Heroic Iraq Veteran sues Michael Moore/Miramax over Fahrenheit 9/11

Crube

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/enter...es/14709855.htm

BOSTON - A veteran who lost both arms in the war in Iraq is suing filmmaker Michael Moore for $85 million, alleging that Moore used snippets of a television interview without his permission to falsely portray him as anti-war in "Fahrenheit 9/11."

Sgt. Peter Damon, a National Guardsman from Middleborough, is asking for damages because of "loss of reputation, emotional distress, embarrassment, and personal humiliation," according to the lawsuit filed in Suffolk Superior Court last week.

Damon, 33, claims that Moore never asked for his consent to use a clip from an interview Damon did with NBC's "Nightly News."

He lost his arms when a tire on a Black Hawk helicopter exploded while he and another reservist were servicing the aircraft on the ground. Another reservist was killed in the explosion.

In his interview with NBC, Damon was asked about a new painkiller the military was using on wounded veterans. He claims in his lawsuit that the way Moore used the film clip in "Fahrenheit 9/11" - Moore's scathing 2004 documentary criticizing the Bush administration and the war in Iraq - makes him appear to "voice a complaint about the war effort" when he was actually complaining about "the excruciating type of pain" that comes with the injury he suffered.

In the movie, Damon is shown lying on a gurney, with his wounds bandaged. He says he feels likes he's "being crushed in a vise."

"But they (the painkillers) do a lot to help it," he says. "And they take a lot of the edge off of it."

Damon is shown shortly after U.S. Rep. Jim McDermott, D-Wash., is speaking about the Bush administration and says, "You know, they say they're not leaving any veterans behind, but they're leaving all kinds of veterans behind."

Damon contends that Moore's positioning of the clip just after the congressman's comments makes him appear as if he feels like he was "left behind" by the Bush administration and the military.

In his lawsuit, Damon says he "agrees with and supports the President and the United States' war effort, and he was not left behind."

He said that, while at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center recovering from his wounds, he had surgery and physical therapy, learned to use prosthetics and live independently. He also said that Homes For Our Troops, a not-for-profit group, built him a house with handicapped accessibility.

"The work creates a substantially fictionalized and falsified implication as a wounded serviceman who was left behind when Plaintiff was not left behind but supported, financially and emotionally, by the active assistance of the President, the United States and his family, friends, acquaintances and community," Damon says in his lawsuit.

Moore did not immediately return calls seeking comment Wednesday. A message was left for Moore at a personal number in New York and with HarperCollins, publisher of Moore's 2002 book, "Stupid White Men...And Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation!"

A spokesman for Miramax Film Corp., also named as a defendant, did not immediately return a call.

Damon did not immediately respond to a request for an interview.

"It's upsetting to him because he's lived his life supportive of his government, he's been a patriot, he's been a soldier, and he's now being portrayed in a movie that is the antithesis of all of that," Damon's lawyer, Dennis Lynch, said.

Damon is seeking $75 million in damages for emotional distress and loss of reputation. His wife is suing for an additional $10 million in damages because of the mental distress caused to her husband, Lynch said.

Which is why I always like to point out to people that Fahrenheit 9/11 is a documentary in name only. Moore had an agenda going into making the film and edited the film in a way to make him look 100 percent right while anyone disagreeing with him looked 100 percent wrong. He's done so in many of his past "documentaries". I don't think this veteran's suit will go anywhere but it does highlight Moore's penchant for telling half-truths to highlight his opinions and he'll use whatever and whoever to do so.

Moore did nothing but play an undoctored clip of what the man had already said on a nationwide news program. IANAL, but I doubt he even has a say in who gets to play the clip, considering it's from an NBC show. I feel for him as far as what he went through, but he has no basis for this lawsuit.

Moore did nothing but play an undoctored clip of what the man had already said on a nationwide news program. IANAL, but I doubt he even has a say in who gets to play the clip, considering it's from an NBC show. I feel for him as far as what he went through, but he has no basis for this lawsuit.

Not saying it was undoctored and neither is he. What he's saying is that the clip was played after a certain remark was made against the war which in turn made it sound like he was against it. He did it several times in Bowling for Columbine especially in a specifically edited scene involving Charleton Heston and his stance as a high-ranking member of the NRA. The clip made him sound like a redneck, gun-nut, but when the full footage of the interview popped up it was quite the opposite. Moore does that well in taking clips from news, shows, etc... and editing them into a sequence that gives the clip a much different meaning if it was just ran as is without remarks and comments preceding and proceeding it.

1) I don't really think the soldier has much of a real case, he's just going to play on emotions

2) What Moore does is low, but O'Reilly, Hannity, Limbaugh and use exactly the same tactics, so lets at least acknowledge that if he deserves shit, so do a hell of a lot of other people

1) I don't really think the soldier has much of a real case, he's just going to play on emotions

2) What Moore does is low, but O'Reilly, Hannity, Limbaugh and use exactly the same tactics, so lets at least acknowledge that if he deserves shit, so do a hell of a lot of other people

Oh, I lump Moore in with the Fox News pundits. I would add Ann Coulter to that mix. She be the she-bitch of neocons everywhere and I suspect a for-real maneater.

If people really want to know what great documentary director then they should look no further than Ken Burns and Werner Herzog. no specific political demogaugery and allows the viewer to make up their mind as to how they feel about the subject matter being shown.

None of those people are crazy sensationalists that make "documentaries" that are filled with bullshit and put them in theaters all over the nation. None of those people claim to be one of the "commoners" against the fat rich white man when really they're fat, white and rich.

No, those people's views may be misguided (i.e. they're Republican), and O'Reilly may be a jerk that doesn't let people finish their sentences, but none of them are anywhere near Michael Moore on the bullshit scale. Except for maybe Ann Coulter.

None of those people are crazy sensationalists that make "documentaries" that are filled with bullshit and put them in theaters all over the nation. None of those people claim to be one of the "commoners" against the fat rich white man when really they're fat, white and rich.

No, those people's views may be misguided (i.e. they're Republican), and O'Reilly may be a jerk that doesn't let people finish their sentences, but none of them are anywhere near Michael Moore on the bullshit scale. Except for maybe Ann Coulter.

Limabugh just makes shit up, Moore at least gets facts before he distorts them. O'Reilly with his "Whose looking out for you" does claim to be fighting for the little man. Hannity cuts people off, though not as funnily as O'Reilly does.

Fighting about the honesty of political pundits is like arguing about the moral fortitude of a room full of child molesters. They're all a bunch of fucking liars, it's simply the magnitude and bias of their lies which distinguish one from another.

Michael Moore won my respect with Roger & Me, and then he lost it when he started playing the mainstream game. Bill O'Reily is so full of himself that he will soon implode upon himself in a spectacular display of reversed biology and physics. Ann Coulter is a ball-busting cunt with nothing to bring to the table besides ego. Rush Limbaugh is a self-righteous druggie. Hannity is intelligent, it's just a shame his head is stuck up his ass. I don't know the name of that guy who wears the big gaudy bowtie and interrupts people, but he can fuck right off as well. The liberal media is and always will be at odds with the conservative establishment, and Fox News does the same shit for conservatives so don't even start.

Humorously enough, I was listening to Bill O'Reilly's show today.

He claimed that the fact that his show wasn't organized at all was an advantage as it forced you to listen to his whole show. He cited this as an advantage. He then went on to say that the director of the ACLU was a sexual deviant because he supported treating sex criminals as real people.

Why pay for cable TV when the funniest shit ever is available on your AM radio?

I have no strong feelings on Michael Moore. He's a silly guy, as are all the other people mentioned in this thread. The problem is when people start taking their shit seriously.

Shouldn't this thread be in SD&D?

I'm not a fan of Michael Moore, though I think it's fairly easy to see what he does and as a result don't really care. But there isn't much basis for this lawsuit. The interview is the property of NBC I'm pretty sure.

If you take a quote out of context and slant it to portray someone as saying something they aren't, it can possibly be counted as slander.

I despise Moore. I also despise O'Reilly and Limbaugh. I don't even know who Hannity is, however.

Actually, Limbaugh does just make shit up. Doesn't even bother with skewing the evidence, he don't need no stinking evidence. xD