Enlisting~

Uwa~ So I was wondering....who here has ever thought of enlisting into the military? :O

I once thought about enlisting into the marines, but I quickly grew out of that.

But right now I'm seriously thinking of joining the navy. XD; Seriously. Apparently a recruiter is even interested in me joining or something. ....Though he's a recruiter for the marines. x3; *snerks* But yes. If I suddenly disappear for like...8 weeks. @_@ You'll know where I am at. *laughs*

Oh yes! Discuss and give advice! YAY! :D

The only ones I'd join are the Air Force or the U.S. Army. I have a brother that's a sergeant in the Army & a cousin that was in Airborne School in the Army. My brother was going through Ranger school, but couldn't finish it 'cause he had to go on an emergency deployment. But yeah. The Air Force is awesome, but if you actually want to fly a plane, you're looking at good grades since high school & college for sure. There ain't no way in hell they would let you fly without a degree. Interesting, huh? Hahaha!

The Navy is alright, but you're stuck on a boat or a submarine for a 6 months at a time. Then you start singing, "In the Navy.." Hahahhahah! ( ^o^) <3

But yeah. If I were you, I would highly recommend that you go to college first & finish that up. Then you could go into the military as an officer & do other things or you could just go on to your career that you majored in.

The only ones I'd join are the Air Force or the U.S. Army. I have a brother that's a sergeant in the Army & a cousin that was in Airborne School in the Army. My brother was going through Ranger school, but couldn't finish it 'cause he had to go on an emergency deployment. But yeah. The Air Force is awesome, but if you actually want to fly a plane, you're looking at good grades since high school & college for sure. There ain't no way in hell they would let you fly without a degree. Interesting, huh? Hahaha!

The Navy is alright, but you're stuck on a boat or a submarine for a 6 months at a time. Then you start singing, "In the Navy.." Hahahhahah! ( ^o^) <3

But yeah. If I were you, I would highly recommend that you go to college first & finish that up. Then you could go into the military as an officer & do other things or you could just go on to your career that you majored in.

Ahahahaha~ I already did that. D: I couldn't stop singing that song. XD

Well that's the problem really. I have no idea what to major in and I feel like I'm sort of wasting my time at college because I don't know what to major in. :x

GO TO COLLEGE

I AM

Still going this semester and yeah. I'm mainly going to be thinking about joining the Navy this semester and might join next year. :O

unless you really don't want to, then maybe go to Navy so you see life from a different perspective or something :D;

It would give me a different perspective. xD;; A more disciplined perspective and right now I need discipline.

Is there a scheme in America where the military pay for you to do your college degree as long as you agree to come work for them? I'm fairly sure there is in England. If possible you could that.

Yeah. :O They do that here too. They give up to a $150,000 scholarship.

Ahahahaha~ I already did that. D: I couldn't stop singing that song. XD

Well that's the problem really. I have no idea what to major in and I feel like I'm sort of wasting my time at college because I don't know what to major in. :x

Well young lady, are you good at math? Do you often wonder how things are built? Do you ever wonder about deflection, buckling, & so on? Does Castigliano's Theorem, Mohr's Circle, & related ring a bell? Ever wonder about inertia & momentum?

Do you like to look at buildings? Shear transfer? Moment? Do you ever wonder how they build a bridge? Do you wonder why they refer to a freeway a transit line on occasion? Ever wonder why you see those dudes in the middle of the street with weird device on a tripod? Ever wonder how many forces are behind a dam? Ever wonder how a roller coaster is glued to the ground & doesn't move when it's in operation, even though there are a lot of forces acting on the structure? Ever wonder how the military moves? zOMG!! They need someone to survey!!! Yeap. You'd like Structural Engineering or Civil Engineering.

Do you like racing cars? Ever wonder how they make that tiny 1.6 liter 4 cylinder motor put down up to 1,200 HP? Ever wonder how a 4 cylinder Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 can swat down a Mustang with an 8 cylinder motor? Ever wonder how a roller coaster stays on it's tracks & how it runs? Ever wonder how A/C units work? Ever wonder how they can have a crane that looks so puny, but yet can carry so many tons of load without breaking? Ever wonder how a yoyo works? How do airplanes fly? How do they get liquids to the top of a building through a pipe? How do valves work? Gears? Look at that robot walk!!! How the fuck did they make that robot stand on it's own 2 legs & walk?!! zOMG!! That's fucking insane!!!!! Ever wonder who designs that zipper in your pants or dress or bra? *Nosebleeds.* (@,@ ) You want Mechanical Engineering.

How about those MP3 players? Ever wonder how they work? Look at all those pretty lights in the theme parks! zOMG!! Laser light show!!! How'd they do that?!?! zOMG!!! That statue keeps looking at me even though I move around. WTF?!?! zOMG! This cell phone has so many features!! How the fuck did they do that? zOMG!! That roller coaster is high tech & everything is driven off of radars & sensors. zOMG! Blutooth rocks!! That's awesome!! Yeap. You want Electrical or Computer Engineering.

Yeah. There's a lot of jobs in those fields. A lot of them are starting at $50,000 a year. But yeah. It's not easy & not everyone has the mentality to do it. That's why they pay well. Plus you get to have lots of fun! ( ^o^)

I was *this* close to joining the airforce before I backed out. I was actually down in the military processing center in Los Angeles answering the medical questions right before they swear you in... And they ask all the standard questions and you're supposed to lie like a dog to every single one of them... But she asked me if I'd ever used ritalin and for some reason I couldn't lie to it. I kept thinking of them pulling up my medical records, so I told her that I had been misdiagnosed back in the day. And she told me I had to go get a doctors note or a note signed by my parents as witnesses and then come back the next day.

Later that afternoon I got a job offer to work in Los Angeles as an IT guy. (Which coincidentally was the exact reason I was going into the air force. To get IT experience.)

So I just skipped the air force step and went right into the career. And I haven't regretted it yet.

Seriously, don't join the military... Unless you really need discipline or to tell stories. Everyone I've ever met who's been in the military refers to their time there as "my big mistake" except one, and that's because he met his wife there. Other than that his time was wasted.

Whatever you do, don't join the Marines. It turns you into a giant asshole. My friend is in the Marines and he sometimes acts like a giant cock because of it. If you're going to join the military, I would recommend joining either the Air Force or the Navy so you can at least get some good real life experience and education outside of shooting at stuff.

Is there a scheme in America where the military pay for you to do your college degree as long as you agree to come work for them? I'm fairly sure there is in England. If possible you could that.

They don't always pay up. :\

It gets a lot of poor kids to join though! xD

I heard like one or two thirds of the people who sign up actually get the college money.

I wouldn't join the military. Ever. Frankly, the idea scares me.

I understand why armies exist, I've talked to an acquaintance of mine who's in the army. Really, I figure I'm very much not the person for that lifestyle and I wouldn't be very helpful in a disciplined area. I'm a tall, strong dude so I'm pretty sure I'd get sent out to combat if I ever joined (unless I joined the coast guard or whatever).

On top of that, I just don't agree with what the military does on a moral basis. I understand the need of a defense force for the country, I just don't think that right now the military is actually doing that.

Also, I've heard many, many stories about people not getting veteran's benefits or all that college money or whatever. It's very sad.

EDIT: Although I might like to join the National Guard under the right circumstances. Unfortunately they're getting called up to fight. But I'd like to help out in disasters and stuff. Which is one thing the military is great at that doesn't involve violence.

The Air Force let dad go TWO YEARS before he qualified for his pension. He got screwed, got angry, started beating us as kids nightly, and now works a dead-end job. They promised if he worked for a school, his benefits could add and he could earn that pension, but they lied again.

Not that I care. That's what he gets for hitting us. Bastard.

That is so sad! ;_;

I dunno how to say it but I hope you're all good.

This may or may not sound lame, and I don't usually reccomend a movie or a book when it comes to people asking for advice, but you might want to read Jarhead by Anthony Swofford or watch the movie based on it (if you don't like reading). It might give you some insight into what military training is like before, during, and after.

My grandfather was in the military, got hurt, was scheduled with a heart transplant like six years ago and didn't get one and died of heart failure last year.

I really think the military would be a mistake, but there are a lot of mistakes you have to make, and if this is one of those, go for it. :D You probably won't have to go die because you're a girl.