Should I get WoW over the summer?

Yep. Just like the thread title says, should I get WoW? Probably you guys are going to be biased, but here's my situation.

I have a bunch of friends (>5)who play it, but I don't want to play it myself more than an hour or so a day (with the occasional WTF ten hour day or whatever). Is it at all fun if you don't play it this much?

Also, is the community really as bad as most people say it is? I suppose if I party up with my friends I won't really have to deal with anyone else, but still.

So, pros and cons and such?

EDIT: Also, are RP servers at all worth it? Does anyone actually RP?

I was on an RP-PvP server and I found most RPing occurs in the newbie zones. At level 60 hardly anyone RPs anymore.

And my honest opinion as of right now, I wouldn't recommend it. The current game is set up so that once you hit level 60 you have nothing left to do but grind faction, join up with raiders, or suffer through the crappy games of capture the flag and king of the hill that blizzard calls pvp. Other than that you're pretty much out of options other than re-rolling and starting it all over again.

However Blizzard has mentioned that they too are unhappy with the level 60 gameplay and that they aim to change it with the release of the expansion.

So technically you could start playing this summer, get a good char up to 60 and then the expansion might release a month or two after and you could get lucky and the endgame might be worth a damn. However blizzard might end up dissapointing...

Really it's a toss up. And you might enjoy raiding. I just like games where there's more to do then backstab, backstab, backstab, eviscerate for 3 hours.

Pros: 1-60 is fun and engaging. Like crack.

Cons: Level 60 is nothing but raiding, pvp, or grinding. And / or jumping in circles around the bank in orgimmar while waiting for your guild to decide what the hell they're going to do.

Pretty much what everybody already said is true.

The game takes awhile to get to the higher levels, where the fun actually begins. It's not quite oriented for low level character play, as there are few instances you can run, even less BG's (and nobody joins Arathi Basin until they have thier mount, anyways), and all the quests are "go here get this come back lather rinse repeat" for the most part.

Anywho, i'd say give it a try, but don't buy it until you form your own opinion on the gameplay and storyline, and if you like it or not. After all, it's your money.

And for a game you'll only play an hour a day or so, you won't get very far at that rate (It takes me about 6~7 hours to level and i am a level 32 fury warrior).

ladeedaaaaa

I have a friend who's been playing the game for almost a year now, very regularly, with a couple of breaks because he couldn't get a game card real fast. He's only around level 50 and he seems to have been having fun the whole time.

Not to mention that, since a lot of the time you say is spent waiting for other players, well, I have several friends who play it and we wouldn't really have to worry about that so much.

I mean, I have a bunch of close friends who seem to really, really enjoy the game, so I figure I might as well give it a chance. I've played it at friend's houses and I didn't find the gameplay completely repulsive as with almost every MMO I've ever played.

I don't care too much about the 60 thing as I doubt I'll ever get that high and if I do I'll just start a new character.

If you only plan on playing an hour a day, I really wouldn't recommend it. But you'll most likely break that whole one hour a day thing pretty quickly, as it is a horribly addictive game until you get to level 60. I absolutely loved the game when it first came out and everyone was new to it. Everything seemed magical and just really awesome. Playing my first character to level 60 with a small, close-knit guild was one of the best times I had playing a videogame. Then level 60 hit, and I got absolutely bored of grinding the same instances over and over (this was before the PvP honor system and Battlegrounds, and before high-end raiding had really begun). So eventually I quit.

I've tried playing the game several times since then, but I just hate what the game has become now. Playing the game no longer has that awe-inspiring feel to it, which I mainly blame on the player community. Almost everyone just cares about leveling to 60 as fast as possible now instead of just enjoying playing through the game. Playing low-level characters is just annoying as hell now as everyone is constantly going on about how awesome their eight level 60 characters are. At this point, people play the game so they can get to level 60 as fast as possible to do high-end raiding (which is boring as hell) so they can get new equipment to either do higher-end raiding with or to beat on each other in Battlegrounds which get pretty lame after awhile.

There. I haven't had a WoW rant in awhile, so that felt pretty good. So anyways, if you've got some good friends that will actually play through the game with you and not abandon you in order to play their higher level characters (Countless times have my friends decided to reroll and play through with new characters only to abandon them shortly after to play with their higher level characters) then you'll probably have a pretty good time.

So anyways, if you've got some good friends that will actually play through the game with you and not abandon you in order to play their higher level characters then you'll probably have a pretty good time.

That's sort of what I'm worried about. I know a couple of my friends would be willing to do that, and another guy said he'll start a new character when he hits sixty anyway, so I think I could get some people to play with me, but I'm just not sure...

I believe like most Blizzard discs it works on both platforms. If it doesn't it's still worth the shot.

Yeah, I'm not sure as obviously WoW is a bigger game than WCII, but I had a copy of WCII back in the day that would work on both platforms.

I'm likely not going to get the game until after I graduate (no homework HOOO) in any case, though, so I'll have time to research it.

I have a friend who's been playing the game for almost a year now, very regularly, with a couple of breaks because he couldn't get a game card real fast. He's only around level 50 and he seems to have been having fun the whole time.

Not to mention that, since a lot of the time you say is spent waiting for other players, well, I have several friends who play it and we wouldn't really have to worry about that so much.

I mean, I have a bunch of close friends who seem to really, really enjoy the game, so I figure I might as well give it a chance. I've played it at friend's houses and I didn't find the gameplay completely repulsive as with almost every MMO I've ever played.

I don't care too much about the 60 thing as I doubt I'll ever get that high and if I do I'll just start a new character.

Believe it or not, after all the patches (there's like fucktons of them), Blizzard actually kind of geared the game towards high level gameplay. And after you hit 60, it's not like all the fun dies, there are still battlegrounds, and of course item sets (There are different item sets and levels for different classes, like i know warriors have the might and valor sets, paladins have the lightforge and the soulforge sets, etc) and you get a "mount" (basically some special animal to ride, if you're an elf it's a cat, dwarves get rams, gnomes get "Mechanostriders" (basically walking mechanical ostriches), and humans get horses.

If you only plan on playing an hour a day, I really wouldn't recommend it. But you'll most likely break that whole one hour a day thing pretty quickly, as it is a horribly addictive game until you get to level 60. I absolutely loved the game when it first came out and everyone was new to it. Everything seemed magical and just really awesome. Playing my first character to level 60 with a small, close-knit guild was one of the best times I had playing a videogame. Then level 60 hit, and I got absolutely bored of grinding the same instances over and over (this was before the PvP honor system and Battlegrounds, and before high-end raiding had really begun). So eventually I quit.

I've tried playing the game several times since then, but I just hate what the game has become now. Playing the game no longer has that awe-inspiring feel to it, which I mainly blame on the player community. Almost everyone just cares about leveling to 60 as fast as possible now instead of just enjoying playing through the game. Playing low-level characters is just annoying as hell now as everyone is constantly going on about how awesome their eight level 60 characters are. At this point, people play the game so they can get to level 60 as fast as possible to do high-end raiding (which is boring as hell) so they can get new equipment to either do higher-end raiding with or to beat on each other in Battlegrounds which get pretty lame after awhile.

There. I haven't had a WoW rant in awhile, so that felt pretty good. So anyways, if you've got some good friends that will actually play through the game with you and not abandon you in order to play their higher level characters (Countless times have my friends decided to reroll and play through with new characters only to abandon them shortly after to play with their higher level characters) then you'll probably have a pretty good time.

I geuss i am lucky then. I am in a guild called Seeker Elite Guard, and it's ran by my stepdad. There are two kinds of people in SEG. There are the closer-knit group, which consists of;

Me (Digiburn)

Namaka

Skgrimald (guild leader, stepdad, whatev)

Arzenikrage (Namaka's little brother)

Kisper (Namaka's little sister)

Foxymamma

Lucira

Mephesto (The husband of Lucira)

Bloodcaster

Blackdot (we call him BDot)

and a few non-guildies;

Zyre

Nubruteforce

Then there are the people who play not quite so often and kind of distnace themselves from the group of people listed above.

And even though the guild kind of pushes me to level faster (So that i can start doing high-level and end-game instances and raids with them), they still encourage me to just chill and enjoy the game, and take in the enviroment, etc. That's part of why i am only a level 32 after like 7 months of owning the game. They also help me along with items/gold/advice, etc. Like i got some random blue drops in Refuge Pointe that are pretty awesome, but the gear i had already (and have had for quite a few levels; like my boots are level 21 reqd. and i still use them) was better x.x

Question: I'm on a Mac. Do I have to get a different version of the game? I ask because my friend is offering to give me a copy (she stopped playing right after she hit sixty over a year ago) but she's on a PC so I don't know if it would work.

I actually think there is a different version; but i have a friend who plays WoW on a mac so i can check for ya.

let me add that -

I'm level 60 and I still find plenty to do, just as much as lower levels except I'm not constantly grinding monsters and doing quest after quest (OH NOES?!)

Instead I get to run some awesome end-game instances trying to get pieces of my epic armor set so I may get into a good guild and run Molten Core (around 40 men) to get pieces of my even greater armor set / epic weapons. (MC can take like 4-7 hours depending on how good your guild is) So I find it great fun.

ALSO NOTE, Burning crusade comes out in October adding new end-game instances and increasing the level cap to 70! Therefore giving you alot more stuff for your 60 to do getting up to 70, also with the much appreciated addition of SOCKETED ITEMS (Like in diablo 2), and a whole new continent with Flying moutns, the expansion is going to be "RADICALLL" and much worth getting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You should get WoW over the summer...If you play alot you might be able to get a few level 60 characters. Its a really great game and the monthly fee is only 15 dollars, there is alot of things you can do in that game even if you get to lvl 60.