Accelerated Evolution

Buying a new guitar...need input...please help me.

The Masterplan

Hello. I haven't posted in a few months, so you might not remember me, but whatever.

Sorry, I understand this same topic has come up with different people in the past, so please bear with me.

I currently have an Ibanez RG350DX [it's been so long since I changed my sig that there's a picture of it just in case you don't know it off hand or don't feel like going to look for it.] with a Marshall MG30DFX [also in sig] and a BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone stompbox [not in sig]. And though I love my RG dearly, I'd like to get a second guitar. I can' decide what the hell I want. I have made an effort to get out to my local music stores and fuck around with some, but with work and all, I've been too tired to walk through a door, sit upright and play something in a store. I like my RG for lead and other solo-esque stuff, but for rythm it's not so grand. Maybe it's because I never got around to replacing the stock pickups, but I've been told it's because of the basswood it's made of. I'm no guitar whiz by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't really know what kind of wood I should be looking for and what not, but I play mostly rock/metal. I've been leaning more towards ESPs or Jacksons. I hear they're essentially the same, but I hear pros and cons and I'm not sure what to believe cause as I've said, even though I haven't been out in a while, last time I checked ESPs at the shops were slim pickins and the Jacksons werent much better [selection-wise]. I've only been playing a little longer than a year, so I don't know if that piece of information helps or not.

The only preferences I would have are that I would like to stay away from floating tremelos [as my RG has] because since I'm such a noob, I don't like messing with them so much. And that it have 24 frets. So many questions and things to think about, I just need some good input.

Thanks guys

-KC

heep that RG man, looks nice, and RG's play like a champ. Get New pickups and new strings, get a cleaning kit to. and if you dont have one, get a Boss Metalzone pedal, those are fucking crazy

I would only go with a jackson if you have more than 600 dollars to spend

EDIT: Shit, i didnt know you already had a Metalzone

if your not dead set on getting a Esp or Jackson check out some Schecters as alot of their guitars are very metal and great for heavy rhythm.

As for a good wood for heavy rhythem stuff, look at guitars that have either Mahogany or Alder body if you check out mahagony wood guitars make sure you get one with a maple neck or they can get a bit muddy unless they have bright pickups.

Here is a pic of my Schecter before i changed the pickups.

shecter13id.jpg

if your not dead set on getting a Esp or Jackson check out some Schecters as alot of their guitars are very metal and great for heavy rhythm.

As for a good wood for heavy rhythem stuff, look at guitars that have either Mahogany or Alder body if you check out mahagony wood guitars make sure you get one with a maple neck or they can get a bit muddy unless they have bright pickups.

Here is a pic of my Schecter before i changed the pickups.

shecter13id.jpg

first off Ill say that ESP and JAckson are pretty much the same give or take a few things, but both guitars I would never, ever, ever use for rhythm, in my opinion they are strictly lead guitars meant for shredding. But Shecters as chrono mentioned are amazing, they range from metal to rock to anything you want and have a great playability in terms of genre and lead/rhythm also if you can afford it PRS makes some of the best guitars I've ever played and can be used for anything but sound great for metal (PRS is greatly played by porcupine tree, if you like that type of metal)

I own a Fender Jazzmaster, a customized PRS, a Gibson Les Paul, and a Strat with dave gilmour emgs. Out of all of them I'd say the PRS has the heaviest sound, though the gibson comes close. Guitars are something that have more depth then most realize, searching around and playing various brands is essential to finding the feel and sound you like best.

So for Metal/Rock I would stay away from

Fenders, unless you want that treble twangy metal sound that is often used by people like Devin Townsend/ smashing pumpkins etc.

if I were you I'd really look into some shecter and prs, gibsons have more of that classic sound thats less metal driven.

If i could get any guitar i would probably get that steve Vai Jem.

If you want chuggy low end though, get try to get a shecter Diamond series 7-string.

However, im a drummer. my opinions on guitars are only what i have briefly played or the prefrence of my guitarist friends.

By The way themasterplan, in your sig, is that a stencil you made. If so, Nice Job.

I'm looking into the Schecter and PRS. One of my friends mentioned B.C. Rich guitars, do you have any experience with them? Their crazy shapes make them look terribly uncomfortable.

edit: The PRS is confusing [sorry to be vague]. But I'm really liking the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, but it's gonn acost me out my ass. [$500-600]

@Rocking...steady: It's not a stencil, it's a duplication of a panel from the Hellsing manga [volume 3, elevator action.] done in charcoal. Check it out [it's a side by side comparison]

I would've just put it up but the pic is huge. [that way it very aparent]

I'm looking into the Schecter and PRS. One of my friends mentioned B.C. Rich guitars, do you have any experience with them? Their crazy shapes make them look terribly uncomfortable.

edit: The PRS is confusing [sorry to be vague]. But I'm really liking the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, but it's gonn acost me out my ass. [$500-600]

@Rocking...steady: It's not a stencil, it's a duplication of a panel from the Hellsing manga [volume 3, elevator action.] done in charcoal. Check it out [it's a side by side comparison]

I would've just put it up but the pic is huge. [that way it very aparent]

never buy a BC rich. Like they've been around for a while but never have they played well, they are uncomfortable, bad craftsmenship for most the models and are so far inferior to other metal guitars (jackson, ESP). Anyways sheceters are great as I've said a bunch of times, keep testing those guitars out.

never buy a BC rich. Like they've been around for a while but never have they played well, they are uncomfortable, bad craftsmenship for most the models and are so far inferior to other metal guitars (jackson, ESP). Anyways sheceters are great as I've said a bunch of times, keep testing those guitars out.

I will. I'm not working this weekend so I'll be heading out to Russo's and/or House of Music and play me some guitar and hopefully find what I'm looking for. Thanks for the information, all of you. [Especially cip] But if you all still have more, I'm very open to it.

The only decent BC Rich guitar is the Mockingbird. Other than that, listen to Cip and stay the fuck away from them. My first electric guitar was a Warlock and that thing is shit. It's okay for being a beginer guitar, but not something someone who is looking into upgrading equipment should buy. The shapes are cool, but there's no substance.

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought of this. If you want a great guitar that won't break your bank account then check out some Agiles the only problem with them is that you can only buy them online. so if you don't like it you are stuck with it, but they are very good guitars especially for the price.

Great idea, I totally forgot to reccomend those, I've played the agile stratocaster and the les paul, and the les paul blows the epiphone les paul out of the water, the strat has great tone though it may need a neck replacement, the agile necks seem to feel unfinished and dont have the greatest fretting job, but they are unbelievable guitars for the price, they are almost too good to be true.

www.rondomusic.com is the website

also to what foldered said about the big muff, the big muff does have a great tone for distortion but if you have the opportunity to, buy the russian big muff versus the american because there is a little difference and the russian model is better.

If i could get any guitar i would probably get that steve Vai Jem.

If you want chuggy low end though, get try to get a shecter Diamond series 7-string.

However, im a drummer. my opinions on guitars are only what i have briefly played or the prefrence of my guitarist friends.

By The way themasterplan, in your sig, is that a stencil you made. If so, Nice Job.

They do make a 7 string vai, fatass. Shecters are nice though.

That's what I've heard, but I still bought an american one. The russian one is hardly a BIG muff at all, and I wanted the massive stomp box. :ninja:

werd I have the russian model and I found it has that more like 60s-70s chainsaw-y treble distortion, it sounds like it has more highs and mids then it does lows, but for distortion I just use a boss DS-2 overdrive cause it has a great range.

• 3 weeks later...