Accelerated Evolution

What is Taoism?

The way which can be uttered, is not the eternal Way.

The name which can be named, is not the eternal Name.

-- Wikipedia quoting the Dao De Jing

I'm reading the article on Wikipedia, that's the only advice I can give you. It seems cool.

EDIT: They have some translation notes that say that by "uttered" and "named" (basically the verb "to speak") they could also mean "advocated."

'"I am new and very interested in Taoism... Please tell me what it is exactly? I can't seem to find much that is definite."

That is the tao.'

- exchange on IRC

Discuss.

its about self exploration, meditation, finding inner peace, I wrote taoism down on all school surveys that include religion.

I was Unitarian... but even they don't fully accept Atheists. Religion. BAH.

Eventually, I just found philosophy to be a lot more interesting too, I guess.

At my church they do. Most of the people who go there are atheists, in fact. There was a big uproar awhile back because the Pastor mentioned Jesus in one of his sermons. The point is that they accept everyone looking for spiritual/philosophical fulfilment. If the church you went to didn't accept atheists than, quite simply, they weren't Unitarian Universalists.

The UUA is about the silliest organization ever. There is no organization in the religion!

<-- Is a practicing Unitarian Universalist.

WHAT?!

1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)

2. Unitarian Universalism (90%)

3. Liberal Quakers (84%)

4. Secular Humanism (78%)

5. Neo-Pagan (75%)

6. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (70%)

7. Bahá'í Faith (65%)

8. Nontheist (64%)

9. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (55%)

10. New Thought (55%)

11. New Age (54%)

12. Reform Judaism (48%)

13. Mahayana Buddhism (47%)

14. Taoism (44%)

15. Scientology (43%)

16. Theravada Buddhism (42%)

17. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (40%)

18. Sikhism (38%)

19. Jehovah's Witness (36%)

20. Hinduism (19%)

21. Orthodox Quaker (19%)

22. Eastern Orthodox (9%)

23. Islam (9%)

24. Orthodox Judaism (9%)

25. Roman Catholic (9%)

26. Jainism (0%)

27. Seventh Day Adventist (0%)

Damn my belief system for being hard to describe!

At my church they do. Most of the people who go there are atheists, in fact. There was a big uproar awhile back because the Pastor mentioned Jesus in one of his sermons. The point is that they accept everyone looking for spiritual/philosophical fulfilment. If the church you went to didn't accept atheists than, quite simply, they weren't Unitarian Universalists.

The UUA is about the silliest organization ever. There is no organization in the religion!

<-- Is a practicing Unitarian Universalist.

The philosophy of the church is much too upbeat for me. It gives meaning and absolutes where there are none seemingly.

That being said, it is the only church I have ever even slightly liked. Besides, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson both liked it too.

Oddly enough in music theory we had a "Fun Day" where our teacher just asks us random trivia and we answer for points to win an lollipop. - Anyway one of the questions is what the name of the 2 pieces of the Daoist symbol was, and easily I answered Ying and Yang.

The philosophy of the church is much too upbeat for me. It gives meaning and absolutes where there are none seemingly.

That being said, it is the only church I have ever even slightly liked. Besides, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson both liked it too.

Really? I see a lot of "Unitarian" references in history but it's a completely different sect, not UU like today.

I like the philosophy but I think if you're a religion, you shouldn't just accept everyone and have no real values, and then you shouldn't say you have no real values and have sermons against hate.