Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
David

Brave New World

BUT THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY FUCKING ROBOTS.

I was fine with the whole scenario behind BNW until they got to the class system. Why is it that a society with an official state drug of happiness (without sideeffects or repercussions), embryo splitting, world peace, and genetic engineering has to spawn dwarfish freaks to push elevator buttons for them? They even talk about how Epsilons need improvement, how they can't be put to work until 18 because they aren't mature... here's an idea: MAKE A FUCKING ROBOT DO ITS JOB. You don't have to feed it, it can be put to work immediately, and it doesn't require you to force people into a class system.

Even we have voice-controlled elevators, motion sensing toilets and hand dryers.

BNW is supposed to be satire. Satire about class systems? Here I thought Feudalism went out in the 1200s.

And while I'm on the topic, every other book the English department has thrown at us is just a barrel of untapped rage.

16560-6.gif

Here's one of my favorites. There are FOUR, count them, FOUR important plot developments throughout the entire 288 pages of this book. The rest of the book is filler. Pointless and meaningless filler. What's the point of the book? It's the completely unimportant yet documented life of a 10 year old Irish boy who puts more responsibility on his shoulders than he can take. There's no morals behind it, no messages or lessons (aside from "don't be a dumb bitch") or any reason to teach it in an English-4 class aside from it being written in English.

If I wanted to read about the daily shenanigans of a 10 year old Irish boy, I'd travel to Ireland, beat up a 10 year old Irish boy, and steal his diary. I bet at least one out of ten 10 year-old Irish boys carry a diary.

The world in BNW is a dystopia. More importantly, the technologies in BNW are used only if they help maintain control over the people at all stages. While a robot would help, it would give the epsilons no place to go, making them useless and unable to be controlled by the government.

I'll discuss more about BNW if needed. I wrote an english paper on the book.

The world in BNW is a dystopia. More importantly, the technologies in BNW are used only if they help maintain control over the people at all stages. While a robot would help, it would give the epsilons no place to go, making them useless and unable to be controlled by the government.

What he said. The ruling class wasn't out to make life better for everyone, they wanted to ensure their place in society by keeping the rest of humanity stupid, brainwashed, and busy with work or drunk on soma. As long as they were kept in that state they were incapable of revolting against the ruling class.

But why even breed Epsilons in the first place in that case?

Of course, that part of the book was just thrown in to make them immoral, I think, because the rest of the book (from what I remember, it's been a few years) really wasn't that repulsive. Sans the class system, that is.

But why even breed Epsilons in the first place in that case?

Maybe because they're sick assholes who enjoy having power over other people? I dunno, something like that.

I fail to see the problem. BNW sacrifices morality for happiness. The Epsilons do not mind being epsilons. Everyone is happy, and thse who don't fit in can choose exile among others like them. It may not be perfect, but its a hell of a lot better than any other option I've heard

wha wha what?? You read Brave New World and you think it's a good idea?

I don't think the crazy class system is a good idea.

Everything else is fine by me.

I don't think the crazy class system is a good idea.

Everything else is fine by me.

You think forcing people to remain perpetually ignorant with brainwashing and censorship to keep them in line and depriving them of oxygen and ect when they're fetuses to make them stupid is fine?

You think forcing people to remain perpetually ignorant with brainwashing and censorship to keep them in line and depriving them of oxygen and ect when they're fetuses to make them stupid is fine?

I said it's fine WITHOUT the crazy class system!

All that stuff is part of the crazy class system!

Although it's quite possible I'm forgetting stuff. It's been awhile since I read it.

I thought the crazy class system was interesting XD;

I mean like if you have robots it's just "Ooo Robots"

It seems like the rest of the culture we get from the book is free drugs with no ill effects, and completely casual sex, both of which would be cool.

Yea, but the drugs were just to lull people into a fake happiness, same with the casual sex and they were brainwashed into doing it. You can have casual sex now, and stuff like peyote isn't bad for you.

I don't know, I was just so highly disturbed by everything in that book it's kind of shocking to see people thinking anything about it was good.

Yea, but the drugs were just to lull people into a fake happiness, same with the casual sex and they were brainwashed into doing it. You can have casual sex now, and stuff like peyote isn't bad for you.

I don't know, I was just so highly disturbed by everything in that book it's kind of shocking to see people thinking anything about it was good.

It was completely socially acceptable and actually casual; as opposed to now when it's still a little weird.

Personally, I didn't think the book was well written enough to disturb me. But that's just me. He had all this immoral shit going on... And I just though "Look out the window, there's stuff just as bad going on every day." Suppose I'm jaded or something, and I lead a pretty sheltered life, too.

Hey, if you're out to make a controlled society, with few rebels, you've got to admit that path isn't too shabby.

I just read it for school, so its fairly fresh in my mind. What struck me about it was at the end how everyone except the one guy was happy. Those who don't fit in are allowed to choose their own exile. Most of all, everyone is happy. I don't care how that happiness comes about, everyone is happy. The savage reservations are the one problem, but they seem necessary as a way to keep the species going if the system fails, plus most of the "savages" probably don't want to live in the larger society. Containing them forcefully isn't great, but compared to killing them, its pretty humane. What I like is that it seems so much more believable than other ideas. it's not perfect, but at least its better than what we've got

What I like is that it seems so much more believable than other ideas. it's not perfect, but at least its better than what we've got

I don't know, I think I found 1984 to be a lot more believable, but it still had some pretty far fetched parts.

I think Brave New World is more believable then 1984, since in BNW people are controlled by ignorance and synthetic bliss, instead of fear. Historically, fear hasn't worked; Currently, ignorance is working.

And the whole idea behind the classes is that someone of Beta or Alpha status couldn't do the work of a Epsilon and still be happy. Someone has to be on the bottom to support the top and the Epsilons do that and are happy from it. As for Robots doing there job, the technology of BNW really isn't that amazing. The genetic engineering is pretty basic, except for the cloning process, and we already have several drugs that could pass for soma.

I guess it was totally socially acceptable, but at the cost of sex with actual emotional attachment (or emotional attachment in general).

Alundra how can you bad moth this book. It was amazing. Also they didn;t have robots as they structured after FORDS.... FORDS FOR CHRISSAKE.

I totally agree with amy in the reason that BNW is more beliavalble then 1984.

I just read it for school, so its fairly fresh in my mind. What struck me about it was at the end how everyone except the one guy was happy. Those who don't fit in are allowed to choose their own exile. Most of all, everyone is happy. I don't care how that happiness comes about, everyone is happy. The savage reservations are the one problem, but they seem necessary as a way to keep the species going if the system fails, plus most of the "savages" probably don't want to live in the larger society. Containing them forcefully isn't great, but compared to killing them, its pretty humane. What I like is that it seems so much more believable than other ideas. it's not perfect, but at least its better than what we've got

Uh but they're only happy because of brainwashing and being fucked with before they're born. It's not real happiness. They don't live a real life with real emotions and art and knowledge and all of what life really is. Would you really want to be and be surrounded by ignorant soul-less people?

I don't know, but in the book they're brainwashed when they're little children and sleeping to be happy. You can't tell me that's real happiness. How can it exist without any other feelings, anyway? I don't understand, do you want to basically be a flesh robot?