Heroic RIAA Sues Youtube Users.

Crube

http://tech.moneycontrol.com/news/riaa-sue...ers/1526/india/

It seems our friends over at the RIAA just cannot get enough. The latest BS to emerge from there are cease-and-desist letters to Youtube users who have dared to put up videos of things such as themselves dancing to music they haven’t licensed.

Clearly an insanity plea no longer covers the RIAA’s stupidity. From trying to orchestrate illegal takedowns in other countries a la The Pirate Bay to sending cease-and-desist letters to some poor user who has just recorded himself doing silly things to a song no one will even remember a week later. Youtube is all about expressing yourself in your own little corner on the net. Guess with Big Brother watching, soon even putting out harmless videos will become illegal.

What?

All I'm saying is that unless the video shows them actually downloading a song, illegally, from somewhere, then there's too much reasonable doubt in the case.

Fair Use

As the Wiki link there says, basically you can include copyrighted material in your own works under certain circumstances. People dancing to copyrighted songs probably falls under Fair Use.

I wonder how all the artists that have gotten big thanks to the internet and all the artists who make most of their money off of internet merchandise and the ability to pass news quickly via the internet feel about the RIAA.

Like Dragostea din Tei would never be played at school dances if it weren't for the fat kid dancing to it. And I doubt Matisyahu would have any following if it weren't for the internet. And pot, which is also illegal.

I wonder how all the artists that have gotten big thanks to the internet and all the artists who make most of their money off of internet merchandise and the ability to pass news quickly via the internet feel about the RIAA.

Like Dragostea din Tei would never be played at school dances if it weren't for the fat kid dancing to it. And I doubt Matisyahu would have any following if it weren't for the internet. And pot, which is also illegal.

When you realize that it costs less than a dollar to make a CD, that only a very small fraction of album sales go to bands (if any), that they make their money off merch, concerts, and royalties, and that album sales are on the incline.. you realize that record companies are nothing but greedy whores using their bands as pawns to decry downloading music and that the RIAA in itself is illegal.... Well, you get the picture.