Accelerated Evolution

Crescent Pale Mist

David

Crescent Pale Mist is a wonderful side scrolling action adventure game. It is very Bullet Hell like, because some of the attacks the Bosses do, are reminiscent of the Touhou Series / Shoot 'em Up games. There are lots of sweet moves you can pull off, and the game is quite long. Anyone who is a fan of side scrolling adventure games, this is for you.

cres1.jpg

Only real gripe I have with it is that it'll only play 600x480 windowed. No idea what it plays full screen, but it's good enough. And of course, the game's in Japanese.

Screenshots below:

3.jpg4.jpg

8.jpg2.jpg

A YouTube gameplay video is here.

Controls I use (in order that they appear in options):

Sword Attack (default F) - R

Dagger Throw (default S) - E

Offensive Magic (default D) - W

Jump (default Spacebar) - Spacebar

Endurance (default Down arrow key) - Q

?? - Right arrow key

?? - Left Shift (as far as I know, these just make a plus/minus sign over your head during boss fights. Unimportant)

Menu (default Keypad 7) - I

Up - Keypad 8

Down - Keypad 5

Left - Keypad 4

Right - Keypad 6

Commands:

Double Jump - Jump, Jump. During boss fights with "infinite mana", you can jump as many times as you want, though Flying is generally a better option.

Wall Hop - Hold down the direction towards the wall is in and press Jump.

Fly (only during boss fights/"infinite mana" areas) - U+Jump while in air.

Dash Hop - DF or DB and press Jump. You can double jump off this jump, or do a Dash Hop instead of a Double Jump.

Three-hit combo - Sword Attack, Sword Attack, Sword Attack. Any direction except DF/DB can be held to change the direction of the first attack.

Rising Slash - DF+Sword Attack, Ground only. (You can attack with your sword in any direction, but DF is the only one that produces a different effect than just slashing in that general direction)

Energy Sword - D,D, Sword Attack. You can keep pressing Sword Attack to throw more Energy Swords, but each Energy Sword raises your GB bar.

Energy Beam (minor) - U,U, Sword Attack. You can stack this up to three times. Raises your GB bar, but not by much.

Five Dagger Throw - Any Direction twice, Dagger Throw. You can keep pressing Dagger Throw to throw more, and you can change the direction by holding down another direction while throwing.

Red Dagger - Offensive Magic+Dagger Throw. Does less damage than a regular Dagger, but it blinks you closer towards the enemy if it hits. Generally considered useless since you'll probably get counterattacked to hell. Uses a very small amount of MP.

Set Spheres - Offensive Magic, Offensive Magic. Drains MP.

Sphere -> Energy Swords - D,D, Offensive Magic. Each Sphere turns into one Energy Sword.

Sphere -> Energy Beam - U,U, Offensive Magic. Each Sphere turns into one Energy Beam (minor), allowing you to stack more than three. Can't be used again to stack more Beams.

Endurance - Hold down Endurance. You move slower, do less damage, but you take less damage and get knocked back less. The GB bar also seems to cool off faster while in Endurance. All Spheres nearby also fizzle when you use activate Endurance (Spheres that were not created using Set Spheres will give you life when fizzled). Some Bosses also use Endurance.

Can be found rather easily online. This site has it up on http, but it requires an free account registration. direct link, may or may not work

You should grab the AppLocale program on that website too, it'll let you run the program as though you were running Japanese Windows.

Gah! Side-scrollers are so impossible to play with a keyboard. And it feels like this game was specifically designed to prevent people from being able to use a gamepad. JoyToKey usually works just fine for me, but it seems as though this game already accepts input from my gamepad (with no way of turning it off, or any way of configuring it), so even when I use JoyToKey, I can't control it properly.

Gah! Side-scrollers are so impossible to play with a keyboard. And it feels like this game was specifically designed to prevent people from being able to use a gamepad. JoyToKey usually works just fine for me, but it seems as though this game already accepts input from my gamepad (with no way of turning it off, or any way of configuring it), so even when I use JoyToKey, I can't control it properly.

Readjust your keys to:

up = w

Down = s

left = a

right = d

sword = 4

magic = 5

Knife/lance = 6

(Numbers on the number pad) It's much more comftorable.

My copy encounters an error right before I see the level 2 boss...

Oh, and you move about four times faster if you use the hopp and 3-hit combo off of enemies. And these stack up - you can move insanely fast like this.

Oh, and it stays at the defualt resolution in full-screen. 800x600, and 1o24x768 are in the config file, but you can't use them.

You have to use AppLocale so that the game runs as though it were in Japanese Windows. XP will ask for you to install the East Asian language packs from the CD if you haven't already.

Though Chapter 3 is a total bitch. You'll encounter aggressive enemies that you can't kill and enemies that can do 200+ to you even with Endurance.