Render Whole Planets in Real Time

A few guys have been working on a very impressive project during their free time, "Infinity: The Quest for Earth". The game is a massively multiplayer online game set in a futuristic persistent universe. Here's the impressive part: their game engine can render entire planets in real-time.

It's best to quote Flavien Brebion, the main man behind the project: "..all the planets have realistic dimensions and scales. If you were to land on a planet and fly at low altitude at airplane speed, it'd take you hours before reaching another continent. You'd never see the same hill or some mountain twice. Then, each major planet can have tens of moons. Each solar system can have many planets, all rotating with realistic, dynamic orbits, allowing you to attend an eclipse or a sunset in real time. Finally, the galaxy will contain millions, if not billions, of these solar systems. All different."

Here's a demo video of the game, the impressive part starts at about 1:00: Video

http://selectivegamers.com/content/view/666/144/

They should sell the engine.

I'm too lazy to read the article, but if it can render from a variety of different distances (like, far out in space, then closer, then high altitude, then low altitude, and ground level) and have everything be to scale and everything, that would roxor hard.

PhysX would probably be used in this, too.

Why would he sell it? that's such an awesome thing to have! He can control the game rather than selling it to fucking Blizzard for "World of Starcraft"

He can release the game, then let it sit on the market for 6mo to a year and get people's attention, then sell the engine for a rediculous sum of money or lisence it for small + royalties.

=p

Not to mention if he lisences it, he still owns the original and can use it for himself too.

Features

(...)

Real-time fighting: most MMORPGs today use a turn-based approach to combat.

I lozl'd.

I really hope these guys look more at existing MMORPGs. Guild Wars was a success because it looked at what MMORPGs were doing 'wrong', and tried to fix those problems. If they had just made any ol MMORPG, they'd have another Lineage II on their hands. And that's bad.

It's vastly to ambitious. Anybody remember a little game called Robotech: Crystal Dreams? Same thing - reaching to far ahead of where we are today.

Not to mention I'm sure it could get annoying (though a wise developer would work around the problems presented).

"Hey guys, let's meet up on Baalderan."

"I'm a Triwk."

"A Triwk? Don't they live in the Soolarien continent? Because I'm a Hulfrom."

"ALL THE WAY FROM DELELO? That's two continents away, and one of those two continents is bigger than Asia."

"Yeah, but the other is only the size of Luxembourg. Ah god damnit, why did you become a Triwk?"

"Triwks have 1337 magic skillz!"

"Only f4gs use magic."

"You're lucky I can only afford a wagon right now, or I'd totally whomp you!"

"Oh yeah? Meet me at Sucreets in 6 weeks. I'll start walking now."

*in other news*

reporter: Sadly another Korean boy was found dead in an internet cafe. It was said Kwok Hwang, obviously Korean from the number and usage of K's, W's, and H's in his name evidently was trying to trek across continents without food or sleep for many days, where he eventually expired from ignoring obvious bodily needs, like masturbation, or more likely, food and sleep. Though apparently the females in this game are rendered so realistically that it is really hard to tell. In any case, Kwok Hwang was not kept in check, for he was questing on the most honorable way to die in Korea, via expiration in an internet cafe. His friend(s?) will always remember him as the strongest Hulfrom warrior they ever knew, a supra-leveller of sorts. God bless, or... Whatever diety these crazy Koreans worship.

*the film cuts and the reporter slips on a worn and bent pointed hat*

reporter: *voice bilateral lisping more* The fool! Triwksh can never be defeated! The rashial shenshitivity sheminar I'll be forshed to go to ish totally worth it! I am the 1337357 magic-usher in all of Shoolarien AND Delelo! Ha, Ha ha ha... HA HA HA AHHAAH!!!

Actually, they have a message board on their website. The dudes who are making the game know what a giant project they're going up against.

You see, part of the reason they can deal with such a huge universe is procedural generation. The idea of the game is that it will be an MMO where all the players are trying to find a specific planet (Earth). No one, not even the developers, know where Earth is. The entire galaxy, which is of a realistic size (in the thousands of stars) is randomly generated. That is, beyond a few starting planets, most of the galaxy is completely unexplored and therefore not actually having to be built by the game designers.

So, really, once you have the engine down... This game would likely be easier to make than, say, WoW. In terms of making content.

You see, part of the reason they can deal with such a huge universe is procedural generation. The idea of the game is that it will be an MMO where all the players are trying to find a specific planet (Earth). No one, not even the developers, know where Earth is. The entire galaxy, which is of a realistic size (in the thousands of stars) is randomly generated. That is, beyond a few starting planets, most of the galaxy is completely unexplored and

What they should do is make earth the "center" of the universe, and put the starting planets tons and tons of lightyears away. But still make the universe uncharted. That way they won't know which way to the "center".

I think the idea of a randomly generated earth is kind of dumb, because then nobody will ever know where earth is.

But the point is there will always be new stuff to do because NO ONE, not even the developers, know where Earth is. I think they're coding in something to assure that Earth won't be really close to the starting planets and that's it. The point is that it will take years, with thousands or (hopefully) millions of players searching.

The timescale is set at fifty times normal speed. And it's not like the ship speeds are realistic. You have hyperdrive thing that lets you jump from system to system instantly. According to beta testers, it takes about half an hour to fly from the center of a star system to the very edges. This is all just so you won't spend all your time flying around and you can actually do cool stuff.

I think it sounds like a great game, but it also sounds like it's not for everyone.

If they pull this game off right, it could be absolutely amazing. It reminds me of EVE, but with having each planet and moon explorable the game would be incredbly huge. EVE Online is already a giant game, but you can't actually go to planets or even walk around space stations.

I haven't really read anything about it other than what's been posted here, and the looking for Earth aspect sounds really cool. It would be really cool if they only had a few starting planets when the game launches and it's up to the players to go out and start new settlements on other planets, and as the players begin to create new habitable planets and space stations the developers would be able to populate them with NPC's, primarily for questing purposes. I also think it's really cool how combat is going to be completely real-time, where you control every move of your ship. The skill-less idea sounds intriguing, but I don't know how they'll pull it off. I really like the idea of not having to spend hours and days training skills to use a simple little item, but there needs to be some kind of restricting factor.

I haven't really read anything about it other than what's been posted here, and the looking for Earth aspect sounds really cool. It would be really cool if they only had a few starting planets when the game launches and it's up to the players to go out and start new settlements on other planets, and as the players begin to create new habitable planets and space stations the developers would be able to populate them with NPC's, primarily for questing purposes. I also think it's really cool how combat is going to be completely real-time, where you control every move of your ship. The skill-less idea sounds intriguing, but I don't know how they'll pull it off. I really like the idea of not having to spend hours and days training skills to use a simple little item, but there needs to be some kind of restricting factor.

As for the second half of that paragraph, that's pretty much how it works. As for the second half, I agree.

They could put a planet on a server, or a group of servers, and that way the planet could possibly be more easily rendered. Going from server to server would be like going from planet to planet, and when your personal data is transferred to a new server, that could be like a loading screen where you see the planet getting closer and closer.

But Wind is right, it will probably lag like anything.

They could put a planet on a server, or a group of servers, and that way the planet could possibly be more easily rendered. Going from server to server would be like going from planet to planet, and when your personal data is transferred to a new server, that could be like a loading screen where you see the planet getting closer and closer.

But Wind is right, it will probably lag like anything.

The entire game is on one server, like EVE.

You caught me, I'm totally ignorant of MMORPGs. Never played one in my life. I suppose I was more musing out loud (or in print) than actually predicting how the game would be. I suppose I should've started my previous post with "it'd be a neat idea if..."

I'm not bashing you or anything, and that could be a pretty cool idea to control lag. The only problem I see is that for Infinity it would take a metric fuckton of servers and it takes some time to switch servers, sometimes.