international travel

amy

Do you remember traveling to a country that you weren't born in for more than 12 consecutive hours?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. hmmm

• yes
    • no

Well yeah...Canada for one -- I've lived here since 1990. Then, Atlanta last year -- 22hrs there, 18 back -- and 3 days in Atlanta --

I dunno how its changed me...for one, I adore Canada -- I wouldn't go back for the world. Atlanta was amazing...but it just makes me miss it cuz I was with all my friends and it was one of the best times in my life. Not sure how else to answer this question...

Yes. One time I flew to Jalisco, Mexico. That's pretty far south. It was pretty neat.

I also drive to south of the border on occasion. I like to go to Ensenada & eat lots of tacoes & drink lots of BEER!!! \( ^o^)/ <3

But yeah. Everytime I go south of the border I get reminded how lucky we are living in the United States & how we take for granted a lot of things. A lot of peole are extremely poor & a good chunk of them live in poverty. It's quite sad. Yes. They're selling stuff or begging for money just to get something to eat or to get their daily necessities. ( ;o;)

Well, as you know I went to Japan for 10 days and it was such a short trip and I was with other Americans all the time and we only visited touristy places so I wasn't really "immersed" so I did not grow. But I did really bond with my 2 friends (we stayed in the same hotel every night XD).

I want to go to Japan next year for 1 month during June, but there are other options too.

Canada, but that doesn't really count for me, I'm so far North that California and Florida seemed weirder than Vancouver or Toronto.

I know what you mean. I live three hours away from Canada, so I go there all the time, but I have family in San Francisco, so I go there a lot too.

When I was a kid I was always confused. We'd drive a comparatively short distance and have to use different money. But traveling four times farther to San Francisco, we'd still be using the same money.

I guess it's changed me in the same way that doing anything changes one. I've had some good times up in Canada, I have several acquantainces my age in Vancouver who I like to hang out with from time to time. They are great people. I definitely think that Europe is a very sane continent, and Canada as well. Vancouver BC is one of my favorite cities, ever. I wanted to go to college there, but they didn't let me in because I didn't take senior level english (even though I did). But I'm going to go to Evergreen for a year or so and then transfer to UBC, because they said I could do that.

Also, one time when I was really young I went to the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Alberta. Many years later I went back; it was very awesome both times. I like Alberta a lot. And I got to see the Aurora Borealis. It's the farthest north I've ever been.

I've also been to England for two weeks and Italy for a week. That was an experience. England is an awesome country, same for Italy. I'd like to visit both again.

This summer I'm going to France for a week or so and Spain for five days. It should be an experience, as I speak neither French nor Spanish.

I have never been to another country ;__; Australia it is for me! Although I'm trying to save for a trip to the UK next year :D

Oh, I want to visit Australia sometime. I always thought it would be a cool place. There's a lot of places I want to visit, but Australia is definitely at the top of the list.

Well... Behind Svalbard of course. Because it's fuckin' Svalbard.

A few years ago I spent a few days in Stuttgart, at my uncle's house. It made me realize that America is missing a lot of the historical culture that you can find in countries like Germany. I suppose it has to do with being a young country and all, but it's definitely something I became aware of during that trip. Also, Germans are some drinking motherfuckers, I'll tell you that much.

A little under two years ago I was up in Ontario on business. Aside from the beautiful nature scenes, I really didn't think it was too different from the USA. Maybe I should have spent more time mingling with the locals, though.

I took a one-week tour of China last March with an older group. I consider it pivotal because it was during my trip to China I cemented my new Five Year Plan for making myself a true adventurer. I'm going back this September, to teach for a year in Xi'an.

I have a lot of good memories of China, mostly from Zhouzhuang. Walking along the river, trying my first Wansan Pig Upper Leg, and the divine photograph.

haven't left the US yet. hell, only left California a few times in my life

there's been talk of taking a trip to Europe once i finally get my degree, though

As someone who is likely going to do something artistic for a living you owe it to yourself to go to Europe. Even if you don't like pre-20th century art (I'm pretty sure you said this once) you should definitely take a look at some old churches and visit the Museo Picasso among other things. My trip to Italy and Greece had my Art History teacher lecturing us about everything since just about everything has some sort of significance in the history of art and architecture.

Also, to Ceraziefish. Buy a phrasebook, fortunately Spanish and French have some similarities (Not like Spanish and Italian though, but still they are close) and just have fun. France isn't as tourist friendly as Spain, but if you visit the tourist areas in France, everyone there will speak some English thanks to their British neighbors.

3.5 months, eh? How long you spending with SC?

I don't know how often I'll be hanging out with him since I'm going to school while I'm over there and everything. But I'm hoping to spend some time with him, drinking, etc.

When I was 14, our school did a special millennium trip to China. We stayed for 10 days and visited: The Great Wall, Forbidden City, Tiannamen Square, The Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, Terracotta Warriors, to name just a few. It was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.

I was so lucky to see all those beautiful, breathtaking sights. It was magical.

As for how it changed me: it gave me a huge desire to travel. Not so much to the places similar to the UK (eg America & Australia) or Europe but to places different. Yes, China has become pretty westernised but there's still so much of the eastern culture evident, particularly in the small villages.

What it also gave me was the need to travel to the Himalayas. We flew home in the early morning. Looking out over the massive mountain range, the snow all tinged with pink, I told myself that I would visit before I die. I haven't been yet, but plan to go in the next few years.

Aye, China was great!

Back in the summer of '96 me and a group of people from my school went on a month long trip to Germany where we stayed with host families on a sort of exchange, since their kids had come and stayed with us earlier. It really blew me away in some aspects when I went to a town that was celebrating it's 600th anniversary, and here our country has only been around for a bit over 200 years. It was certainly worth it to go, and it made me want to visit other countries as well.

As someone who is likely going to do something artistic for a living you owe it to yourself to go to Europe. Even if you don't like pre-20th century art (I'm pretty sure you said this once) you should definitely take a look at some old churches and visit the Museo Picasso among other things. My trip to Italy and Greece had my Art History teacher lecturing us about everything since just about everything has some sort of significance in the history of art and architecture.

*big snip*

i wouldn't say i don't like pre-modernism art, it just doesn't affect my art as much as some modern faves. but man, i'd KILL to see some Rembrandt, Velasquez, da Vinci.... and i've come to like old Greek designs a bit, possibly because of i've been seeing a lot of octopi on old urns and stuff

and after this history of interiors class i took last year i'm pretty stoked to see some ancient architecture

i wouldn't say i don't like pre-modernism art, it just doesn't affect my art as much as some modern faves. but man, i'd KILL to see some Rembrandt, Velasquez, da Vinci.... and i've come to like old Greek designs a bit, possibly because of i've been seeing a lot of octopi on old urns and stuff

and after this history of interiors class i took last year i'm pretty stoked to see some ancient architecture

Well if you go to Athens down the line, visit the Archaelogical Museum (I believe that is the name). They have without a doubt the best collection of Greek vase painting in the world. Vatican Museums come in a close second though. And while in Greece you HAVE to go to Delphi, Mycenae, and the Theatre of Epiduras. Delphi, no matter how many pictures I took, I cannot describe. It is perhaps the single most amazing place I've ever been. If you want ancient architecture that isn't in a hostile region of the world (Iraq, Egypt, etc.) , Greece is definitely the place to go.

I unfortunately saw no Rembrandt, Velasquez, or da Vinci while I was in Europe. But given that I didn't visit the Louvre or Prado there is a reason. If you are a fan of Michelangelo though (which I am), then Rome is a place you must visit. And if you like Caravaggio (My friend Allie's favorite painter) then you have to visit the Church of San Luigi dei Francesi in Rome. His St. Matthew paintings are there.

I could go on for awhile of how much I saw in just 10 days, but I'll stop. Let me just leave it at this, you owe it to yourself to just see half of what I saw in person. It will blow your mind.

Easily one of the best parts of my trip to Italy.

Yeah, our teacher took us in there and I didn't think much of it. I was looking around and kinda went, "I've seen so many churches the last day". And then I saw a crowd of people at the side chapel down to my far left so I went over to investigate. My jaw hit the floor. More awesome though was the fact that you have to pay money to shine lights on the paintings. This kept me amused for a good day, removing my amusement from the souvenier shop that one of the side chapels in St. Maria Majore (At least it was right next to a side chapel, leading me to believe it was also) was made into.

Also, to Ceraziefish. Buy a phrasebook, fortunately Spanish and French have some similarities (Not like Spanish and Italian though, but still they are close) and just have fun. France isn't as tourist friendly as Spain, but if you visit the tourist areas in France, everyone there will speak some English thanks to their British neighbors.

Well, I'm going to be living with a French family, and all of them speak English (especially the parents, I talked to his dad on the phone and he didn't even have an accent) so hopefully that will help.

P.S. Muchos gatos, por favor.