Accelerated Evolution

Killzone!?!

Depression

While I'm not necessarily defending Halo (I enjoy playing #1 against my friends, but don't think it's all that great) I still have no idea how anybody could say it's a Half Life ripoff. How are they at all alike?

They're FPS games with confusing, at times poorly constructed plots!

Killzone was a good game, definetly better then Halo 2. Although that wasnt really saying much.

Man, you and the cheese stand alone on that one. While Halo 2 may not have been the best plotwise, comparing the gameplay and AI of the two is like night and day. I mean there's a reason Killzone gets 6s and Halo gets 9s...

Yes, in Killzone you walked between little mini-areas where there were a few waves of enemies to fight; and you got rid of them using a combination of weapons that you were limited in and had to think tactically about.

Halo 2 was just like that except every few levels you could turn invisible for no good reason.

The first one was decent for a console FPS, although as sad as it is to say, for multiplayer I'd rather play...Halo...over it. Singleplayer was near impossible, and I stop playing after the third level and returned the rental. The controls didn't seem very good, and I may have liked it more if more FPS's for PS2 allowed use of a keyboard and mouse like that Half-Life remake did.

Single player wasn't that hard was it? Even on hard its pretty breezy, but its a game where you can't really be Rambo and you have to walk in slowly and snipe off whoever you can before you charge up the stairs. Its hard as hell to tell what level you're on though :blink: Even the last level isn't that hard, though its a bit of a challenge compared to the rest (accredit to lack of game balance in all FPSs), certainly its no UT Godlike.

As far as Killzone being better than Halo 2, it is. I had more fun with Killzone simply because Halo 2 wasn't more inventive in plot structure or anything special and the lack of vehicles in Killzone is overcome by its superiority in weapon balance. Admittedly the last part in Halo 2 on legendary was more fun then Killzone on Hard, but not by that much. Its also dull as hell in multiplayer (but so is Killzone). The reason Halo 2 gets "9's" and Killzone gets "6's" (more like 8's as far as I can tell), is because the entire Halo series has been and always will be overrated. X Box is so desperate for good games that it overrates almost every moderately good one, and calls the good ones legendary pieces of work (which they aren't).

I was watching Judgement day on G4 (before it was taken off the air) and they have a section called "versus" where they compare two games (usually of the same genre) point-to-point. They had Halo 2 versus Halflife 2, and Halflife 2 won by half a point (10 vs. 9.5). And quite frankly, I was astonished.

Before I go on, I should say I've never played Halflife or HL2 (HL 2 because I don't have the comp for it, and HL1 because I heard the PS2 version sucked, and I'm not much of a console FPS'er). I played Halo on the Xbox, and had fun. The multiplayer was a blast, and the single player was pretty fun. I played a level or two of Halo 2, and I was surprised how, in the cutscenes, objects were still being loaded up.

That being said, Halo in general has nothing on Halflife. I watched my roommate play Halflife 2 on his 'puter, and I was slackjawed. The visuals, the weapons, the audio, it was all supreme. Halo 2, on the other hand, was pretty mediocre. Halo and Halo 2 are both fun, Halo 1 in particular. In terms of artistic and gameplay mastery, Halflife 2 has them beat hands down.

I haven't gotten my hands on Killzone, but it didn't really strike my interest, either. I don't really play FPS's on my PS2 anymore, even though I own Timesplitters 1 & 2. I tried serious sam and XIII and nothing has really kept my attention like TS 1&2 did. I still have project snowblind, I might give that a second try.

Heh, sorry, I rambled off-topic. Killzone just doesn't look interesting. All I've seen of the game is the same ol' bland post-apocalyptic landscape over and over. I like a game to have a bit more color (like timesplitters or XIII).

I was watching Judgement day on G4 (before it was taken off the air) and they have a section called "versus" where they compare two games (usually of the same genre) point-to-point. They had Halo 2 versus Halflife 2, and Halflife 2 won by half a point (10 vs. 9.5). And quite frankly, I was astonished.

Before I go on, I should say I've never played Halflife or HL2 (HL 2 because I don't have the comp for it, and HL1 because I heard the PS2 version sucked, and I'm not much of a console FPS'er). I played Halo on the Xbox, and had fun. The multiplayer was a blast, and the single player was pretty fun. I played a level or two of Halo 2, and I was surprised how, in the cutscenes, objects were still being loaded up.

That being said, Halo in general has nothing on Halflife. I watched my roommate play Halflife 2 on his 'puter, and I was slackjawed. The visuals, the weapons, the audio, it was all supreme. Halo 2, on the other hand, was pretty mediocre. Halo and Halo 2 are both fun, Halo 1 in particular. In terms of artistic and gameplay mastery, Halflife 2 has them beat hands down.

I haven't gotten my hands on Killzone, but it didn't really strike my interest, either. I don't really play FPS's on my PS2 anymore, even though I own Timesplitters 1 & 2. I tried serious sam and XIII and nothing has really kept my attention like TS 1&2 did. I still have project snowblind, I might give that a second try.

Heh, sorry, I rambled off-topic. Killzone just doesn't look interesting. All I've seen of the game is the same ol' bland post-apocalyptic landscape over and over. I like a game to have a bit more color (like timesplitters or XIII).

IMO Timesplitter's single player is boring as hell, just a crack brained sort of storyline that goes on forever. It's multiplayer is similar enough to Goldeneye to be Nostalgic fun, but that's about it. Killzone's storyline, while no great masterpiece, is better than Timesplitters. Halo > Killzone > Halo 2 as far as "next gen" console FPS's go (barring Metroid Prime). To respect the game you really have to get into moving around and surprising enemies with fire in the side, single player bot matches kick ass for that reason (though not if you just camp a sniper rifle). Multiplayer isn't that bad, but it isn't that good either, I suppose because I never had consistent net access with my PS2 that sort of killed it.

Er I should've said I NEVER play console FPS's, so I was probably terrible for other reasons

Eh, its somewhat different, but although the PC's FPS format is always going to be superior to the consoles its still fun playing around with console FPS's anyway. It feels more like you're in the game in the console IMO, though you can't control quite so easily. Of course I suck at both because I don't play the game all day and all night (that's RPGs for me), but I can still speak about it somewhat intelligently.