Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
Nega-Brent

Marvel Retcons

I hate them so damn much! ARRRGGGH!!!!!! Clones! Damn you clones! No more! No more clones! No more taking and giving powers away! Why was Ben the real Spider-Man and then not? Why is Manhatten superhuman central?! Why?! Of all the things to set people off and make them angry towards superhumans, why does the one singled out battle involve the New Warriors? Did everyone in the Marvel universe just forget about Onslaught? Apocalypse? Does Professor X just rape the minds of the world after these things happen? Why did Colossus have to come back after a heroic death? Why did Bucky have to come back? Why not bring back Uncle Ben just to further fuck with things? Why do you have to bring back Onslaught and employ Rob Liefeld?

Why can't Spider-Man just keep his classic costume, stay married to MJ, and not have mystical origins?

Why can't we be friends Marvel? Why can't we be friends?

so Spider-Man's got a supernatural origin now, eh?

Yeah, the Other story arc established that Peter has some sort of mystical connection to spiders and apparently is ahead of them on the evolutionary ladder.

Pretty stupid huh?

Not as stupid as reviving a 30 year old storyline that was finished then bringing it back and a few simple words totally fucking the Spidey-verse.

Yeah, retconning is a large portion of why I got out comics quite a bit. I still read one every now and then, but not too often. Realizing that everyone is stuck in time stasis is just disappointing and unintersting. Thus there are no real lasting conflicts, only episodic moments to be continually reset.

I think more comics need to end with, "Jean Grey (or any other character) has lost her powers/died for the [insert number] time! When will she come back to full form? See 8 months from now in the latest issue of the Uncanny X-men." But wait, don't confuse that with the regular X-men, or the New X-Men, or Astonishing X-Men, or X-Men Fables, or X-Men Academy, or Excalibur!

You can find the link up tale in the latest issues of:

Amazing Spiderman, Peter Parker*Spiderman, Sensational Spiderman, Spectacular Spiderman, and Spiderman!

But don't forget to check out Wolverine's antics in:

Civil War, Wolverine Origins, Wolverine, Avengers, The New Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, and New X-Men!

"Will Iron Man be killed? Maybe, but it'll just turn out to be one of his robots! Because Iron Man is far too profitable to kill off for realsies."

It's kind of weird too, because they are no longer characters within stories, they are more like concepts that are applied to situations with a few tweaks here or there. And because they are simply ideas, instead of characters, they aren't capable of any sort of harm. And as we already know, lack of weaknesses make for a boring stor... Wait a tick! The Bible is still very popular. No, no, none of this makes any sense.

Anyway, the most important thing to remember is that Marvel AND DC are big perpetrators of this.

Uh oh! Looks like Superman lost his powers! How'll he get out of this o- oh... He has them back again. But wait! He's just a mere mortal now! But... But now he has them back! But they're gone again! But now he has the green lantern ring! Bet he'll have some troubles no-... Nope... Still got his powers back. Hmm.

At least we know that any ol' fool can just use the Green Lantern ring right? Ah shucks, that was retconned during Green Lantern: Rebirth when it was shown that Green Arrow could barely create a simple blast with it. Thank goodness we learned that Hal Jordan actually WAS batshit insane from rage at the loss of Coast City, and not possessed by pure fear, the yellow impurity of the main battery. Huh? That's actually what happened?

Thank Spectre that Jason Todd stayed dead. What do you mean he was recently brought back in the guise of Red Hood? Ah screw this, when is Superboy coming back? Ha ha ha, suuure, he'll stay dead.

And I suppose I can understand. Imagine the loss of money or fan outroar that could occur from actually making a big change. Heck, even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle fell to the pressure.

Hal Jordan's return and the Parallax creature are considered the most well written retcons in comic book history and I agree. It was a mistake to kill him off in the first place.

Superman didn't keep the ring, he tried it on and gave it back. Also, his powers are effected by his subconcious, kryptonite, and red suns, so it's natural for writers to use those weaknesses to take his powers away sometimes, there is nothing wrong with that and they aren't retcons.

As for Jason Todd, I don't think that's such a big deal, he was actually brought back with a great deal of thought and planning as to how. Unlike what Marvel did to bring back Bucky as a cyborg anti-hero.

Superboy won't come back, at least Connor Kent won't be coming back. Robin's trying to clone, but I'm sure someone will stop him before he makes that mistake. If they do bring Superboy back it will be a new character using the name.

so in general this is just a Marvel bashing thread

and yet someone doesn't understand what a retcon is

Jason Todd was brought back with a great deal of planning..haha good one..Superman Prime was whining and messed with reality and bam.. he wakes up in his coffin..yeah thats excellent planning.

Superboy not coming back..oh ok so you know that for sure now? I mean you went and talked to Levitz and Co. and they said already that he's not coming back and then it won't be Conner but someone else, nice to know that someone on these boards are updated with the latest news.

so in general this is just a Marvel bashing thread

and yet someone doesn't understand what a retcon is

Well this is the ranting pit.

Hal Jordan's return and the Parallax creature are considered the most well written retcons in comic book history and I agree.

Yes, you consider it one of the most well written retcons, thus the statement on how it is considered one of the best written retcons. But in reality it was just another lame attempt at showing how heroes will always be incorruptable, which is ridiculous.

It was a mistake to kill him off in the first place.

No, because the best Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner, was introduced.

Superman didn't keep the ring, he tried it on and gave it back. Also, his powers are effected by his subconcious, kryptonite, and red suns, so it's natural for writers to use those weaknesses to take his powers away sometimes, there is nothing wrong with that and they aren't retcons.

Humorous that you mention how his powers are effected, considering how his powers work are retconned so many times it is hard to keep up.

As for Jason Todd, I don't think that's such a big deal, he was actually brought back with a great deal of thought and planning as to how.

That doesn't change his dead, but wait now he's alive, status that you've been complaining about.

Uh-oh fans! Jason Todd is dead! PSYCHE!

fans: Oh DC, you wacky retconner, just like Marvel. *playful punch*

Superboy won't come back, at least Connor Kent won't be coming back.

Yep, just like Jason Todd'll never come ba-... Uh...

All I'm trying to say is that retconning almost always sucks, especially when it is done to death, and DC is just as guilty as Marvel.

All I'm trying to say is that retconning almost always sucks, especially when it is done to death, and DC is just as guilty as Marvel.

this point is so dead to DC Fanboys Venom..I swear it is..and if there is a retcon DC always has the better version of it no matter what.

Electric Superman red and blue. The end.

Pwned into outer fucking space! Were writers creative enough, the best thing they could've done was keep Superman dead. I would've loved to have seen the DCU slowly turn into an apocalyptic wasteland where superheros are dwindling and overwhelmed by evil that took hold after Supes' death. A place where new, original heroes are born to replace ones that are old, battle torn, or dead (permanently). You know, a living, active, almost real-time expansive comic universe. But that would require writers that don't feel nostalgia for superheroes that never got to write for their favorite series. Ones that won't resort to retconning or make a cheap attempt to change such a gloriously planned out world by merely making it a nightmare of Superman or an alternative fucking dimension.

Yes, you consider it one of the most well written retcons, thus the statement on how it is considered one of the best written retcons. But in reality it was just another lame attempt at showing how heroes will always be incorruptable, which is ridiculous.

No, because the best Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner, was introduced.

Humorous that you mention how his powers are effected, considering how his powers work are retconned so many times it is hard to keep up.

That doesn't change his dead, but wait now he's alive, status that you've been complaining about.

Uh-oh fans! Jason Todd is dead! PSYCHE!

fans: Oh DC, you wacky retconner, just like Marvel. *playful punch*

Yep, just like Jason Todd'll never come ba-... Uh...

Hal Jordan was corrupted though. Parallax used his fear to corrupt and kill thousands. Oh, and killing off Hal Jordan was a mistake because of Kyle Rayner, he was a piss poor replacement.

As for Superman, his powers have always been fueled by the yellow sun, diminished by Kryptonite, or depleted completely by red suns. Stories featuring his powers being temporarily taken away by these or his sub-concious are not retcons.

No, I've been complaining about the way Marvel writes and handles retcons, not retcons as a whole as they are a part of comic books. I don't mind that Jason Todd is back because I feel his ressurection was well handled and well written. I hate the way Marvel handles them because they happen all too frequently and with little to no planning. Writer A kills Colossus and then Writer B brings him back because he liked him, thats how Marvel retcons work.

this point is so dead to DC Fanboys Venom..I swear it is..and if there is a retcon DC always has the better version of it no matter what.

They do because they're well planned and well written.

Electric Superman red and blue. The end.

Iron Spidey, The Other, Onslaught, Heroes Reborn.

Pwned into outer fucking space! Were writers creative enough, the best thing they could've done was keep Superman dead. I would've loved to have seen the DCU slowly turn into an apocalyptic wasteland where superheros are dwindling and overwhelmed by evil that took hold after Supes' death. A place where new, original heroes are born to replace ones that are old, battle torn, or dead (permanently). You know, a living, active, almost real-time expansive comic universe. But that would require writers that don't feel nostalgia for superheroes that never got to write for their favorite series. Ones that won't resort to retconning or make a cheap attempt to change such a gloriously planned out world by merely making it a nightmare of Superman or an alternative fucking dimension.

DC's Vertigo comics are somewhat in real-time. Constantine has aged in real-time since his debut.

Also, what you described was basically the Age of Apocalypse for DC. Replace Xavier's death with Supermans and Apocalypse with Darkseid, voila. Oh, and AoA is an alternate dimension.

DC's Vertigo comics are somewhat in real-time. Constantine has aged in real-time since his debut.

Also, what you described was basically the Age of Apocalypse for DC. Replace Xavier's death with Supermans and Apocalypse with Darkseid, voila. Oh, and AoA is an alternate dimension.

I like alot of Vertigo stuff. I will hand it to DC that while they do retcon, they don't do it with the frequency of Marvel. I can guarantee some facet about Civil War will be retconned.

I hate alternative dimensions in comics. It gives them a reason to screw with the series without screwing with the series. It's cheap.

I don't think they will retcon the Civil War stuff it will stick..and haha I see this argument is just useless when people are too one sided.

I like alot of Vertigo stuff. I will hand it to DC that while they do retcon, they don't do it with the frequency of Marvel. I can guarantee some facet about Civil War will be retconned.

I hate alternative dimensions in comics. It gives them a reason to screw with the series without screwing with the series. It's cheap.

Well thats why DC has Elseworlds, but they don't really have alternate dimensions anymore, although they do have alternate timelines in hypertime, but they rarely use it. I think the most notable use of hypertime was when Bizarro travelled through various points in history to gather all of the Supergirls in order to save Superman.

Or when Superman and Batman battled the crazed Kingdom Come Superman.

I don't think they will retcon the Civil War stuff it will stick..and haha I see this argument is just useless when people are too one sided.

When I stopped reading most of Marvel back in 1999-2000 there was practically a retcon in every other issue. The X-Men are just a series of retcons, it's as though the editors have no control over their writers and just let them change, evolve, or revert the X-Men at a moment's whim.

Though I'll admit that sometimes retcons are necessary when you have a writer that does something incredibly stupid...

Actually, I take that back... retcons are never necessary. Sane fucking editors are necessary, instead of douchebags (Quesada).

Though I'll admit that sometimes retcons are necessary when you have a writer that does something incredibly stupid...

Actually, I take that back... retcons are never necessary. Sane fucking editors are necessary, instead of douchebags (Quesada).

Good writers make mistakes, some things sound better in the planning stages than they do in the final result. Don't get me started with Quesada, he just enjoys turning everything upside down only to retcon it later on. I look forward to seeing how they will inevitably retcon Spider-Man's public unmasking.

Good writers make mistakes, some things sound better in the planning stages than they do in the final result. Don't get me started with Quesada, he just enjoys turning everything upside down only to retcon it later on. I look forward to seeing how they will inevitably retcon Spider-Man's public unmasking.

Yeah. Any writer can make a mistake, but as long as you have a good chief editor to catch the problem before the book goes into print, it's alright. Unfortunately, Marvel doesn't have that in Quesada. I missed going to HeroesCon a few days ago and kicking him in the teeth.

So basically this is a thread to jerk off to DC. Awesome. And I'm sorry but with the exception to Batman, there is not one decent hero in the DC universe with a cool rogue's gallery.

So basically this is a thread to jerk off to DC. Awesome. And I'm sorry but with the exception to Batman, there is not one decent hero in the DC universe with a cool rogue's gallery.

Superman and Hal Jordan. And the only Marvel character with a rogue's gallery to speak of is Spider-Man.