Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha Vs. the Soulless Army

Akito

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, because the video game industry sucks and all the good games have to come out around the same time (leaving long gaming droughts during other parts of the year), it's pretty easy to forget about this game and play Abyss instead. But come on guys, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try!

Okay, here are my first impressions for those that are curious. So far, I only have about five hours in the game.

Facts:

*The game uses pre-rendered backgrounds as opposed to true 3D environments. This gives it sort of a Resident Evil look. Because of this, towns are much more detailed than the towns in the previous SMT games.

*While still maintaining a serious storyline, the overall atmosphere is pretty light-hearted most of the time.

*So far, the dungeons I've explored have been surprisingly short by Shin Megami Tensei standards.

*There are random battles everywhere except on the overworld.

*Most of the gameplay has you doing detective work such as searching for evidence and questioning people. Your demons have abilities (such as mind-reading) to aid you.

Opinions:

*The battle system may have a few small annoyances (the fixed camera can make things a little confusing), but overall it works pretty well.

*The high random encounter rate can get annoying at times, but it's not too big of a problem since battles end pretty quickly. However, if the enemies get harder, it could start getting quite irritating.

*The soundtrack is pretty awesome.

*The main character's outfit is pretty badass. And apparently, that's what Japanese school boys actually wore during that era. Too bad our uniforms couldn't be that cool.