Magic: The Gathering

Wind

Alright, well I used to play MTG back during Mirage/Tempest block, then started again during Masques, Invasion, and Oddyssey blocks. Anyway that was many years ago so lets take a look at present day.

-WOOOSH-

I was at work, folding clothes when I noticed a black shirt with a gray skull in a grayish circle. it looked familiar so I further inspected it to see a "magic the gathering" tag at the top. I flipped that my lame ass store would have a shirt so cool, so I went up to Knightshadow (I work with him) to show him and he was like "Yeah isnt it awesome I saw it earlier". He then began to mention how he started playing the new set block with his friends everyweek called "Ravnica". he continued to explain that the new set block is based off of 10 guilds, each guild containing 2 different color deck themes, so you pretty much decide you wanna play 2 colors like... Black and White, or in my case Red and Green and that combination will correspond with a guild (filled with information, backround, different play-styles etc).

So, he then mentioned a locally famous cardstore 'Baron's' had moved across the street a little while ago and I did not know, so on my break I walked over and bought the pre-made red and green "Gruul Wilding" deck and 4 boosters, 2 from 'Guildpact' 1 from 'Ravnica - city of guilds' and one from 'dissention'. These are the 3 expansions from the ravnica block (the 3 sets currently legal and used for tournement play).

So I have not gotten to play a game yet in years but I'm excited with re-taking up the hobby since the game seems fresh again, I may start going to the weekly local tournements like I did 6 years ago, but I will def. be playing with Knight Shadow and his friends and wasting my next few checks on them for a little while.

Anyway, does anyone play the new sets or have any interest in MTG?

This is kind of eerie, I JUST got back into Magic: The Gathering with the Ravnica block myself after being on hiatus since Mercadian Masques. I split a booster box of Ravnica and Guildpact with a couple of my friends (which resulted in 24 boosters for each of us) and I've bought quite a few of the preconstructed decks. I was really looking forward to the Azorius guild in Dissension, but overall I'm pretty disappointed in it. It didn't really add anything that blue/white didn't already have. I built a Rakdos deck which seems like it should be really fun to play, but I don't really see Rakdos having any real tournament playability due to the completely reckless nature of the cards, but I don't plan on playing in any real tournaments, so that's okay.

All in all, I've been pretty impressed by this new block. I really liked how they gave all the color combinations viable play tactics, and the flavor of this block is really interesting. The Kamigawa block looks really cool too (and is still legal in Standard tournaments), but I don't really have the money to start buying more cards, especially more expensive ones.

I started playing M:TG way back in Ice Age (1996) and played pretty regularly up until the end of the Invasion Block (2002). After that I began to lose interest as the game drastically changed. The cards got more and more powerful with each set so that if you didn't have boat-loads of cash to shell out each time a new expansion came out, you couldn't hope to stay competitive in the slightest. From '02-'04 I only played in Booster Drafts, usually giving my cards away after the tournament was over. However, just as Arcane has picked the game back up, so have I. I guess I've gotten over the way they totally killed the storyline after Apocalypse, and now have some extra cash to shell out on cards. Plus, I'm hella excited about the next expansion coming out in July, "Coldsnap", which is suppose to round off the Ice Age Block that I loved so much way back in the day.

I started playing M:TG way back in Ice Age (1996) and played pretty regularly up until the end of the Invasion Block (2002). After that I began to lose interest as the game drastically changed. The cards got more and more powerful with each set so that if you didn't have boat-loads of cash to shell out each time a new expansion came out, you couldn't hope to stay competitive in the slightest. From '02-'04 I only played in Booster Drafts, usually giving my cards away after the tournament was over. However, just as Arcane has picked the game back up, so have I. I guess I've gotten over the way they totally killed the storyline after Apocalypse, and now have some extra cash to shell out on cards. Plus, I'm hella excited about the next expansion coming out in July, "Coldsnap", which is suppose to round off the Ice Age Block that I loved so much way back in the day.

Some of the cards do seem more powerful than the older cards, but a lot of the older cards that everyone used to take for granted are no longer printed. No more do we have plain old Counterspells, Disenchants, Dark Ritual, and a bunch of other cards that were common back in the day but would now completely own in tournament play compared to the current cards that are played. The last block that was released (Kamigawa) also had a ton of powerful stuff in it, but that was because its theme was Legendary cards, so probably about 50% of the set was Legendary creatures, lands, enchantments, and artifacts.

I need to locate my old deck.

It was a black mercenary deck featuring many disenchants and whatnot, it had 4 dark rituals, 4 plague winds (1 foil), a cateran overlord and tons of black mercenary creatures for quick endless onslaught.

At my LGS the miniatures gamers are hella elitist towards the CCG gamers.

I'm a miniature gamer... I've never been a fan of CCG's but I respect them as an important part of the gamer diaspora.

In my personal experience however, Miniature gamers have, on average, seemed to be way nerdier than the average CCG gamer. And the nerdier/geekier you are, the more elitist you naturally tend to be.

i may pick up a starter deck or something soon as i get some cash

Theme decks cost 10.99, they'll not special but they are designed to be a good deck for starters to use, I picked up the Red/Green combination theme deck 'Gruul Wilding'. I also picked up 4 boosters, this week I'm going to buy a few more boosters and try to build a greater Red/Green deck improving on the Gruul wilding concept.

I'd really like to try out the Magic Online they came out with awhile ago, but since buying virtual cards is just as expensive as buying real cards, I can't bring myself to do it. It would be really nice to be able to play anytime you want though.

You can download the client for free and use the free trial (no limit on amount of days) you just need to use a randomized guest name and number and it lets you play vs other people using 1 of 5 theme decks.