NBC's Heroes

Source

NBC on Monday announced Heroes, a new, one-hour series that will air Mondays at 9 p.m. beginning this fall.

Here's how the network describes the show:

The epic drama Heroes chronicles the lives of ordinary people who discover they possess extraordinary abilities. As a total eclipse casts it shadow across the globe, viewers follow a genetics professor (Sendhil Ramamurthy) in India whose father's disappearance leads him to uncover a secret theory -- there are people with super powers living among us.

"A young dreamer (Milo Ventimiglia) tries to convince his politician brother (Adrian Pasdar) that he can fly. A high school cheerleader (Hayden Panettiere) learns that she is totally indestructible. A Las Vegas stripper (Ali Larter), struggling to make ends meet to support her young son (Noah Gray-Cabey), uncovers that her mirror image has a secret. A prison inmate (Leonard Roberts) mysteriously finds himself waking up outside of his cell. A gifted artist (Santiago Cabrera), whose drug addiction is destroying his life and the relationship with his girlfriend (Tawny Cypress), can paint the future. A down-on-his-luck beat cop (Greg Grunberg) can hear people's thoughts, including the secrets of a captured terrorist. In Japan, a young man (Masi Oka) develops a way to stop time through sheer will power.

"Their ultimate destiny is nothing less than saving the world."

Heroes is executive produced by creator/writer Tim Kring, Dennis Hammer and David Semel, who also directed the pilot.

It's caught my interest and it sounds like it has a lot of potential even if it does sound a little like Unbreakable.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alien Invasion type show where instead of actually showing up, the aliens sent a probe which used a specfic sound frequency to rewrite the dna of earths biological lifeforms in order to begin terraforming the planet for their use.

So a highlevel government agency is formed called Threshold to conceal and combat the threat, and to stop the spreading of the signal or any other form of conversion at any cost.

It even had Brent Spiner in the cast. (go go Data!) But yeah they had some cool concepts. Like those who were affected by the signal were compelled to spread the infection, but they gained no additional knowledge on how. So the guy who was an expert gardener began cross pollenating earth vegetables with his own alien dna / human blood mix, and ended up growing sick undead lettuces with teeth and eyeballs.

That show was hardcore.

Hmmm... the only female superheros are a cheerleader and a stripper.

That doesn't seem sexist at all.

I fail to see how they are implying that the professions are detrimental in any way to someones image.

Who the hell wants to see, "The smart businesswoman", or "The calm, knitting-obsessed housewife" on a show with promise? These are supposed to be real-life reflections of peoples situations, and I guess maybe you don't realize that it isn't sexist to cast women into these roles because men in those roles wouldn't even be close to plausible, thus making the show impossible to relate to.

I want to see the strong business woman.

He wasn't suggesting that men be casted as cheerleaders or strippers (though it's not like there would be anything wrong with that), just that the only two women on the show are cast as characters who have careers/hobbies so objectified (obviously meant to be pleasing to the male audience) instead of something typically seen as strong/intelligent/powerful. Yea, yea, they get superpowers(!), but they're still in roles that make them out to be sex objects first and foremost.

I want to see the strong business woman.

He wasn't suggesting that men be casted as cheerleaders or strippers (though it's not like there would be anything wrong with that), just that the only two women on the show are cast as characters who have careers/hobbies so objectified (obviously meant to be pleasing to the male audience) instead of something typically seen as strong/intelligent/powerful. Yea, yea, they get superpowers(!), but they're still in roles that make them out to be sex objects first and foremost.

Because you can't have a strong/intelligent/powerful stripper? That's really bullshit. You're assuming that just because these people have jobs that are indicative of their gender, that they're downtrodden and unimpowered, when those ideas can only be attributed to their personalities... not what fucking profession they have.

Because you can't have a strong/intelligent/powerful stripper? That's really bullshit. You're assuming that just because these people have jobs that are indicative of their gender, that they're downtrodden and unimpowered, when those ideas can only be attributed to their personalities... not what fucking profession they have.

Uhhh I never said anything like that. Well, neither of us have seen the show but I don't really think I am wrong in assuming the two female characters will be sexually objectified (happens in like..every show.)

Ahh what a great society we live in where instead of providing shows with quality writing/acting/whatever producers can just objectify women and people are totally fine with this.

Yes, well let us instead go back to the days of Rome where people slaughtered each other for entertainment. Humanity has degraded so horribly.

Yes, well let us instead go back to the days of Rome where people slaughtered each other for entertainment. Humanity has degraded so horribly.

Yes, well just because things aren't as bad as they used to be does not mean there is no room for improvement.