Accelerated Evolution

WARHAMMER

14 day trials typically don't come up until games are late in their first year / second.

And Warhammer Online looks sweet. I love the fact that you can equip the heads of players you have killed onto your armor to embellish it. If they make the forces of chaos look right I'll be buying this game in a second.

I play DAoC, and Mythic has an excellent PvP system, and if they transfer it to WAR then you can bet it could be THE BEST PvP on the market. WAR will also be brand new so it opens new possibilities and will allow Mythic to fix problems that are found in DAoC, without having to worry about drastically screwing with an already made game.

I hear they might be doing a DAoC/WAR packet deal, I hope it'll draw more people to DAoC too. WAR's graphics are very similar to WoW's (Blizzard ripped off of the Warhammer table top game) so it might draw WoW players.

It's slated for 2007. I can't wait. D: That Dwarf is so hardcore.

I hear they might be doing a DAoC/WAR packet deal, I hope it'll draw more people to DAoC too. WAR's graphics are very similar to WoW's (Blizzard ripped off of the Warhammer table top game) so it might draw WoW players.

Just like Blizzard ripped Starcraft off of Warhammer: 40k...

Wow, seems people here know about Warhammer and Warhammer 40K. Glad to see it so!

I hope they keep the dark, dirty and gothic look of Warhammer Fantasy for WAR. If the gameplay is even remotely fun I may finally take-up one of these MMORPGs. All about Chaos baby! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

All the screenshots I've seen have been of Dwarves and Orcs fighting/standing around and looking cool near nice scenery. The graphics have the cartoonish feel, of course. But it looks tight.

DAoC has 44 classes and 18 races over 3 realms, amazing PvP (RvR, realm vs realm), and fairly cool PvE as well. They screwed up PvE with the Trials of Atlantis expansion where they made PvE a time sink to be able to compete in RvR (like WoW with the 40 man raids only a little worse) but now they have fixed that up somewhat.

Hopefully they will address some of DAoC's problems with WAR and be innovative, while using the stuff that makes DAoC good. I bet it'll take the cake for best PvP. I've heard that you can take over entire zones.

I'm really hoping the hordes of chaos will eventually be able to choose their allegience. Because while I don't mind they're starting off with Tzeentch, I'd much rather have a Slaanesh worshipper.

At least they didn't choose Nurgle or Khorne. That would really have pissed me off.

Anyways, I found a gameplay earlier on another forum. I'll post it here once said forum comes back online. (Supposed to be some time today.)

I'm really hoping the hordes of chaos will eventually be able to choose their allegience. Because while I don't mind they're starting off with Tzeentch, I'd much rather have a Slaanesh worshipper.

At least they didn't choose Nurgle or Khorne. That would really have pissed me off.

Anyways, I found a gameplay earlier on another forum. I'll post it here once said forum comes back online. (Supposed to be some time today.)

I think for beginners a Khorne-worshipper would be easier to get into since it'll primarily be warrior-based in terms of job class. No need to learn high-faluting magic to learn how to play with such a character.

Oh man.

I should get into Warhammer. I tried playing 40K awhile back but I didn't like it so much (I love the fluff and the models, but I don't like the gameplay, and I've heard Warhammer is a little better).

Really quickly, here's the plug for WARMACHINE that, as a WARMACHINE fanboy, I am required to put near any mention of Warhammer.

*After watching video.* That looks pretty sweet; of course, it tells me nothing about the gameplay, but still. I'm fully in favor of a Warhammer MMO. As long as they have Lizardmen as a playable race. As long as they have Lizardmen.

I'd be interested in knowing how they'll implement the Druchii (Dark Elf) race as a playable one since the female classes have a tendency to wear as little as possible, or at the very least very revealing attire and armor.

I believe they've mentioned they'd like to add the Lizardmen in a future expansion. However the main release will be concentrating on orcs/goblins, dwarves, chaos, empire, high elves and dark elves. However I'd really like to see them throw in some of the more unique races of the warhammer universe. (Not that the orcs being a humanoid fungus isn't unique)

I'd really like to see the Skaven, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Lizardmen, Ogres and even the Bretonnians playable eventually.

I believe they've mentioned they'd like to add the Lizardmen in a future expansion. However the main release will be concentrating on orcs/goblins, dwarves, chaos, empire, high elves and dark elves. However I'd really like to see them throw in some of the more unique races of the warhammer universe. (Not that the orcs being a humanoid fungus isn't unique)

I'd really like to see the Skaven, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Lizardmen, Ogres and even the Bretonnians playable eventually.

I think if the game gains a big enough subscription base and following then future expansions and updates will probably include new races. Really, the one race I would like them to add as a playable would be the Ogres. Not early edition Warhammer Fantasy Ogres, but the walking jaws with a stomach Ogres from the Ogre Kingdom Army Book. These guys are hardcore.

1.jpg

I'd be interested in knowing how they'll implement the Druchii (Dark Elf) race as a playable one since the female classes have a tendency to wear as little as possible, or at the very least very revealing attire and armor.

Did you see the elf chick in the video FC originally posted? I don't know how you can get more revealing attire than she was wearing.

Yeah Tull, the ogres have become substantially more badass in the more recent additions. I've always loved how their armors seem like a mishmashed collaboration of all the different medieval armor types. There's some turkish, chineese, european... A little of everything in there. Especially chinese, with those fumanchu mustaches and all.

But really I just wanna play as a Slaanesh devotee. I always loved the idea of a badguy you can't stop with pain... cuz he likes it. And he's willing to share.

Also I'm really intrigued to see how the "looks changing as you level" thing will apply to the hordes of chaos. I mean it's pretty clear that the orcs get buffer and tougher looking, and the dwarves get bigger with longer beards. But I wonder if the chaos warriors are going to begin to become demonic looking, or maybe decay.

Also I'm really intrigued to see how the "looks changing as you level" thing will apply to the hordes of chaos. I mean it's pretty clear that the orcs get buffer and tougher looking, and the dwarves get bigger with longer beards. But I wonder if the chaos warriors are going to begin to become demonic looking, or maybe decay.

One thing they could do to make it stand-out from other MMORPG's is to actually make chaos players suddenly turn into Chaos Spawn if whatever daemonic gifts they get from their patron chaos god becoems too much for the player's character to physically take. I'm sure there'll be away to reverse the process, but being able to play as a Chaos Spawn even for a short time would be an interesting twist people who like to power-level.

Did you see the elf chick in the video FC originally posted? I don't know how you can get more revealing attire than she was wearing.

Well, they got that part right with the Druchii witch elf. Needs more "one boob hanging out" design since some of the witch elves are drawn as having spilled out of what top they even deem to wear. I like how the promo trailer concentrated on the two biggest grudge matches in Warhammer Fantasy World: Dwarf vs Orcs and High Elf vs Dark Elf.

Well, one thing that could help raise awareness for the game is if Mythic actually bites the bullet, so to speak, and releases the game crossplatform onto the 360 in addition to the PC. Mythic was running an early build of the game during E3 on a 360 to show that the game can be ported from PC to console easily. With Microsoft's XNA supposed to make developing for PC to console and vice versa very easy and simple. I can't imagine Mythic not wanting to get as large a userbase as possible from the get-go.

I saw a lot of DAOC ads back in the day. And quite a few when trials of atlantis came out.

But yeah a strong advertising presence will definately help. I'm just hoping people can make the jump from Warcraft, since that's what practically everyone is playing...

I dunno, I'm just super psyched they're focusing on bringing the pvp back. I'm sick of warcrafts psuedo pvp games of capture the flag and king of the hill.

I saw a lot of DAOC ads back in the day. And quite a few when trials of atlantis came out.

But yeah a strong advertising presence will definately help. I'm just hoping people can make the jump from Warcraft, since that's what practically everyone is playing...

I dunno, I'm just super psyched they're focusing on bringing the pvp back. I'm sick of warcrafts psuedo pvp games of capture the flag and king of the hill.

Well, it looks like Mythic is throwing everything but the kitchen sink in terns of PvP, PvE, etc... This is a good thing since it'll give players a nice selection. I'm sure there'll be some sort of limit to how players can go fighting other players, but it would be very good if they can incorporate some sort of gameplay where PT's can actually go out and hunt other rival PT's. Even if it means uneven fights 6 vs 3 or even 6 vs 1. :biggrin:

I hate WoW. :\

At the moment in DAoC, unless you are on Mordred (PvP server, people of different realms can work together but it's basically a free for all. You can't kill people in your guild or in towns, but other than that you can kill when you want), there are Battlegrounds and New Frontiers.

Battle grounds are split into 4 level brackets. 1-4, 5-9, 10-14, etc, capping at the 40-44 BG. You zone into a BG and end up in your portal keep, from there you can leave and go wherever you want in the zone. There is a keep, maybe some towers, in the middle of the battleground and to capture it you need to break in and kill the enemy NPC keep leader. Once per level you get exp for helping capture a keep.

New Frontiers is a series of zones, a bunch of zones for each realm that are all connected, that are open PvP between realms. There are many keeps and towers all over, as well as boats. It is wise not to go in here until at least your late 40s. It's only sensible to PvP there, solo or group, when you're 50.

You also get exp for killing enemy players.

Once you hit level 15 you start getting realm points for kills. Your number of realm points gets you increased ranking and RA (realm ability) points. RA points can be used to buy RAs. RAs range from passive things like Mastery of Pain (improves crit chance) to Ichor of the Deep, which is an uninteruptable spell that deals damage and roots in an AoE. From Rank 2 to Rank 13 you get an effective increase to all your skills equal to your rank minus 1. Basically this means that if you had 40 ranks in Sword spec and were Rank 2 your effective Sword skill would be 41. (Bonuses from items and rank don't actually give you new abilities like spec does, they just increase damage and reduce resists and variance).

Basically, it is a pretty nice system, and hopefully they will take all the good things about that and tweak it/add more to make WAR's PvP rawksome.

World of Warcraft would be so god damn cool if it actually had PvP. I'm imagining some sort of system wherein Horde players could actually take over, say, Ironforge, and any Alliance players who logged in unexpecting would just get killed immediately. Of course, it would work in reverse, so you'd have crazy revenge schemes and desperate counterattacks and such (all the Horde players are in Ironforge? Attack Orgrimmar!). Pretty much the only place that would be spared would be noob areas.

I'm imagining fluctuating prices in vendors based on how the war is going. And there should be a war, this is Warcraft, not semi-untrustworthy-psuedo-alliance-against-demonsraft.

WoW has terrible PvP. But there are good parts of the game. I just wish there was actually PvP.

EDIT: I might start thinking about getting a Warhammer MMO after they release Lizardmen. And not a moment before. Yeesh, I need to read up on my WFB fluff; I'm really only familiar with Lizardmen from a few editions back and 40K.