Accelerated Evolution

Concerts and/or Shows

Suga Babe

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starscape was pretty awesome, I didn't really get to see all the acts I wanted to due to scheduling conflicts as well as needing to walk around the party looking for some, you know, shit. But it went pretty great nonetheless. However, RJD2 has opened a can of suck on his music lately, and it shows. His latest album was weak and his performance was an incredibly boring hour only redeemed by the fact I smoked a blunt with some kid named Nate.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh SHIT!!!! Streetlight manifesto, against all authority, and reel big fish are coming to grand rapids, but more importantly...

STREELIGHT MANIFESTO

then two weeks later

PIG FUCKING DESTROYER

Finally, my favorite bands are playing michigan shows that are close.

Wow. Just wow. Greatest 4 days of my life? I think so. Bonnaroo is everything I expect and then more. Great music, great people, and great substances. Too bad the weather was either 100 degrees or 40 degrees (In Tennessee? I know, it makes no sense). Anyway, here's a brief review of every band I saw.

THURSDAY

Sam Roberts Band - Some average music. Was good for a warm up to the rest of the fest.

The National - See above.

Tea Leaf Green - Somewhat mindblowing, what I saw. I was burnt out from a day on the road and then a day in the heat and left to go to sleep.

FRIDAY

Cold War Kids - Had to wait in an epic line to get into Centeroo and missed 3/4 of their set. Good thing they saved the best 1/4 for the end.

Brazilian Girls - That's RIGHT. Good stuff.

Kings of Leon - First band on the main stage. They put on a great performance despite their blatant euphoria of playing on the main stage at a massive festival in their home state.

The Nightwatchman - "Sometimes the converted need a kick in the ass" was his line to his critics who say he's preaching to the converted. He is more than right. A good show for the 20 minutes I was able to see.

The Roots - Beyond awesome. Extended jam sessions and everything.

Tool - HOLY SHIT. Much more than I expected. The first hour was just a generic play our music concert. But the last hour they went into a deep psychedelic laser show complete with extended jamming sessions and everything. Super hard to explain, and apparently unlike any Tool performance ever.

Aesop Rock - I'll be honest, I was baked as FUCK for this. Don't remember enough.

STS9 - These guys are the shit, check them out. All of you.

DJ Shadow - It's definitely true that he's lost what he used to have. He could've done so much, but instead he just played stuff from his albums and no more.

SATURDAY

Regina Spektor - She's a lot of fun to watch and listen to. Really talented as well.

Gogol Bordello - Eastern European folk music + Punk Rock = Ultimate win. Great fun, the bit that I did see.

Ziggy Marley - Goes without saying.

Damien Rice - Fell asleep thanks to being burnt out, but what I heard was quality stuff.

Ben Harper - He was joined on stage by John Paul Jones who played "Dazed & Confused" with him. One of the festival's highlights.

The Police - Sting addressed us as "80,000 Tennesseeans" which has already gone down in legend. They did nothing special and there was blatant tension on stage between the band members with Sting's ego trying to overshadow the talent of Andy and Stewart. It was good to see them live, but I would've liked if they took their songs and extended them with long jamming sessions. That's what everyone would've preferred. They stopped after an hour and there was a flood of people out of the main stage who didn't even care about an encore (They played "Roxanne", "Synchronicity II", and "Message in a Bottle" so what incentive did we have to stay?). My friends and I left at this time to see...

The Flaming Lips - BEST LIVE SHOW EVER. We got there 2 hours early to be guaranted a moderately close spot, and we got just that. I could go on and on about how amazing they are, but I won't. Just go and see them live, it will exceed any expectations.

Sasha & John Digweed - Epic rave that went into sunrise, I didn't stay long. Just got a quick Trance fix.

SUNDAY

The Decemberists - They're a great live band, lots of energy.

Wilco - Didn't do as much as they could've unfortunately.

Feist - I really enjoyed them, I need to explore them further.

The White Stripes - Jack and Meg gave a great send-off for me.

Widespread Panic - I've never been a big fan and this didn't change my mind. I fell asleep in the middle of their set too. We left early to sleep so we had a good rest before leaving in the morning.

Well, that's it. I need to go to more festivals, since as a wise man said "Take enough drugs and everyone sounds like The Beatles."

I'M A PUSSY

Fucking sigg'd

the only northern CA Summer Slaughter tour date is in Sacto. TAKE THAT BAY AREA :headbang:

i bet that i'll miss Decapitated again somehow :awesome:

Tim, it's not like it's a long drive to get to Sacto from anywhere in CA, 8, maybe 9 hours tops =/

I mean shit, I went to a concert in LA last year and I'm in the fucking north bay, only 8 hour drive, not that long

Anywho, it's official that I am going to see...

RUSH

In august.

<3

i always bring earplugs to shows in case the shit's unbearably loud. doesn't happen too often

Tim, it's not like it's a long drive to get to Sacto from anywhere in CA, 8, maybe 9 hours tops =/

I mean shit, I went to a concert in LA last year and I'm in the fucking north bay, only 8 hour drive, not that long

once you start driving yourself around you'll realize how important it is for shows to actually be in your area. know how much it costs to get to the bay from Sacto? at least $30 in gas and bridge tolls

using Amtrak won't save you much $$$ either, besides the actual cost of owning a car

**and what the shit, you think people just have 8 hours (16 round trip) laying around to go see a show? fucking fantasy world. i'm in fucking disbelief here that you posted that. christ, kid

I drove 12 hours to go to Bonnaroo. But that was a 4-day festival. It was worth driving.

I'd go to D.C. or Philly if the show is worth it, or when I'm in Philly I'd go to Bmore or NYC. But usually I stick to the city I'm in. Plus, I'd rather not have a long drive since I'm usually not in tip-top driving shape!

I drove 12 hours to go to Bonnaroo. But that was a 4-day festival. It was worth driving.

I'd go to D.C. or Philly if the show is worth it, or when I'm in Philly I'd go to Bmore or NYC. But usually I stick to the city I'm in. Plus, I'd rather not have a long drive since I'm usually not in tip-top driving shape!

if you go to see Zeppelin, can you pick me up? =/ i live in GA though, lol.