Accelerated Evolution

2006 so far

post overall thoughts on the releases 2006 has given us thus far.

for the most part, i think this year has KILLED. some old favorites have come back from beyond to slaughter our souls, some i never had faith in FINALLY showed their potential, and mercenary sucked

but man... killers from Novembre, skinless, into eternity, tankard, SYL, [others i dont' feel like looking up] and most of all JESU. i'm super bad at keeping track of album release years, but i know a bunch of bands have been tearing it up this year and only a couple have faltered

anyways, discuss

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I made a list of stuff that was going to be released this year. Although it was not a complete list, it was a decent size for the time. I meant, I can't look exactly into the future you know?

Luckly enough, I got a nice number of 2006 release for free. Some crappy (Godsmack) and some just plain fucking awesome (SYL), I got a nice handful of them.

Godsmack- "ReLoad"

I would like to thank Sully for making Metallicas ReLoad album again. Maybe this should be called "ReReLoad?" Joking aside, it is just like the other Godsmack albums. Nothing really new here.

In Flames- "Come Clarity"

People need to realise that Andres Friden can't sing like he used to, but that doesn't mean they can't write a great album. Though, I must say... this is a lot better than Soundtrack.

Cannibal Corpse- "KILL"

SUUUFFFFFFFFEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! Hot damn, this kicks ass through out the entire album. It grabs your testicles and won't let go until the final seconds of Infinite Misery, which is an interesting little instrumental by the way.

Dir En Grey- "Withering To Death"

Does this even count as a 2006 release? Well, it came out last year in Japan, but just only now that it was released over here on an American label. I think that counts... Anyway, I am not a big expert on this band like other AE members, but it is getting my attention.

Rob Zombie- "Educated Horses"

I don't know why, but the sound somewhat reminds me of Ministry. The single "Foxy, Foxy" is really catchy, but sometimes I forget Rob likes to use these soundbytes of movie stuff or noises (In this case, it was a woman making orgasm noises.) I like it, but most of us know that they won't top off White Zombie.

Beyond Fear- "Beyond Fear"

The first track resembles Overkill in some way and is the stereotypical Metal Monster song. There is a nice crunch to it. If you want to know what it sounds like... take part Judas Priest, part Black Sabbath, and part Pantera, mix well, and serve.

Devin Townsend Band- "Synchestria"

True to Devins styles, very fucking experimental. Just like most of DTB albums, this of course comprises of different members (With the exception of Devin, fucko.) It is not as heavy as Physicist or Ocean Machine, but it is a fun album to listen to.

Strapping Young Lad- "The New Black"

Devin shows us that lime green is the new black in this release. It seems that it is taking more experimental than the other S.Y.L. releases, it even went as far as having a wind section in the song "Anti-Product." Fun tunes, fun guests, and overall a great album. If you don't buy this, then you suck!

Future releases include, but not limited to (No shit!):

Motorhead- "Kiss Of Death"

GWAR- "Beyond Hell"

Body Count- "Murder 4 Hire"

Lamb Of God- "Sacrament"

Mastodon- "Blood Mountain"

Black Label Society- "Shot To Hell"

Blind Guardian- "Twist Of Fate"

Iron Maiden- "A Matter Of Life And Death"

Megadeth- "United Abominations"

i know what you mean, i was thinking about this the other day, how 2006 is kicking serious ass metal (and beyond) wise.

memorable hits:

SYL

Tankard

Korpiklaani

Kalmah

Into Eternity

Insomnium

Novembre

Skinless

Mastodon

Agalloch

Voivod

Cattle Decapitation

Manegarm

Gorgoroth

annnnddd... Mercenary sucked

This year is huge for metal. It's back in the mainstream after years of sort of just being something "goth kids" listened to. And we've got some great albums for all the genres that make up metal.

I'm having trouble picking a best album this year, but so far the new Mastodon has to win. We'll see how it holds up over the next few weeks/months.

I was bored and had nothing better to do :biggrin:

ANXIOUSLY AWAITING FOR THE REST 2006

WINTERSUN - TIME

Lamb Of God - Sacrament

Amon Amarth - With Odin On Our SIde

Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death

Megadeth - United Abominations

BLS - Shot To Hell

Cradle Of Filth - Thornography

Hammerfall - Threshold

THE GOOD OF 2006

Summoning - Oath Bound

Eluveitie - Spirit

Cannibal Corpse - Kill

Sodom - Sodom

Blind Guardian - A Twist In The Myth

GWAR - Beyond Hell

Stone Sour - Come What(ever) May

SYL - The New Black

Celtic Frost - Monotheist

DTB - Synchestra

Mastodon - Blood Mountain

Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain

Gorgoroth - Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam

In Flames - Come Clarity

Zyklon - Disintegrate

Ihsahn - The Adversary

Napalm Death - Smear Campaign

Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage

Sonata Arctica - For The Sake Of Revenge

In My Opinon...THE DISSAPOINTMENTS OF 2006

Slayer - Christ Illusion

Satyricon - Now, Diabolical

Rob Zombie - Educated Horses

Deicide - The Stench Of Redemption

Sepultura - Dante XXI

Darkthrone - The Cult Is Alive

Venom - Metal Black

ANNOUNCED FOR 2007

Down

Anaal Nathrakh

Metallica

Behemoth

Dimmu Borgir

Ensiferum

Ozzy Osbourne

Dark Tranquillity

Judas Priest

DevilDriver

King Diamond

Kreator

Mayhem

Shadows Fall

probably Black Label Society too...

I think that covers it all :laugh:

What a great year for metal!

i keep seeing people saying they cant wait for the new GWAR album, Beyond Hell leaked a coupel days ago, and its awesome so go download it!!

This year is huge for metal. It's back in the mainstream after years of sort of just being something "goth kids" listened to. And we've got some great albums for all the genres that make up metal.

I'm having trouble picking a best album this year, but so far the new Mastodon has to win. We'll see how it holds up over the next few weeks/months.

The new Wintersun album shall destroy it. :cool:

i guess i'll add a few more that no one's mentioned:

-the gathering

-anata

-sleep terror

-goatwhore (shame on you, matt :tongue: )

-neglected fields

-dolorian

-beyond twilight *

*i don't like the new BT release as much as i liked section X, but the guys deserve a ton of credit for trying something so huge

all i can think of right this second that i'm anticipating is the new martyr. and if it's coming out this year, that negativa album (viva gorguts !)