanalyzable (that's definitely a word) so you just wanna pull out whatever your best weapon is. Gamefaqs has several good FAQs that relate how to go about doing it, but not really one that teaches you the game, since that's basically where all the enjoyment lies at is a personal experience (and I guess an achievement, God forbid motivation bullshit). I was chaining monsters to death all the way up to the first crab, about 13-15 hours in at which point I realized what all this stuff was for. Blunt weapons are more effective against his claws, piercing is more effective against his mouth sort of thing, as well as fire being his primary weakness. Its amazing how the different portions of the body, while still damaging the whole, have different weaknesses and strengths and that only adds more depth to the combat. The only thing that can make this game more than perfect is a sequel. The deep involved plot from one man's perspective basically parallels the difficulty that the player has picking up the game. A masterpiece, the only real one I've ever played :D

The only thing that can make this game more than perfect is a sequel.

They already made one, and it was less then perfect.

250px-Final_Fantasy_XII_Logo.jpg

Skies of Arcadia I was 20 hours in when I temporarily stopped, I plan on beating it after I run through IX. Skies is totally awesome...

Grandia II is said to be awesome and I have that burned aswell, so if you wanna use your dreamcast those are 2 choices I can help you with.

Skies was ported over to the Gamecube as well, and from what I'm told it's a pretty faithful port, and Grandia 2 is on the PS2, so you don't need to use a Dreamcast.

Skies is incredibly fun. I played through it straight up once, in other words without a walkthrough or strat guide, and then I played it with a walkthrough just so I could get Legend status. Heck, just rushing around trying to make discoveries is fun in itself, but the story is great too.

Now, if you've played Suikoden 1, then dust off your credit card and buy a copy of Suikoden 2. It'll probably set you back around $100, depending on the condition of the game, but it will be worth every penny. By far the greatest game in the series, you have the return of some favorites of mine from Suikoden 1, and possibly the greatest villain in video game history (yes, it beats out your villain hero FF fanboys) in Luca Blight. It also features the inspiration for my tattoo in the Beast Rune:)

Suikoden 5 is also a must play for any Suikoden fan. 3 was alright, 4 was a tragedy, so those two could be skipped without really missing out on a lot, but 5 is a must. It brings back the feel of what made Suikoden a cult favorite, and I fell in love with so many of the characters. At times it's very sad, but provided you get all 108 Stars of Destiny, it has one of the most fulfilling endings to me. And no, to respond to whoever it was who said you can play with 120 characters, you cannot. You can't even really use all 108. Probably only 60-70 of the characters are playable in normal battle, the others are support or major battle only.

If you want to go back to the PS1, then besides some of the others listed, I'd like to add Legend of the Dragoon. It's a very underrated, much maligned RPG that I thought was a lot of fun. A very interesting battle system at the time when most RPGs just had click Fight and let them go, this had it so you had to time out your attacks to get the maximum effect. Made it so you had to keep concentrating on the game.

^

Very nice post with great information, but just so you know...

The only reason I brought the the points about the Dreamcast is me and Cip a few months ago began burning endless Dreamcast games and playing them, whilst realizing how awesome the dreamcast is :P

They already made one, and it was less then perfect.

250px-Final_Fantasy_XII_Logo.jpg

FFXII is more of a "sequel" to FFT (Ivalice) than VS, and besides it would have to be a true sequel involving Ashley Riot wandering around and showing the badassedness of that blood sin, with almost exactly the same gameplay except more weapon types and break arts and everything else. Thanks for the very helpful information though.

PS2:

Dragon Quest 8 -- you have to do a bit of leveling to get anywhere, but once you've leveled up some, your characters grow in leaps and bounds. I'm only two hours in, and I highly recommend it.

As much as that's a solid recommendation, I don't think Cip would get into it much. The main storyline without any sidequests takes at least 60-70 hours to complete, and it's just about impossbile to beat the final boss without some of the best weapons in the game. That's not to say you can't, but it's very hard to unless you power leveled like crazy and take a gamble with the tension system.

FFXII is more of a "sequel" to FFT (Ivalice) than VS, and besides it would have to be a true sequel involving Ashley Riot wandering around and showing the badassedness of that blood sin, with almost exactly the same gameplay except more weapon types and break arts and everything else. Thanks for the very helpful information though.

I ment in terms of a spiritual sequel. I'm only 8 hours or so in FFXII, and being a avid VS player back in the day, it feels very much like VS.

Unfortunately since Sqaure knows it's easier and safer to whore out the FF series, we're probably never going to see a real sequel to any of the older series that needed them.

It feels like VS? That could be great news, but I doubt it'd live up to it (as you said it wasn't perfect :biggrin: ). Well Xenosaga doesn't feel that much like Xenogears and its supposed to be a spiritual sequel so who knows? To buy or not to buy...

As far as DQVIII goes, the musical score is enough to retain anyone's interest, and an impossible final boss is always a golden feature, except when the plot happens to be as good as Xenogears :angry:

Are we only talking JRPGs here? Because KotOR is great and pretty cheap for either the PC or the Xbox. Just make sure you get 1 and not 2.

Some other RPG classics that I don't think others have mentioned and are available for super cheap:

PC:

Planescape: Torment

Fallout 1 & 2

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2

Morrowind

SNES:

Shadowrun

Soul Blazer

Lufia 1 & 2

Dreamcast:

Grandia II

I'm sure I could think of more if I tried, but my brain is failing.

Are we only talking JRPGs here?

How do you define a JRPG? I've seen this acroynm before. I think the "J" stands for "Japanese" and RPG is a given, but what is the difference between a JRPG and an RPG?

How do you define a JRPG? I've seen this acroynm before. I think the "J" stands for "Japanese" and RPG is a given, but what is the difference between a JRPG and an RPG?

It's a term created by two warring camps. One camp are people who think the best rpgs ever made under the sun come out of Japan. While the other camp are old school gamers who like to point out that rpgs first started in the West with games like Ultima and the AD&D Gold Box games.

JRPG's are Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest type games. A set number of predefined party members, menu based battle systems, lots of RPG cliches of the same type (CRPG's, or computer RPG's, never have Crono Syndrome), rigidly defined level up systems, and generally the plot is more important than the gameplay. This is a style of game; there are JRPG's that have come out of America and CPRG's that have come out of Japan; but the basic gameplay is similar in both styles of games. I know people who hate one and love the other, but I myself find them very similar in a lot of ways.

In contrast to JRPG's, a lot of CRPG's let you customize at least your main character a lot more than JRPG's, and usually your whole party (games like Icewind Dale and I believe Baldur's Gate let you build your whole party yourself) or sometimes you won't even have a party (well, you could get a party in Fallout but they were useless). The story is generally not as important and much more of it will be optional (whereas JPRG's are mostly main quests, CRPG's have comparatively short main quests and lots and lots of sude quests.)

Also, most CRPG's are based off of DND directly, or at least more so than JRPG's, and JRPG's are mostly based off of the original Dragon Quest/Warrior game.

P.S. Fallout is like the best game ever. Check it out, no matter who you are. It's easy to pirate and runs on every computer, ever.

Yeah, I'm quite the opposite. In fact on more than on one occasion I have referred to JRPGs as "tactical books."

I love the old Dragon Warrior games. I like a lot of old JRPG's, like Seiken Densetsu and Chrono Trigger. I don't like what the genre has become. I hate non-interactive dialogue sequences (something you never see, ever, in KotOR or Fallout) that last four hours or whatever.

Oh sorry, don't get me wrong. I liked JRPGs right until just after Xenogears. Right after that I think I realized I'd saved the world with a spikey haired 16 year old and his lovable yet goofy cast from some sort of evil force most likely caused by mans own ignorance enough times in my life.

I predict that with the success of the freeform and sandbox-style play of Oblivion we will see more rpgs...both JRPGs and WRPGs...developed with something similar in gameplay.

I'll make it simple:

JRPG = Game focused more on artistic fantasy with more focus on a storyline that anyone can pick up. Most stories will have a lighthearted tone to it, and most never exceed the rating of "T".

RPG = A stat based game where the lore is heavy and getting into the game is a bit daunting. Death, blood and gore are an important part of this type of RPG, and getting a "M" rating would be more than likely.