Accelerated Evolution

Tales of Destiny 2

Scarface

It didn't come out in the US for three reasons:

1. Namco Hometek is run by morons that know nothing about video games.

2. Sony is run by morons that know nothing about video games.

3. America is populated by morons that know nothing about video games.

To appreciate a 2D RPG with anime style artwork, you have to know a little bit about video games. So the odds were against us from the start.

It didn't come out in the US for three reasons:

1. Namco Hometek is run by morons that know nothing about video games.

2. Sony is run by morons that know nothing about video games.

3. America is populated by morons that know nothing about video games.

To appreciate a 2D RPG with anime style artwork, you have to know a little bit about video games. So the odds were against us from the start.

1. Tales of Destiny sold horribly in the US, and did not review well.

2. Tales of Eternia also sold horribly, and was billed as a direct sequal to ToD. Both of these games had problems, and it's not because of gamers being 'idiots'. Star Ocean 2 sold very well in the US and got decent reviews, in spite of it's probelms.

3. ToD2's plot was centered around a character that's near univerally disliked outside of Japan. Said plot is the suck (typical for Tales), relying on a decent battle system for it to work. That's fine in Japan, but it would have crashed and burned as hard as the earlier tales did. It has nothing to do with the cutscenes, and has everything to do with the series failing hard in sales, and only managing one hit in it's entire miserable existance outside of Japan.

2. Tales of Eternia also sold horribly, and was billed as a direct sequal to ToD. Both of these games had problems, and it's not because of gamers being 'idiots'. Star Ocean 2 sold very well in the US and got decent reviews, in spite of it's probelms.

That whole reason right there is proof that gamers are indeed idiots.

Tales of Eternia - great game that sold horribly.

Star Ocean 2 - Piece of shit, terrible RPG that sold very well and got decent reviews.

Yep, those gamers are quite dumb.

Exactly. As I said, America is populated by morons that know nothing about video games. That's why the Tales games did so poorly. And it figures that an inferior RPG like Star Ocean 2 did better.

That whole reason right there is proof that gamers are indeed idiots.

Tales of Eternia - great game that sold horribly.

Star Ocean 2 - Piece of shit, terrible RPG that sold very well and got decent reviews.

Yep, those gamers are quite dumb.

Funny, I feel the opposite. SO2 had polish issues, but the basic game was fanastic. It had wonderful music and solid graphics for the time, a fun PA system, and a fine battle system with plenty of options and ways go about winning it.

ToE was the Tales system with combos. Whoo? I can see it having fans, but suddenly hyping it as the next coming of something great isn't reasonable.

Exactly. As I said, America is populated by morons that know nothing about video games. That's why the Tales games did so poorly. And it figures that an inferior RPG like Star Ocean 2 did better.

Yes, blame gamers for Namco's small print run, ToE's flaws, and the fact that it was in fact not a game for everyone. Story? Suck. Characters? Suck. Battle system? Good, but not all people go for that. SO2 has it's flaws, but calling it clearly inferior and 'suck' just because it sold more copies is the same sort of stupid elitism that leads to things like crap games like Hoshigami or deeply flawed games like Tactics Ogre getting overhyped just because they carry a large price tag and are hard to find.

US gamers have gotten shafted in terms of Tales. ToP only recently got a (shoddy) port, ToD had issues and sold poorly anyway, and ToE's a flawed game that was stupidly labeled ToD2. Why, I don't know.

Considering ToL and ToP's poor sales even after the smash hit that was ToS, I can't fault Sony for this choice.

Yes, blame gamers for Namco's small print run, ToE's flaws, and the fact that it was in fact not a game for everyone. Story? Suck. Characters? Suck. Battle system? Good, but not all people go for that. SO2 has it's flaws, but calling it clearly inferior and 'suck' just because it sold more copies is the same sort of stupid elitism that leads to things like crap games like Hoshigami or deeply flawed games like Tactics Ogre getting overhyped just because they carry a large price tag and are hard to find.

I'll agree that Tales of Eternia lacked a decent storyline or a memorable cast of characters. But then again, I felt the same way about Star Ocean 2. And on top of that, SO2's battle system was a nightmare. At least ToE's battle system was good enough to make up for the game's shortcomings. And for the record, I don't think I've ever heard anyone praise Hoshigami. I'm sure there are a select few people that had fun with the game and say that it's underrated, but other than that, it's almost universally hated.

Considering ToL and ToP's poor sales even after the smash hit that was ToS, I can't fault Sony for this choice.

That brings up my main point. Why did Namco localize Legendia but not Destiny 2 or Rebirth, despite the fact that both are regarded as superior games? It's because Legendia used polygons and the other two games used 2D sprites. A PS2 RPG that uses 2D sprites is guaranteed to be trashed by game reviewers and rejected by consumers. Nevermind how awesome the game is.

woah woah woah........

Drag ToE down into the mud, but belittle Tactics Ogre?

You have corssed a line.

TO did more then FFT ever could accomplish.

If not for inferior graphics, and the franchise name we all know which game was the better of the two.

I'll agree that Tales of Eternia lacked a decent storyline or a memorable cast of characters. But then again, I felt the same way about Star Ocean 2. And on top of that, SO2's battle system was a nightmare. At least ToE's battle system was good enough to make up for the game's shortcomings. And for the record, I don't think I've ever heard anyone praise Hoshigami. I'm sure there are a select few people that had fun with the game and say that it's underrated, but other than that, it's almost universally hated.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the relative merits of both have nothing to do with how they sold. The point of that was it wasn't an open and shut case of quaility, or amercian gamers suddenly 'lacking' taste. Or anything to do with the art, for that matter.

That brings up my main point. Why did Namco localize Legendia but not Destiny 2 or Rebirth, despite the fact that both are regarded as superior games? It's because Legendia used polygons and the other two games used 2D sprites. A PS2 RPG that uses 2D sprites is guaranteed to be trashed by game reviewers and rejected by consumers. Nevermind how awesome the game is.

ToD2? ToD1 sold horribly and was a direct sequal centered around a certain disliked character. Considering how popluar said character is in Japan, even by Tales standards, it was a smart move to bring him back.

Rebirth.. I have no idea there. Despite pretty damn impressive sales of ToS, they managed to bungle it by porting ToL and ucking up the ToP port. Sony's policy about 2d games is stupid, yes. They shot themselves in the foot with Growlanser 1 on that, and ToR (And likely their best chance to make Tales more than a one hit wonder in the US). Yet 2d games sell just fine on the DS and other consoles. It's not a reflection on Amercian games, or their values. Do you seriously think a 2d game would get panned just for graphics? Come on. *Flips through latest EB* Most of the RPG reviews are medicore, but all they covered were ToL and a couple of generic handheld games. Art has nothing to do with this. Marketing and Sony making a stupid call are to blame. Painting everyone in broad strokes may sound dramatic, but all it does is come off as incredibly elitist.

And Scar, FFT's better than TO at everything but translation and maybe story. That's more to do with TO being an SNES game that got a horrible port. My point is that sales are a marketing and publishing thing, and not so much a taste thing.

Graphics do nothing for me, the fact that FFT tried to steal TO's story and chopped it up into a crappier version leaves a sour tase in my mouth.

I grade games by translation and story, you know this. It's why FF4 is the best FF game.

*poses*

and Super is misinformed, America loves Leon, SHAME ON YOU!

• 2 months later...

Akito

would this make you buy a psp if it comes to america?

Earlier this week, Namco Bandai revealed that it had a handful of titles in development for its popular Tales series. Among the four games announced, two of them will be updated ports for the PSP, one is an entry into an ongoing series also on the PSP, and another will be a completely overhauled remake for the PS2.

·Tales of Destiny (PS2, 2006)

This remake of the classic 1998 title will feature a number of changes and new additions. This version will include added story content, 3D environments, a new script which will be fully voiced, new CG movie scenes by Production I.G, as well as a new chat system. The game will also see the addition of the AR-LMBS (Aerial Linear Motion Battle System) which consists of 1 line combat, the CC (Chain Capacity) system, and the ability to fight and combo while in the air, the extent of which is determined by the your current CC value. The game will also include a pre-order bonus of a "Dramatic DVD -Orange Gummy-".

·Tales of Destiny 2 (PSP, 2007)

A port of the direct sequel to Tales of Destiny, which is not to be confused with the game released here in the states by the same name, that was in actuality Tales of Eternia. No details have been released yet involving any updates or changes to this title.

·Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition (PSP, September 7th, 2006)

This edition of the first Tales title is a compilation of the Super Famicom, PlayStation, and Game Boy Advance versions. It will include all the extras from the PlayStation and Game Boy Advance releases and its main scenario will be fully voiced. The game will also incorporate the Grade system and Grade Shop and have the ability to save anywhere. This title will also have a pre-order bonus of a "Dramatic DVD -Apple Gummy-".

·Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (PSP, 2006)

Another installment of the thus far Japan-only series, Radiant Mythology places emphasis on the "my" in "mythology" since you make your own character to battle along side a variety of familiar faces from other Tales titles. You will be able to choose your character's name, gender, voice, appearance, and fighting style, which can be either as a warrior type or mage type. As you accept various quests, your character's class will become a more specific. The story progresses through quests and these quests can be repeated in order to change how you decided to impact your character's class. The game will also feature the FR-LMBS (Flex Range Linear Motion Battle System, the same seen in Tales of the Abyss) which entails a 3D field, and free range. Players will also be able to download items for your character from the Internet. This title will also include a pre-order bonus of a "Dramatic DVD -Lemon Gummy-".

So far none of these titles have been confirmed for North America, all release dates mentioned are for the Japanese releases. While the chances that these games will see a release stateside are historically slim, with Tales of the Abyss and on the way, the likelihood may be greater.