Devil May Cry series no longer Sony exclusive.

J-Stop

PS3 exclusive Devil May Cry no more

Posted by darthmahon on May 18, 2006

The Devil May Cry series may soon be coming to the Xbox 360, marking the end of the long standing Sony-exclusive series.

Devil May Cry producer, Hiroshi Kobayashi, recently revealed to Japanese Magazine Famitsu that he expects Dante (character within the game) to make his next-gen debut on the Xbox 360 and Wii and not the PS3 as first thought.

This is very interesting and quite a big announcement. With the PS3 losing many of its exclusive titles it will open up the possibility of a new power being crowned console king. With the price tag of the PS3 above the 360 and performance differences minimal, Sony need all the exclusives they can get.

Kobayashi also stated that he still does not know the true power of the PS3, but he expects the game to feature the same feel and style as the trailer shown at last year's E3. One thing that will be changing is the fighting system. It will now be aimed at making the difficulty suitable for all players, allowing for players to perform acrobatic maneuvers whilst fighting more easily.

Source: PixelGamers

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was so hard about the fighting system before? It was just R1+Away/Towards+Circle/X/Square for pretty much all commands aside from Air Hiking and Round Trips.

The fact that the game is being made to cater to gamers who can't handle difficulty is disappointing. DMC was ridiculously hard to get through DMD, DMC3 was easier in that you could replay missions and could whore out the RoyalGuard style, the Special Edition made DMD as easy as Hard was... at this rate DMC4's DMD will be a cakewalk.

If this is true then I'm not really surprised. The industry has gotten more and more expensive to develop, market and distribute games. Developers and publishers are now more willing to release games to as wide a range of platform owners as possible to not just recoup cost but to achieve a higher bottom line. There will always be games that'll remain exclusive to one particular console and are usually first-party titles. I don't see Gran Turismo series jumping off to also become a 360 game since Digital Polyphony is partially owned by Sony.

Some games seem to also remain exclusive just for the fact that it may not be suited to succeed on a certain console. People prior to E3 spoke of how Oblivion may get ported over to the PS3 and much hulla-balloo was made of the rumor, but it was quickly denied by Bethesda though that ossibility still exists. This parrticular game seems more suited for the PC and 360 for how it goes against the Japanese-style RPG that's so prevalent on the Sony systems. I myself hope it does at least get ported to the PS3 just to allow Bethesda an even larger fanbase to develop.

But in the end, the high price point for the PS3 will be one, if not the primary, reason why developers are now more willing to drop exclusivity for their titles and release their games on other systems like the 360 and the Wii when in the past they only went to the Sony systems.

IF there's a silver lining to Sony fans everywhere, this may give Itagaki-san an opening to release Ninja Gaiden 2 on the PS3 as well as the 360.

From what I'm seeing from sources like Magic Box is that it is and will remain a PS3 exclusive and the information that that site got was a mistranslation. I don't much care, I wasn't a fan of DMC, just don't go getting ready to pop it into your 360 quite yet.

Magic Box isn't that valuable of a source either. I also went back as far as May 9th and it has no info about this any where, so I don't know where you're getting this from.

So I just checked out PS3tester.com and the like.

Apparently it was just a rumor. However Capcom and "exclusive" don't mix well in the same sentence.

They've broken exclusives many times in the past, even backstabbing their own producers to do so.

Plenty of other well known developers have signed to make games for the 360. There's also a recent poll floating around that shows Japan seems more intrested in the 360 rather then the PS3 right now. If sales spike for the system, there's no doubt Capcom will develop more games for them.

Plenty of other well known developers have signed to make games for the 360. There's also a recent poll floating around that shows Japan seems more intrested in the 360 rather then the PS3 right now. If sales spike for the system, there's no doubt Capcom will develop more games for them.

It's not too surprising that there is more interest in the Xbox 360 than the PS3--the 360 is out. It's been launched, it's been field tested, everyone who owns one loves it. The PS3 is still in development, we still only have a proposed price, nothing set in stone yet.

Devil May Cry sucks. I think Sony should be happy that that shitty game series won't be associated with their console anymore.

And Dante is a super-lame character. It's such a shame that an awesome RPG like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne had to be disgraced by his presense.

Devil May Cry sucks. I think Sony should be happy that that shitty game series won't be associated with their console anymore.

And Dante is a super-lame character. It's such a shame that an awesome RPG like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne had to be disgraced by his presense.

You're...joking right? As a character, Dante isn't all that supurb (I prefer Vergil). But DMC1 & 3 are fun...especially 3. When the first game came out, it redefined the 3d platformer in how it was played. It took the static camera angles of Resident Evil, and combined it with an intuitive control scheme. DMC was everything I wanted Onimusha to be.

Do you dislike Devil May Cry? I think that's obvious. But I don't think it's fair to say it sucks just because of your subjective opinion. Care to give actual reasons as to why it sucks?

You're...joking right? As a character, Dante isn't all that supurb (I prefer Vergil). But DMC1 & 3 are fun...especially 3. When the first game came out, it redefined the 3d platformer in how it was played. It took the static camera angles of Resident Evil, and combined it with an intuitive control scheme. DMC was everything I wanted Onimusha to be.

Do you dislike Devil May Cry? I think that's obvious. But I don't think it's fair to say it sucks just because of your subjective opinion. Care to give actual reasons as to why it sucks?

dude..he's bein sarcastic I like Devil May Cry 1 and 3 though I like the stories in them.