Accelerated Evolution

Best on-screen fight and chase scene

Instead of trying to do two seprate topics on the subjects, I decided to just combine the two. Everyone here seem to have seen quite abit of films in their history to know have seen on-screen fights that surprised them. Film chase scenes that made them take notice. Or even a combination of the two. So, just start posting saway which on-screen fight and chase scene you all think deserves mention as some of the best on film ever.

Nearly any fight scene in Ong-Bak, Bison vs Guile (Street Fighter), Scorpion vs Johnny Cage (Mortal Kombat), Liu Kang vs Sub Zero (Mortal Kombat)

If we can include anime films (SF2) Ryu vs Fei Long I adored the finishing move in that fight.

Also (Ninja Scroll) can't remember names but the main character when he faced the blind dude. Didn;t see the fight ending that way, com,plete surprise I had totally forgot about the first part of the fight which lead to the end.

Oh the fights in shadow skill are also pretty damn amazing.

One fight I have to say deserves mention as one of the best ever: Roddy Piper vs. Keith David in John Carpenter's They Live. Every time I watch that fight on dvd, I can almost feel each punch, kick, clothesline, suplex, etc...

As far as car chases go... I've got one word for you... Bullitt.

On the top of my favorite car chases. I have to put Ronin's car chases in there just for the fact Frankenheimer knows how to do car chases. He actually gives the audience the sensation of breakneck speed.

I second that fight scene for Drunken Master 2

but my fight scene was win Jet Li fought Marc Dacascos in the movie Cradle 2 The Grave..fuck can i choose another fight scene? Dacascos Vs. the Asian guy in the movie "Drive"

Best car chase scene..only one that comes to mind to me was Bad Boys 2 imo

Fights -

Troy (Hector vs Achilles). Not the greatest movie, but nobody can deny how good that fight was. Really showed off the mechanics of a fight.

Fist of Legend (Zhen vs Fujita).

Kill Bill v2 (Drver vs the Bride)

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (Michelle Yeoh vs Zhang Ziyi).

The Princess Bride (Montoya vs. the Man in Black)

Hero (Yen vs Li)

Chases -

Ronin, Bourne Identity, Bullitt, The French Connection.

The final battle from the Seven Samurai. I wish more people would make action scenes like that. Instead of all these crack-inspired quick cut-fests they make these days. I like the giant, smooth pans of Kurosawa's stuff because I can actually tell what's going on.

Oh, I think that climactic scene with the rain muddying up the road as peasant and ronin fought the bandits was very nice. But I always thought of scenes like that as action sequences and less of a close-in, drag-out fight between two people. But if thats how you describe fight scenes, then I have to say that the bookends of Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan deserves some mention. The Omaha Beach Landing and the battle for the French village and bridge are some of the most complex and brutal scenes of action on screen that actually served the story and the themes in the film. More incredible is the fact that both scenes were done with no prior storyboarding to plan things out. Seems Spielberg by nature doesn't storyboard his films, but goes from memory as to how to set up the scene.

Oh, I think that climactic scene with the rain muddying up the road as peasant and ronin fought the bandits was very nice. But I always thought of scenes like that as action sequences and less of a close-in, drag-out fight between two people. But if thats how you describe fight scenes, then I have to say that the bookends of Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan deserves some mention. The Omaha Beach Landing and the battle for the French village and bridge are some of the most complex and brutal scenes of action on screen that actually served the story and the themes in the film. More incredible is the fact that both scenes were done with no prior storyboarding to plan things out. Seems Spielberg by nature doesn't storyboard his films, but goes from memory as to how to set up the scene.

If we're going off two-person fights, there's also an excellent duel sequence in The Hidden Fortress.

I just get sick of how many quick cuts there are. Sometimes still cameras and long shots can get your blood pumping just as much, usually more.