Why is Superman considered an 'American Hero'?

Well he was raised an American. Also, in the early comics and movies he was written as a defender of truth, justice, and the American way.

EDIT: Heh, it's actually kind of funny that an American icon is actually an immigrant. I guess it's ok to be an "alien" as long as you have a firm boner for America.

Do you think America is going to tell the strongest man on the planet, a guy who can move so fast he travels backwards in time, can punch planets around, and can live inside the sun for a while, to geEeEEeeEt out? Especially if he is on their side? He's America's true weapon for the cold war. Take that you damn commies!

The only problem is that Superman constantly has to deal with his powers adjusting, becoming weaker or stronger. And he has to fight numerous incarnations of himself, alternate universe versions, clones, robots, etc. And one of those Supermen was a damn commie! (One being the comic where Superman fell to Russia instead of America, and the recent Superman/Batman series, but the Superman we know only fought the latter... Or at least Bizarro fought him, I don't recall, lay off!) And every time Superman dies, he comes back with long hair for mysterious reasons, showing that Superman can still connect to dern new age kids.

Also, America is incredibly situational. For example, it's considered wrong for other countries to torture their captives, but it's A-ok for America to do it. Also, it is usually wrong to commit a crime... Unless you're a hot shot rich guy, just like the top people of Enron were!

Course, according to the short story, "Angus"...

"HeHe. You don't understand. He's smart, handsome, even decent. But he's not brave. No, listen to me. Superman is indestructible, and you can't be brave if you're indestructible. It's people like you and your mother. People who are different, and can be crushed and know it. Yet they keep on going out there every time."

(That's actually from the film based upon the short story, but good enough)

Technically Superman's always been strong enough to move planets etc. After the Crisis it was explained that he's exhibited self-restraint and conciously lowered his powers because he was affraid he might hurt someone he was trying to rescue.

Kind of like in the "Up, Up, and Away" storyline where Clark Kent is under intense light procedures, via Dr. Light and Ray, and they explain that they are exposing his cells to abundant sunlight, but it is mysteriously as though his cells are actually resisting the absorption of the rays. Course, by part four he gets his powers back under the duress of being trailed by two low-class super-villains, but it was an interesting storyline while it lasted.

Superman is still an ass though

Yeah, I consider Superman to be pretty boring, but that's mostly due to his overly ridiculous heroic ways and nigh-omnipotence.

And he kicked Batman out of the JLA during the "Tower of Babel" storyline just because he kept tabs on the team just in case they went crazy. Granted, I can see that Superman would still be a little upset about the red kryptonite, but c'mon, it's a safety precaution.

Yeah, I consider Superman to be pretty boring, but that's mostly due to his overly ridiculous heroic ways and nigh-omnipotence.

And he kicked Batman out of the JLA during the "Tower of Babel" storyline just because he kept tabs on the team just in case they went crazy. Granted, I can see that Superman would still be a little upset about the red kryptonite, but c'mon, it's a safety precaution.

Well actually it was because Batman had detailed files on how to defeat the Justice League and some villains got their hands on them.

Well actually it was because Batman had detailed files on how to defeat the Justice League and some villains got their hands on them.

Not really. Sure, there was probably some ill will for all the suffering each member went through, but the biggest reason was because of the complete and utter lack of trust in someone who had little trust in their teammates to begin with. Heck, almost got Robin kicked out of the Teen Titans too, just because of the association he had with Batman.

umm dude.. he had liable reasons for the files ya know jus in case any of them went rogue.. Tower of Babel was excellent

Doesn't change the fact that Superman's vote was lame. He'll give Batman a ring of kryptonite, just in case he goes astray of his morals, but then he votes the guy out when he realizes he's been keeping tabs on everyone.

I consider Captain America more the American Hero but he just never got as popular as Supes.

He couldn't take out nearly as many nAzis back in WWII. Plus, Captain America isn't indestructable, like the American way is! And Superman!

crap I hate to hijack this thread with Batman talk but venom in the last issue of Outsiders...you shoulda saw what Nightwing did to Superman..haha it was very Batmanesque

Yeah, good ol' Nightwing. He's like a lesser skilled, more badass version of Batman. Like the time he was going to kill the Joker, until Batman through a batarang roundabouts his shoulder region (course that was Jason Todd, not Dick Grayson, but hey, he's posing as Nightwing now anyway, so it all works out).

But that always confuses me. Batman won't cross the line and kill his most dangerous foes, or let someone else do it, but when a bunch of villains in Arkham were on the brink of death (or at least a severe mental attack) during the "Trial by Fire" (JLA) storyline, Superman and Batman have a little discussion where Superman is kind of surprised that Batman appears pleased by, or apathetic to, the transpiring suffering.

I suppose one would run out of fan favorite villains if Batman just decided to do away with them, not like they wouldn't be retconned back anyway, because Joker is far too BA to let something like death get in his way.

But that always confuses me. Batman won't cross the line and kill his most dangerous foes, or let someone else do it, but when a bunch of villains in Arkham were on the brink of death (or at least a severe mental attack) during the "Trial by Fire" (JLA) storyline, Superman and Batman have a little discussion where Superman is kind of surprised that Batman appears pleased by, or apathetic to, the transpiring suffering.

Of course, Batman has only said and reiterated many times that he won't kill those he fights by his hands. That doesn't mean that he needs to help these same rogues if they happen to somehow catch something that threatens their lives. I always thought that was what made Batman the most complex of all the DC heroes. He was always in control and always knew every angle of a situation. If those rogues in Arkham did die then Batman wouldn't worry about it. He wasn't responsible thus keeping his pledge to never kill his opponents. Now, if what was affecting the prisoners in Arkham started affecting the general population of Gotham then Batman would act to stop it.

Superman is seen as an American Hero not just because he was brought up as an American, but the kind of upbringing he was given by the Kents. America may not look like the pristine and faultless society it once espouses, but Superman still keeps to those ideals no matter what's been going on around him. I think that's why his idealism now comes off as him being aloof towards the normal humans and even other JL colleagues. As for him holding back from letting loose, even the final episode of JLU had him mention this. Really, Superman is like The Hulk in Marvel. There's really no limit to what he can accomplish with his powers if he ever decided to cut loose.

Yeah, good ol' Nightwing. He's like a lesser skilled, more badass version of Batman. Like the time he was going to kill the Joker, until Batman through a batarang roundabouts his shoulder region (course that was Jason Todd, not Dick Grayson, but hey, he's posing as Nightwing now anyway, so it all works out).

I suppose one would run out of fan favorite villains if Batman just decided to do away with them, not like they wouldn't be retconned back anyway, because Joker is far too BA to let something like death get in his way.

My favorite line in Batman Begins more or less explains this.

I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you.

Of course, Batman has only said and reiterated many times that he won't kill those he fights by his hands. That doesn't mean that he needs to help these same rogues if they happen to somehow catch something that threatens their lives.

Except that he will, as whenever another hero/villain tries to kill another villain, he'll try his damndest to step in and prevent that.

He had the the chance to let Jason Todd do away with Joker and threw it away.

Or that other time, when he had the chance to let Hush do away with Joker and threw it away.

And while I won't exactly count it, because The Burning was pretty much trying to destroy the world, he went out and recruited Plastic Man in hopes that everyone's combined force could take The Burning down. It should be noted, however, that he had the chance to let Martian Manhunter do away with Joker (and some others) and threw it away.

I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you.

I just wish Batman would live by that mantra every now and then is all.

"Whoa! The Joker is slipping on a banana peel! And he's going to fall over that railing! Gadzooks! I gotta save him."