Accelerated Evolution

GETTING A JOB???

margot

If you haven't got experience, you'll either have to take up jobs that require no experience or rely on good references from teachers and co-workers. Your transcript can also help if your grades are decent, someone with straight As can qualify as entry level even if they are only a Junior in high school.

The classifieds section of your local newspaper should have plenty of ads for summer jobs, many of which will be asking for students/17+/no exp since summer is starting and many people will be looking for summer jobs. Course, with the classifieds you can end up with a job that requires you to commute to the other side of the city... make sure you ask where you'll be working.

I thought you worked as a waitress at some point

I've only been applying to entry level places (grocery stores and stuff, none ask about my transcript and it's not great anyway since I had problems freshman year), I dunno I'll check Craigslist I guess, and drill my teachers for their numbers.

Mm! I am going to get a summer job, and I may have found the perfect place to get one!

This small grocery store near my house, just run by this dude and anyone he sees fit to hire. He's hired neighborhood kids in the past, and he really likes me. So I am optimistic.

I will talk to him tomorrow, wish me luck!

Well, to be fair, people with no experience are better for grocery stores since they cost less.

I myself am having trouble finding a job, but I'm definitely going to take a look at a grocery store.

Same here. I can't even count the number of places I'm applied to the past few months trying to get one. The last thing I have is Ross and I have to praaaaaaaay they hire me otherwise my dad is taking me out of town with him to work one of his sales all summer. -_-

It's really depressing when youre girlfriend has two jobs yet you can't find one. Except her mom hooked her up with both of those. But still I feel as though I should just cut my balls off.

Try job hunting for another states. :X

What I recommend is tally ANY experience you have, like, take your computer time and how many years you've used it, and bam! Experience.

Then, make up some kind of admin position you had.

Then, join a temping agency. If you look nice and ace their data entry computer tests (REALLy easy stuff), they'll find you good basic positions that you can easily screw up in, because people go 'Oh, she's just a temp.'

You need access to a good vehicle, and they often done put you in a steady job for like 2 weeks- 1 month.

you know a good trick to getting hired, show that you have intrest in it, try to call back and ask if they reviewed your application,because for one it shows that you really want the job in general, that never failed me..jus a heads up if your starting off.

Try job hunting for another states. :X

What I recommend is tally ANY experience you have, like, take your computer time and how many years you've used it, and bam! Experience.

Then, make up some kind of admin position you had.

Then, join a temping agency. If you look nice and ace their data entry computer tests (REALLy easy stuff), they'll find you good basic positions that you can easily screw up in, because people go 'Oh, she's just a temp.'

You need access to a good vehicle, and they often done put you in a steady job for like 2 weeks- 1 month.

D: But you can't make up experience right?

D: But you can't make up experience right?

Of course you can. It's not like many places actually call around and check. And besides, make up important sounding titles for BS stuff. Ever babysat a kid? Well, you sir/madam are a child care manager. Ever mow the grass? Hello landscaper! It can be lots of fun making up important titles for crap:D

It has to be a believable lie. And you even have the choice of whether or not they can contact your last employer. So I recommend using a teacher as a reference, or another nice adult, if they NEED one, but they most likely wont.

Also, dress up the experience you do have, or bend it around, to make it sound nice. Do I tell people I draw homoerotic bishounen for commissions? NO! I say 'Freelancer digital artist for 4 years, Private Clients.' SS is absolutely right in that regard. Hell, you're in a message board. Human Resource experience, you can say.

If you need to make stuff up, make it, again, totally believable.

Administrative Assistant/Clerical for KW Realty or some random small hotel chain.

OK, who the hell is going to lie about a boring-ass job like that? :P They buy it. Just say you did things like took phone calls, filing, greeted people, computer work, etc.

Honestly, it is ALL ABOUT THE INTERVIEW. They could care less if Joe Blow or Janet Fanet has a nice resume, because they secretly assume you are dressing yourself up. You have to make them like -you- during the interview, and they'll total forgive any weaknesses you have on the actual job. Hell, you're smart, they will never suspect anything if you win them over in the interview.

I'm a compulsive liar IRL, so it comes easily to me :X

The only catch is to NEVER GET CAUGHT LYING. Research what you're gonna BS, so you sound believable. If they find out after they hire you, they can fire you.

They never found out with me, though ^^

Oh woah okay, I took your advice and said I had 1 year experience with data entry and stuff when I filled out an application for this temp agency site and they submitted it to a bunch of places so hopefully that will help. Don't tell me I'm not qualified enough to type meaningless numbers into a computer all day, job system.

I am worried about the job interview thing though! I am not a really likable person at first because I'm so shy.

This is fantastic! Like I can say I am a free-lance editor and stuff.

Oh woah okay, I took your advice and said I had 1 year experience with data entry and stuff when I filled out an application for this temp agency site and they submitted it to a bunch of places so hopefully that will help. Don't tell me I'm not qualified enough to type meaningless numbers into a computer all day, job system.

I am worried about the job interview thing though! I am not a really likable person at first because I'm so shy.

This is fantastic! Like I can say I am a free-lance editor and stuff.

I'm like that too but usually during interviews I open up easily. Just smile and look them in the eye the whole time and your shyness will go away during the interview.

Depends where you apply in terms of making up experience. It's most wise to still make it sound like you are willing to work for minimum wage even if you make up experience.

well they usually ask for like well someone like a friend who knows you and such..and ask if they are a hard worker, but I guess I'm thinking too critical and such about making up experience like on a resume'..thats jus evil as shit, but when I got my first job.. I did the persistence thing and didn't need experience, I mean if you show that you want it they will call you back