Accelerated Evolution

Superficial Artists Dead?

Nega-Brent

Taylorhicksai.JPG> Katharinem.jpg

Last night on American Idol, silver-haired 29 year-old Taylor Hicks won American Idol against the beautiful Katherine McPhee. Seasons before, overweight Ruben Studdard and somewhat gangly Clay Aiken made it to the finals, with Ruben Studdard as the final victor.

I do not watch American Idol, nor do I really care for the mostly pop music recorded by most of the contestants, but Hicks' victory surprised me. Admittingly I was aware of who he was and that he was a finalist since in America the only way to avoid hearing anything about American Idol is to burry yourself underground until the season is over with. Even though I do not watch, I was secretly rooting for him since he was seemingly the underdog in comparison to McPhee, who was less talented but beautiful.

Those who watch and vote for American Idol chose the underdog, the more talented but less beautiful Taylor Hicks. So are they begining to recognize talent over beauty? Are pop stars being held to higher standards by their audiences now?

Absolutely. I think it can be summed up in one word too, Internet. The internet has changed the way people listen to music and with more and more people having more access to every song ever, they hear more music by default. And a lot more people in the last 5 years have thrown around the word talent more often.

Absolutely. I think it can be summed up in one word too, Internet. The internet has changed the way people listen to music and with more and more people having more access to every song ever, they hear more music by default. And a lot more people in the last 5 years have thrown around the word talent more often.

Indeed, in fact Tom Hicks dedicated his victory to his online fan group dubbed "The Soul Patrol," which started on American Idol message boards.

I've never seen American Idol in my life, but just take a look at what's popular today. I haven't listened to the radio in years, but I think more and more people can say the same now. I hear a great deal more Modest Mouse and Shins songs out and about than I do Pearl Jam ripoffs these days. It might be a different world from American Idol, but it's improving along the same general lines.

I think it's cool that he won. I saw part of the last episode and the judges said that her last song wasn't powerful enough for her talent. That guy was good though. (What I saw).

That gal is cute as all hell though.

By the way Rocksteady... I hope you realize how incredibly fucking annoying your name is right now.