Accelerated Evolution

Alright, well this is something we have all thought about. Usually when we do think about it our brains strain real hard and it just ends up pissing you off because it's so complex and there are many theories. I was wondering if time travel is was or ever was invented what it would be used for. Also if it was invented wouldn't we already know about it because some one would have came here from another time?? Maybe this could explain things like the pyramids and other odd human achivements. What are your ideas on time travel and do you think it is possible?

If you saw yourself while traveling back in time would your past self make diffrent desicions?

Of course you/he would. Anything you did could change something else you did.

Is time Linear? If so how can you go back to something that already took place.

There are many theories about time travel. Discuss and post some of your own.

Wikipedia has some very interesting info on it obviously so check it out.

The wormhole theroy states that you can only go back to the first time that the time machine was invented. That you can't move the technology threw time. So that is an explenation as to why if time travel ever is possible that people from the future haven't came this far in the past yet.

timetraveler3.jpg

This man would beg to differ.

There's a time travel theory that works pretty well with the Multiple World hypothesis in string theory and still manages to prevent causality violations. Time travel is actually a misnomer- you're actually moving between realms of probability, so that moving back to before you were born and killing your parents merely prevents the you of that probability branch from being concieved. Time travel interference merely leads the Cause down another of an infinite number of universes of Effect.

There's a time travel theory that works pretty well with the Multiple World hypothesis in string theory and still manages to prevent causality violations. Time travel is actually a misnomer- you're actually moving between realms of probability, so that moving back to before you were born and killing your parents merely prevents the you of that probability branch from being concieved. Time travel interference merely leads the Cause down another of an infinite number of universes of Effect.

Kind of reminds me of an episode of Futurama where they create a separate universe where all coin flips are reversed.

Time Travel isn't possible.

The simple explaination would be to go into matter traveling at the speed of light. When matter travels close to the speed of light, time slows down, when matter goes beyond the speed of light time MIGHT move backwards. Thus under that law.

ae283b.gif

So you see when you start off - at zero speed (0% of speed of light) your time is just regular i.e. the time slowing factor (xt) is equal to 1. As you speed up your time runs slower by the factor shown on the y-axis. As you are approaching 100% of the speed of light your time slows more and more until it is infinitely slowed down. (You should realize that everything slows down including your heart beats, your thoughts, etc.) So for an example if your ship goes at 98% of the speed of light and you take a one year journey, when you return to Earth five years have gone by.

ae283c.gif

This region of speeds below 100% of the speed of light is the region of our regular time or Real Time.

Now say somehow you were able to go faster than the speed of light (i.e. the v in the above equation is now greater than c the speed of light). The equation will then give us a square root of a negative number on the right hand side (which is an imaginary number.) Well I can factor out the imaginary unit number (i or the square root of minus one) and plot the result on the same graph. This region I call Imaginary Time since it is some weird time with an imaginary unit attached to it (so I don't really know what this time means.)

However you see that time in this imaginary region will speed up from infinity to the regular time speed of 1 and continue speeding up. At 140% or higher speed of light, time slowdown factor is less than one, i.e. time will go faster than in the stationary frame! So for an example if your ship goes at 200% of the speed of light and you take a one year journey, when you return to Earth only about 7 months have gone by. However I need to stress again that this is just a crazy thought experiment which produces some weird imaginary time and has no physical meaning.

Source: http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae283.cfm

Using that you can never move forward in time, only backwards. You may be wondering why doesn't science fiction ships that go faster than light have their time slow down. Take the enterprise, for example. The Enterprise travels many, many times faster than light but doesn't show a difference in time from Earth. The has formed a "warp bubble" around it, which changes the laws of physics. The Enterprise has warped the space around it so that it can pass though it easier, so in reality space is really pulling the enterprise because of that bubble.

Normal Matter, can never surpass the speed of light, thus.. time travel is not possible.

Of course, not with the current knowledge of the universe that we know. We understand the universe in four dimentions with time being flat, but as in the Heinlein novel "The Number of the Beast" he explores the possiblity of having time be three dimentions, just as space is three dimentions. Using this the main character creates a machine that can pass though time and space very easily.

There there is the method from "Star Trek: First Contact", also seen in the Doctor Who episode "The Girl In The Fireplace" where they use massive amounts of energy to punch a hole in time itself, and than manipulate it to their will. With our current understanding of Time and Space, this doesn't seem possible.

Micky: I thought you said this was the 51st century!

The Doctor: I also said this ship was generating enough power to punch a hole in the universe, I think we just found the hole: Space-spacial temporal Hyper Link

Micky: Whats that?

The Doctor: No Idea just made it up. Didn't want to say "Magic Door".

The other way would be the n-space method. In "Time Enough For Love" by Robert Heinlein they discover that the mothod used to travel faster than light, n-space, can be used to Time Travel. Being that the laws of Time and Space don't exsist there. N-Space is just a layer of space that is below what we see. By using enough energy you can break into it and than have a party.

I am a firm believer in the concept of Linear time, that is that time can't be changed and there are no paradox's. So you can't go back in to and change something. Or, if you were to go back in time and change something you were MENT to change that something, thus your life would not be changed by the fact that you Time Traveled.

Time Travel isn't possible.

The simple explaination would be to go into matter traveling at the speed of light. When matter travels close to the speed of light, time slows down, when matter goes beyond the speed of light time MIGHT move backwards. Thus under that law.

ae283b.gif

ae283c.gif

Source: http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae283.cfm

Using that you can never move forward in time, only backwards. You may be wondering why doesn't science fiction ships that go faster than light have their time slow down. Take the enterprise, for example. The Enterprise travels many, many times faster than light but doesn't show a difference in time from Earth. The has formed a "warp bubble" around it, which changes the laws of physics. The Enterprise has warped the space around it so that it can pass though it easier, so in reality space is really pulling the enterprise because of that bubble.

Normal Matter, can never surpass the speed of light, thus.. time travel is not possible.

Of course, not with the current knowledge of the universe that we know. We understand the universe in four dimentions with time being flat, but as in the Heinlein novel "The Number of the Beast" he explores the possiblity of having time be three dimentions, just as space is three dimentions. Using this the main character creates a machine that can pass though time and space very easily.

There there is the method from "Star Trek: First Contact", also seen in the Doctor Who episode "The Girl In The Fireplace" where they use massive amounts of energy to punch a hole in time itself, and than manipulate it to their will. With our current understanding of Time and Space, this doesn't seem possible.

The other way would be the n-space method. In "Time Enough For Love" by Robert Heinlein they discover that the mothod used to travel faster than light, n-space, can be used to Time Travel. Being that the laws of Time and Space don't exsist there. N-Space is just a layer of space that is below what we see. By using enough energy you can break into it and than have a party.

I am a firm believer in the concept of Linear time, that is that time can't be changed and there are no paradox's. So you can't go back in to and change something. Or, if you were to go back in time and change something you were MENT to change that something, thus your life would not be changed by the fact that you Time Traveled.

Hmm, let me get this straight. If we assume that we are 100% correct about how time works, time travel is impossible, but there are other ideas out there that deal with this. Is that basically what all that amounts to?

My favorite time travel ideas are ones I've gotten from sci-fi. One is the alternate dimensions idea, where you can move to other realities, which could be at different spots in time. The other is that there are things beyond our universe, and that it is possible to exit and re-enter the universe at a different spot in either time, space, or both.

As for the 100 coffee idea, how quickly must they be imbibed? This one might have been tried.

I'm pretty sure he drank them all within the space of one day. And wasn't it three hundred? Or am I remembering wrong?

I am going to try this in college.

Anyway, according to GPS's mammoth post, time travel into the future is possible, unless I read something wrong. As he said, if you travel for a year at 98% of the speed of light, five years will pass for everything that isn't traveling that fast. So, there you go, five years into the future of time travel. Traveling at 98% of the speed of light is physically possible (not that we have the technology).

Time travel into the past is impossible.

Unless you fly around the sun at higher than warp 10.

According to Einstein, time travel to the past is completely possible, but would require that you travel at a certain orbit counter to... was it the universe's rotation or something like that?

Either way, though you'll end up when you want to be, it's silly to assume you'll be where you were aiming for.

Whatever the problem, it is uninformed to assume that time travel is right out impossible. Our understanding of the physical laws of the universe does currently allow for it- and it doesn't matter if you're a disciple of String Theory or Classical, as all mainstream models have not yet "solved" the problem of loopholes in the structure of Time. It's merely that backwards travel requires some exotic situations- superstrings of infinite length, cee-velocity travel in a very specific direction, ect, ect. Not easy, requires a huge industrial output, and people probably end up not doing it in the far future simply because it costs so much and wouldn't you rather have this nifty quantum ray gun?

According to Einstein, time travel to the past is completely possible, but would require that you travel at a certain orbit counter to... was it the universe's rotation or something like that?

Never heard anything about that, and I've read a lot of Einstein.