World War Three

“Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it.”

Something bad is happening in Asia. North Korea is trying to provoke Japan, South Korea, America, and pretty much everyone else in the world with missile tests and fightin’ words. Japan is mulling a pre-emptive strike. Taiwan is now planning a ballistic missile test, and according to Chungshan Institute of Science and Technology, it has a range of 600 miles and accurate to half a meter. India tested a long range, nuclear-capable missile the other day. And today, there was a series of train bombings in Mumbai, India, killing nearly 150 at last count.

America has pledged it’s support for Taiwan, if fighting breaks out with China. We clearly would defend Japan and South Korea if they were attacked. India and Pakistan are both allies, but if it came down to choosing one or the other, we would likely side with India. North Korea is a dangerous enemy, and seems to be itching for a fight. We have economic interests with China, and vice versa, but who knows what either of us would do in a time of extreme tension and hostility.

Prior to World War I, there were arms races, alliances, and war that was certainly going to happen. However, it was supposed to just be a relatively minor war between Austria-Hungary and Serbia. But The Allies and Central Powers pledged their support to their respective sides, and a localized war ended up encompassing the entire globe, or at least the resources of it. Did it need to be this way? The Treaty of Versailles claimed it was all Germany’s fault. I fault ego and arrogance on all sides.

So here we are, a century after the arms buildup to WWI, and what do we see? An arms buildup in Asia, and everyone already declaring their support. Only this time, it’s involving many more countries, many more people, and weapons many times more destructive. We also see wars that are almost certain to happen. Taiwan and China. India and Pakistan. North Korea and South Korea and Japan. None of us are naïve to think any one of these conflicts would just involve those parties. America, Europe and others have declared their support, so if fighting were to break out, it’s certain WWIII would ensue. And if any one of these conflicts started, it wouldn’t take much for these other fights to begin.

It seems like a pretty bleak outlook. People have been saying there would be a war between America and China which would decide who the next superpower would be. What we’re witnessing now could be the beginning of such conflict.

Should we be doomed to have massive wars every 100 years, though? Can’t we use our heads and prevent it? Is Taiwan worth causing a war? Is Kashmir? Are nuclear weapons and far-reaching missiles worth it? Is ego worth it?

North Korea should spend its money on feeding the millions of starving citizens. India should continue to nurture its growing technology industry. Pakistan should work at democratization, and become a model not only for the Muslim world, but the entire world. China should realize it’s can’t continue on its path of oppression and restriction, and work on a positive and cooperative relationship with America. Who says we have to fight to be superpowers? Both our countries, and the world, would benefit from our working together. Friendly competition reaps better results than a hostile rivalry.

I’m not some peacenik crying out ‘Why can’t we all just get along?’ I’m saying that it is in nobody’s interest to start this war.

Interesting read and makes alot of sense. - Thoughts?

http://www.shoutwire.com/comments/19428/World_War_Three

Anyway, howabout we actually discuss this article since it means war is probrably going to happen during my youth, therefore probrably forcing me into the military.

I'd ofcourse suppose the side America is on because all of the good allies will also be there like the UK and Japan. - and I love how nobody really paid attention to how strong all the small "Meaningless" countries got, and how we all ignored red china.

Anyway, howabout we actually discuss this article since it means war is probrably going to happen during my youth, therefore probrably forcing me into the military.

I'd ofcourse suppose the side America is on because all of the good allies will also be there like the UK and Japan. - and I love how nobody really paid attention to how strong all the small "Meaningless" countries got, and how we all ignored red china.

I guess Iraq and Afghanistan are just "police actions" eh?

There won't be another "World War" in the sense that we have in 1914 and 1938. That type of war is outdated. What will end up happening, if these nations continue on the path they are on, is war much like we have seen over the last few years.

Quick, contained, and effective tactics that will bring any nations government down fast.

In the case of North Korea it'll take more than twice the man power and money that it took in Iraq, with five times as many casualties. But this is the future that we have set out before us. There will not be a World War in our time... there may be an asian war, one what will envolve the whole world. Not the same. A world war must be fought on every corner of the planet, as World War two was.

Asia is a hot bed, China is the only nation which can create a good offencive against the united states. They will not risk war with us, or they're ecconomic structure will just... disapear and the people will fall into poverty.

We won't see World War III, definitely. We could, and probably will see, the Cold War style of warfare continue on for years. The proxy wars against terrorism are only starting. A full-scale war is erupting between Israel and Lebanon. We won't see Europe go into warfare anytime soon, except as a somewhat unified force supporting U.S. action. And not to sound mean, but nobody cares about Africa. There is nothing of interest there, and besides the water and food (the oil of the 21st century) wars going on all over the continent, very little full-scale conflict. No western power will get involved in Africa since there is nothing there for the powers to take out of a war. Especially as long as there is the Middle East continuing to exist.

I think WWIII is a possibility, but its going to take some major shit in fan action to bring it to bear. I mean, who would have seen Germany and Japan as allies before WWII? Like wise, while states such as Iran, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, and China currently have little or no grounds for an alliance, they might just adopt an "the enemy of my enemy is my ally" if the US continues to push people around. Also, if enough relatively minor conflicts continue to escalate (Pakistan vs. India, N. Korea vs. Japan, Israel vs. Everyone) I think its possible that they may build to the point where they may inadvertently converge into one much greater war.

Anybody who thinks moving to Canada's a viable option in case of a draft is utterly ignorant of our relationship with our northern neighbor. It is viable and legal, should a draft be instated, for the United States government to track down and arrest deserters- and Canada will help. The only safe refuge are places like Venezuela, Cuba, ect- and that's not exactly all that great of an option either, given the reputation of those nations.

That's wishful thinking. Support for a draft is pretty much directly proportional to the hysteria of the public. If WWIII does truly erupt, and ICBMs do start flying, the entire west coast plus Alaska plus Hawaii'll demand that we Do Something, Anything, About It. Given the population density of California alone, that should probably prove enough to give the idea of a draft a much-needed kickstart.

Maybe in some parts. Most of the west opposed the draft when the imminent threat of a Soviet nuclear strike was being advertised by the government. Many will oppose the draft even in the midst of war, this is the left coast we're talking about. And the same goes for the northeast. Who outside of some, didn't really gain a sense of "we need to fight these terrorists at all costs" after 9/11.