Pirates of the Caribbean 2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I looked at Rottentomatoes, the general consensus was that the movie is too long and that Depp wasn't as loveable and whacky.

yeah rottentomatoes has it a pretty mediocre score right now but I was still curious

Let's face it, Depp was the only reason anyone loved the original. If you took him out, that movie would have sucked.

yea keria knightely is pretty hot and all but theres no way she could have carried the film, I think of johny depp to pirates as harrison ford is to star wars, without that comical relief type cast the movies wouldnt be the same.

Let's face it, Depp was the only reason anyone loved the original. If you took him out, that movie would have sucked.

yea pretty much. Depp was the man in that one. i am planning on seeing the second, but i am kinda lazy and don't want to move.

I just got back from seeing it, and it's deifnitely worth seeing, but nowhere near the first one. I liked how the original tied up all loose ends at the end of the movie but this one leaves a chunk for the third movie, which is a little irritating, but I guess they wanted to ensure people go see the third one.

And I loved the ending. The cliffhanger was kinda cool and I had to pee really badly.

Oh gawd~ I know what you mean. xD But I had to go at the beginning of the movie and there was no WAY that I was gonna miss any of the movie and once it started....I totally forgot that I had to go.

:D I loved it. ....And no, not just for Depp. Gawddamn you all. It was great and the MONKEY! XD YES! Look! An undead monkey! *BANG* XD;; Sorry. Sorry~

I saw it earlier, and I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first one. The first one had a certain charm to it, that this one seemed to lack... It felt less piratey to me, but still good nonetheless.

I was a bit confused about the undead monkey. Why was he still undead? I thought the curse wasn't broken until all the pieces were returned in addition to the blood of those who took it, but the monkey still carries the curse yet no one else does.

If there is one problem with this movie, it's that there is TOO much suspense. Humorously, that is the gripe of most critics that have railed against it. Suspense in a movie is always good, except when it is over-fucking-used to the point where you're kind of angry, but more so annoyed and you start to not care anymore. That and you know it is made by Disney, not to mention part of a trilogy, so the odds of things turning out darkly are pretty slim, which further weakens the constant flurry of suspense. Oh and the cliffhanger, I expected it, the movie was going on far too long with no conclusion in sight to not have one. But one of my friends was so outraged at the conclusion of the film, rightly so, what with at least 4 open plot lines left hanging, but I figure we'll all move on easily enough and wait. Humorously, that same friend ran out and purchased the game based on the movie for the PSP.

Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed the film, despite the boring amount of suspense used, and the feeling like the movie would never end, and in a way it technically didn't. It was visually beautiful, and the scene of Jack Sparrow vs. Kraken was so grand with camera effects and shots that I wanted a poster of that portion of the movie. And before it got to the point where you just went, "I get it! You're prolonging the moment to drag me in, I DON'T FRICKIN' CARE!" it was actually quite intriguing.

I also enjoyed the numerous ties to the previous movie. The undead monkey for example. I'm surprised so many people questioned it (that I had heard from anyway). Apparently not that many people sit through the credits, because in the first film it ends with the monkey stealing himself a piece of gold. Now that I think about it, according to a poll I took for my own personal information acquiration, only 5-10% of people actually do sit through credits. That's understandable I guess.

Or the same joke with the prisoners trying to get something closer to them, only this time it was the girl instead of the dog.

It was interestingly action-packed. In such a way that there were so many things going on at one time that it was like a maze of intensity. Even when you ignored the various flaws of thought amongst characters. For example, the heart of Davy Jones. Just let Sparrow have it, and because he would then control Davy Jones, force him to release Bootstrap Bill. Simple as that. Heck, even Keira could have done something instead of sitting around like a useless female character.

I also like the Rear Window-esque moment where Davy Jones teleports to the Black Pearl. Probably wasn't inspired by the movie, but I like to think it was.

There were also numerous confusing moments that weren't well explained that we were just supposed to go with, but that is somewhat of a minor gripe.

But I thought it had a nice mix of various movie genre elements, making it a relatively well produced movie. Comedy, action, romance, etc. etc. It just seemed like the script needed more polishing before the movie started filming, but I suppose that will all be made up for in the second film, things coming together and all.

I really want to give this movie 4/4 on the Venom scale, for I'm certain this is the blockbuster hit of the summer, but alas, because it is essentially half a movie packed with eye candy, I'm forced to give Pirates of the Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest...

3/4

Those who care to know, after the credits of this film, it just shows the dog left behind on the island sitting in the throne of the god, wearing a headdress and chewing on a bone.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Didn't they kill him in the first one? I distinctly remember him getting shot in the chest with a flintlock pistol at near point blank range.

Is that Laurel and Hardy on the spoiler tags? Way out West to be more precise.

Edited by Norman Rockwell Belial

Didn't they kill him in the first one? I distinctly remember him getting shot in the chest with a flintlock pistol at near point blank range.

Is that Laurel and Hardy on the spoiler tags? Way out West to be more precise.

yeah but in the the 3rd one they will probably explain how he came back[/spolier]