Accelerated Evolution

Children of Men

I dunno, it looks like it will be on the high end of mediocre to me.

Not to say it'll be bad or anything, just it'll be Hollywood and I'm so incredibly sick of the Hollywood style of storytelling.

It doesn't look remotely like anything Hollywood's released in years.

It looked pretty awesome at the beginning and then the rest of the trailer made me less and less interested.

Why were all those people going crazy? I hope they explain that in the movie.

Also... Why did they set up a premise and then ruin it by having the movie be about breaking the premise? Stupid, stupid.

Still, I'll go see it.

It looked pretty awesome at the beginning and then the rest of the trailer made me less and less interested.

Why were all those people going crazy? I hope they explain that in the movie.

Also... Why did they set up a premise and then ruin it by having the movie be about breaking the premise? Stupid, stupid.

Still, I'll go see it.

The people were going crazy because the world is ending, duh.

But why were they shooting each other? The world wasn't going to end for like, fifty years.

It didn't make any sense.

Without hope what reason is there for life?

If you where told that the world ends tommorow, I bet you'd pretty much go crazy too.

It doesn't look remotely like anything Hollywood's released in years.

Not on the surface maybe, but when you get past all of that neat hopeless apocalypticality it's going to be the same sort of "save the world and don't lose hope" story peppered with a little compelling interpersonal drama that we've been seeing for years.

Not on the surface maybe, but when you get past all of that neat hopeless apocalypticality it's going to be the same sort of "save the world and don't lose hope" story peppered with a little compelling interpersonal drama that we've been seeing for years.

I don't recall seeing movies like that for years. The only one that comes to mind is the Shawshank Redemption.

I don't recall seeing movies like that for years. The only one that comes to mind is the Shawshank Redemption.

It sounded like Mith pretty much described every movie in years.

To me, anyway.

I still don't understand why "We've got no hope" translates into "Let's wave around AK-47's and kill shit." More likely people would just sit around and not doing anything.

It sounded like Mith pretty much described every movie in years.

To me, anyway.

I still don't understand why "We've got no hope" translates into "Let's wave around AK-47's and kill shit." More likely people would just sit around and not doing anything.

Apparently you don't watch the news.

I would hold back on talk of this being just a typical Hollywood film. One factor that makes me say that is the director Alfonso Cuaron who seemed able to inject a sense independent spirit to a franchise film as cookie-cutter as Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Plus, I never understood this complaint about film being Hollywood. I've seen independent films turn out as bad as anything a major Hollywood studio has released in the past 25 years. It's not Hollywood that's the problem. It's Wall Street and the investors who force studios to continue cranking out cookie-cutter films they know will turn a profit. It sounds abit elitist to say that all things Hollywood is crap.

Children of Men has a nice hard science-fiction feel to it that may just give it the same kind of buzz Aronofsky's The Fountain has been getting. Hopefully, it'll do more business than Soderbergh's Solaris.

• 1 year later...

Children of Men is being adapted into a television series by the producer of Battlestar Galactica for the Sci-Fi channel. Apparently it's not really a continuation of the movie, but it does take place in the same continuity and focuses almost entirely on the clandestine group of scientists called the Human Project.

Children of Men is being adapted into a television series by the producer of Battlestar Galactica for the Sci-Fi channel. Apparently it's not really a continuation of the movie, but it does take place in the same continuity and focuses almost entirely on the clandestine group of scientists called the Human Project.

This is good news to me, the movie is no. 3 on my list of favorite movies.

Hopefully they don't fuck it up.