The Dead End of Multiculturalism

This is just sad: England afraid to fly its own flag.

Following warnings by extremist Islamic group al-Muhajiroun, in which the group said that the red cross in the England flag symbolizes the ‘blood thirsty crusaders’ and the occupation of Muslims, some of the largest companies in England have ordered their workers not to wave the flags.

The flag has recently appeared in England on everything from bikinis to cars, and sold in endless versions in stores.

But the Islamic protest forced some corporations, such as cable companies NTL, Heathrow airport in London, and even the Drivers and Vehicles Licensing Agency to ban the flag in every form due to fears from reactions of Muslims.

What kind of men have the English become that they will allow this to happen to their country?

First it was Piglet

Now its the flag

Next.....the Queen....no female head of state allowed in the Ummah.

pathetic

Fuck exremist Musilims, just, fuck them.

I am so sick and tired of hearing the same old tired phrase of "Muslim threatens to kill so and so because they did this to their religion". These people need to realize that they aren't going to get eny respect, or hell, any military help when they keep burning their bridges with other countries by pushing their retarded religion on other countries.

I would get a kick out of pissing one of those guys off personally.

I'm really fucking tired of Muslims being douchebags around the entire world.

Islamic Spain was a place of harmony among people and religions and in the past the Middle East was a place of mathematical, medical, and scientific innovation.

Now they're just being assholes.

There are still good Muslims, and it's a cool religion... BUT JESUS MOTHERFUCKING CHRIST THE EXTREMISTS ARE JUST BEING PISSY BASTARDS NOW!

Oh noes! They might kill me now for saying that.

Piggy banks, the English flag, the flags on that prostitution advertisement, women's rights in the newly established Iraq democracy...

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Listen, this problem is MASSIVELY overstated. I've seen literally hundreds of businesses displaying the flag when I was in town yesterday. Seriously dude, this is just a few paranoid businesses led by idiots. You guys really seem to have no clue on the minute scale of this. The government has no hand in this.

Also, this article cites The Sun as a source, that's almost as bad as citing Weekly World News

It may be massively overstasted (as many articles nowadays are) but the fact that some some businesses won't display their flag because they're being dictated by some extremists is ridiculous.

I think the reason the reaction isn't as minute as you think, is the mere thought of a group demanding certain outraegous things such as the ban of the nation's flag inside their borders.

If a group of Christian extremists were to, say, ban the Star-Spangled Banner because in the past the they were persecuted and singing the anthem is a way of rubbing the persecution in their faces. Then most likely there'd be quite a reaction even if the problem was massively overstated.

If you want my honest opinion, England should keep flying it's flags. If the extremeists have a problem, and take action because of this, then do one simple thing: Anihilate them. Not because they're muslims, but because they would take action agianst a government and a country for flying it's own flag.

If I ran a business here I wouldn't fly the American Flag. But that's another issue entirely.

No one's outlawed waving the flag. At this point the businesses getting rid of them are as much "dickheads" as the Muslims themselves.

Besides... It's just a fucking flag.

:mellow: :mellow: :mellow: x 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

P.s. I'll be in and out for a few days........ Having computer Keyboard problems, can't type so using copy/paste for now........ :sad:

I'll still be around.... :wink:

:mellow: :mellow: :mellow: x 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Well, when you get back I'd be genuinely interested (and I really don't want to come off as a prick here, but I also don't want to mince words) to find out when symbolism started mattering so much.

In my mind, a flag is a very simple thing; it represents our country. We put it on our tanks and stuff so they know not to shoot at each other. We put it on our stuff so people know it's ours.

People use it to conjure up the idea of the country. I.E. burning a flag. One burns a flag not to show off that they have a lighter, or that they hate cloth, or whatever, but because they are showing that they 1. want attention and 2. that they are displeased with the country, possibly to the point of wanting large scale social change.

What's weird is when people start being offended by this. It's my choice, under freedom of expression, to fly or not fly a flag, just as it's my choice, under freedom of expression to say "Eveyone who flies/doesn't fly a flag is a dickhead."

There's one person on my block who flies an American flag in his yard. He's an old senile dude who must be at least 80. He forgets to take it down and it gets left out in the rain to become moldy and wilted. Which is much, much more interesting symbolism to me. Perhaps America, the idea of patriotism is becoming moldy and wilted after being left out in the rain too long.

• 2 weeks later...

You're assuming it's even the same patriotism as it was twenty, even ten, years ago, though.

Which is disputable. It's been so often warped and twisted to fit everybody's political agendas that no two concepts of "patriotism" even match anymore. My view of patriotism, for example- dissent, discourse and as often as possible, so as to preserve the foundational concept of a dynamic representative democracy- is apparently very, very different from the GOP's point of view. Or, to summarize, "We're right, they're wrong, and if you disagree, you're backing the terrorists."

So it isn't so much that patriotism's getting old, forgotten and moldy as it is very much a highly personal abstract that gets confused as a public and concrete issue.

• 2 weeks later...

You're assuming it's even the same patriotism as it was twenty, even ten, years ago, though.

Which is disputable. It's been so often warped and twisted to fit everybody's political agendas that no two concepts of "patriotism" even match anymore. My view of patriotism, for example- dissent, discourse and as often as possible, so as to preserve the foundational concept of a dynamic representative democracy- is apparently very, very different from the GOP's point of view. Or, to summarize, "We're right, they're wrong, and if you disagree, you're backing the terrorists."

So it isn't so much that patriotism's getting old, forgotten and moldy as it is very much a highly personal abstract that gets confused as a public and concrete issue.

Much like religion, then. Carry on, knockers!

*totters off to the rum*