Playstation 3 Games to Cost Around $60-$100

J-Stop

PS3 Games Not Necessarily $59.99

Sony says higher price points are possible.

by Patrick Klepek, 06/28/2006

120 of 134 users recommend this story.

People were understandably upset when companies decided next-generation meant charging everyone $10 more for their games -- especially when the price was applied to last-generation ports like GUN and Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. Nonetheless, most have sucked it up at this point, but no one anticipated Sony would actually up the ante when PlayStation 3 dropped in November.

Yet SCEA president Kaz Hirai isn't promising a $59.99 price tag for PS3 games this fall. In an interview with PSM, the Sony leader explained. So, what I can say now is, I think it would be a bit of a stretch to think that we could suddenly turn around and say "PS3 games now $99.99" I don't think the consumers expect the software pricing to suddenly be double," he told the magazine. "So, if it becomes a bit higher than fifty-nine bucks don't ding me, but, again, as I said, I don't expect it to be a hundred bucks."

In other words, consumers should expect PS3 games to cost somewhere between $59.99 and $99.99. He doesn't expect them to be a hundred dollars, but it's only a "stretch" to expect it. Have we moved back to the cartridge ages here? Wasn't disc-based media supposed to make everything cheaper? I don't want to remember how much my parent's paid for several of Square's older SNES releases during Christmas.

Sony's cocky enough to price their hardware above the competition, but we don't seriously expect them to change consumer expectations for software prices. We hope.

Sauce: 1up/PSM

I don't believe it. No one is dumb enough to sell console software for over $60.

Even Guitar Hero, which comes with the $40 controller is pushing it at $80 in terms of peoples tolerance.

Third party companies can charge whatever they want. Capcom, Square-Enix, and dozens of companies from the Atari era sold stuff over $60.

Since this is coming from Hirai, he probably already has the figure in his head. Coming out to and interview that your games might cost $80 or so, won't sell many people on the PS3, and turn off those who were debating buying one in the first place.

This is, afterall, the same company who thinks selling their consoule at $600 is too cheap.

Considering what they put into it, the new technology and such, perhaps it is.

However, putting blueray in may be a mistake. But those who want Blueray and a PS3 are not gonna even think twice about it.

From what I've heard their new technology is broken and basically just makes development a pain in the arse end.

Look at the positives, in 3-4 years those of us with a Wii or 360 will have a vast selection of PS3 ports.

I don't think the PS3 will fail. The Launch may not be great... but hell look a tthe freaks who payed $1500+ for an Xbox360 on ebay. The thing has no games! PS3 we know will have Final Fantasy (and for those of us who care WARHAWK) Killzone will be a big hit too.

My guess is that at launch it'll sell out, but it won't hit big for about a year after launch when it shows has a far better list of games than the 360.

The Wii will probably win the game battle... but Sony will take second.

I don't plan on getting it on launch (maybe) but I will get one. Because I know that Sony likes to fuck me. They don't hide it like Microsoft. Microsoft says "here buy a core 360, it's just as good." In the end you spend more money even if it LOOKS like you are getting a console that can play games.

Sony says "Buy this! You know you're getting fucked! But look! Final Fantasy!" And we say "Ok, I'll take it up the ass for Final Fantasy."

Then there are the people that after I tried to convince them at work that it's going to be horrible, and the prices for everything they still say and I quote: "I don't care if it's 1000 I will buy it cause it's Sony." I wanted to fucking rip out that woman's god damn reproductive organs and not sexually, I want her to fucking die.

So, am I the only one who remembers the fucking ridiculous pricing of SNES games from back in the day? $60-90 was THE NORM. Not that I'm advocating those prices, but this shit isn't anything new.

Yeah, but back then there were less "must have" games. Most people, besides the hardcore gamers (Which at the time was a much smaller crowd) got 2-3 games A YEAR. A lot of people now get 2-3 games a month.

Sony is acting like its gone into a potent stash of Yukon Gold because they're relying on brand recognition and people who will live and die with all things Playstation. Even the one game that impressed many at this year's E3 --- Assassin's Creed --- may not be as exclusive for the Ps3 as people thought it may be. There's already talk that will be multiplatform and all that was shown at E3 can be easily duplicated on the 360. If Square-Enix ever decides to make future FF and DQ games multiplatform then Sony's few advantages over the 360 will go away.

Sony is acting like its gone into a potent stash of Yukon Gold because they're relying on brand recognition and people who will live and die with all things Playstation. Even the one game that impressed many at this year's E3 --- Assassin's Creed --- may not be as exclusive for the Ps3 as people thought it may be. There's already talk that will be multiplatform and all that was shown at E3 can be easily duplicated on the 360. If Square-Enix ever decides to make future FF and DQ games multiplatform then Sony's few advantages over the 360 will go away.

Funny thing is, Ubisoft released details about Assassin's Creed in an interview about a week before E3. They stated it would be coming out for both Xbox 360 and PS3. For some unknown reason most game sites never posted up on it. Perhaps it was due to the shuffle in the midst of E3. After all, Ubi was saving the trailer for E3, so there was really nothing to get hyped about.

Ubisoft has always been mulit-console whores, take the Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia series for example. Even Double Agent will be released for every console next year, sans handhelds.

Even if Sony fans don't want to admit it, Sony is losing a lot of exclusives. Even Hideo Kojima admitted in an interview recently that he would like to just drop MGS4 all together and build something new, and he is looking foward to developing something for the 360.

Square-Enix is also supporting the 360, as well. Same goes for Namco-Bandai, Konami, and Capcom.

Then there are the people that after I tried to convince them at work that it's going to be horrible, and the prices for everything they still say and I quote: "I don't care if it's 1000 I will buy it cause it's Sony." I wanted to fucking rip out that woman's god damn reproductive organs and not sexually, I want her to fucking die.

Ummm

Who cares it's there money?!

You know, sony how has given us 12 years of solid gaming experience?!

Why not trust them?

I don't think the PS3 will fail. The Launch may not be great... but hell look a tthe freaks who payed $1500+ for an Xbox360 on ebay. The thing has no games! PS3 we know will have Final Fantasy (and for those of us who care WARHAWK) Killzone will be a big hit too.

My guess is that at launch it'll sell out, but it won't hit big for about a year after launch when it shows has a far better list of games than the 360.

The Wii will probably win the game battle... but Sony will take second.

I don't plan on getting it on launch (maybe) but I will get one. Because I know that Sony likes to fuck me. They don't hide it like Microsoft. Microsoft says "here buy a core 360, it's just as good." In the end you spend more money even if it LOOKS like you are getting a console that can play games.

Sony says "Buy this! You know you're getting fucked! But look! Final Fantasy!" And we say "Ok, I'll take it up the ass for Final Fantasy."

wait, how on earth has Sony said that they're fucking us over?

All I've seen are excuse after excuse after excuse

Anyone dumb enough to pay $600 bucks for a system AND that much for games needs to have their head examined! I'm Wii all the way. It's cheaper, innovative AND You get all the cool old games they have on the Wi-Fi connection thing (providing I can get over to my friends house)! I can't wait to have a REASON to shake my fist at games!

I just can't picture PS3 being a huge success. It's like Sony doesn't even want to be a part of the console gaming industry and they are just using their dominance in that market as a way to promote BluRay. PlayStation 2 had the best of both worlds by offering games that attract both the Gamecube and Xbox fanbase. But PS3 is looking to be nothing more than the expensive alternative to the Xbox 360.