Anime Review - Hanaukyo Maids: La Verite

Siendra

*This is an old review. Consider it a place holder of sorts to get the area started. I'm working on some bigger stuff right now. Later reviews will include screen caps aswell - I don't have the Maids DVD's right now.

Hanaukyo Maids: La Verite

Genre: Comedy/Drama

Director: Nonaka Takuya

Episodes/Running Length : 12/276m

Release: 2004

Like many other anime series, both Hanaukyo Maids productions started as a Manga written by Morishige. Although there is only the one Manga, two seperate series were Produced. The fanservice filled, but plot lacking Hanaukyo Maids: Tai, and Hanukyo Maids: La Verite. This review is of the later of the two.

Story:

Hanaukyo Maids starts off with a rather uninspired little story. Taro Hanaukyo has recently lost his mother, and is now alone in the world. He has been invited to live with his Grandfather in his mansion. The series opens with Taro at his mothers grave explaining this, and then turning to leave. At this point, he bumps into Mariel, the head of his grandfathers "Hanaukyo maids."

Though the first half of the series follows a fairly episodic pace, and and is more focused on establishing setting then anything, the second half is all story. And a fairly good one too boot. Conspiracy, action, and romance rolled into a nice little bundle, which is suprising given the supposed comedy nature of the show.

Pacing:

Hanaukyo Maids could have been layed out in a much neater fashion (mostly by condesing the first six episodes down and expanding on the final six), but it still lends itself well to both its genre and theme. It's unfortunate that the second half moves so quickly, but it's still a fun watch.

Characters:

Taro Hanaukyo: The young, innocent, and unavoidably geeky hier to the Hanaukyo Corporation.

Mariel.jpg

Mariel: The endeering, sweet head of the Hanaukyo maids, and Taro's personal maid. She is also Taro's romantic interest.

konoe0401.jpg

Konoe Tsurugi: The head on Hanaukyo's security services; charged with protecting Taro at all costs. She's also an akward softy underneath it all.

Lemon/Melon/Marron: Three of Hanaukyo's physical care givers. They constantly attempt to force romantic situations between themselves and Taro. Melon even calls Taro's first time having sex as her property. A very enjoyable trio.

Animation:

Extremely crisp and clean. Everything is well detailed, the character animations flow well, the backgrounds are colourful and well rounded, and everything has its own distinct look, style, and feel. Which is surprising, given that Tai (The earlier of the two series) had horrendous animation.

Conclusion:

I actually enjoyed this series a good deal. The plot had enough direction to keep me into it, and it was pretty darn funny. I also enjoyed how quickly they built on Taro and Mariels relationship (Yes, I'm looking at you AA! Megami Sama.).

-----------------------------

Score Card:

Story: 8.5/10

Pacing: 8.5/10

Characters: 9/10

Animation: 9/10

Overall(Not an Average): 9/10

Verdict: Watch it if you need a light comedy, or an interesting drama.