Accelerated Evolution

The Power Rangers/Super Sentai Discussion Thread

The following thread is inspired by the recent Sentai/Ranger discussion in RT.

Insomnia has ressurected my interest in the cheesey appeal of Power Rangers and Super Sentai. I've mostly been watching reruns of the Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, and S.P.D. series in the dark hours of the morning. It's interesting, a lot of the stories from the source material are begining to remain in contact for the most part in the American versions. I've been told Mystic Force is probably the most faithful American adaptation of a Super Sentai series yet, but I've only seen a couple of episodes. MF definately looks like the most well financed series, because the production quality is very good.

While researching S.P.D. I was disapointed that they never did anything with DekaGold. I liked her uniform, so I would have liked to see them do something with her in S.P.D. even though she wasn't integral to the Dekaranger series.

I've just read about the next series, Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive, adapted from the Boukenger series. This should be interesting, I imagine they might diverge from the source with this one. Also, this is the first series since Megaranger/PR: In Space to have the classic color scheme that most American fans are familar with. (Red, Blue, Black, Yellow, Pink)

PR.logo.v6b.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't post this enough, but yeah, taste the rainbow.

I think the episode I enjoyed most would be the first part of Green with Evil - where Tommy hops into the Megazord and starts messing up all their shit, and then he proceeds to throw a Denjin Hadouken at the Red Ranger.

Good ol YouTube, making MMRP available online.

I stopped watching around Power Rangers: In Space, though I don't remember much of the series as a whole anyway, except for Ninjor. Good ol eccentric Ninjor.

My favorite episode is Forever Red, it is full with continuity errors, but it is by far the most nostalgic.

My favorite moment was in Dino Thunder, which featured Tommy returning as a mentor for a new team and as the most recent Black Ranger. The episode was "Fighting Spirit," and while in a coma, Tommy was confronted by his Green, White, and Red Ranger personas and was forced to prove his will to live was stronger than any of his powers. Dino Thunder was pretty cool on a whole, mostly because of Tommy. It was nice to see him recognized as a legend by other Rangers.

EDIT: If anyone has pics from Boukenger, please share.

EDIT: This post will now serve as a master list to Direct Download links so that guests and members don't have to muddle through old PR/Sentai news to find old links. I'll only be posting new and currently subbed shows. All old series that have been completed and raws can be given and posted upon request.

Power Rangers -

Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive (2007 - 2008)

Episode 1 - Kick Into Overdrive part 1

Episode 2 - Kick Into Overdrive part 2

Episode 3 - The Underwater World

Episode 4 - Heart of Blue

Episode 5 - Weather or Not

Episode 6 - Pirate in Pink

Episode 7 - At All Cost

Episode 8 - Both Sides Now

Episode 9 - Follow the Ranger

Episode 10 - Lights, Camera, DAX!

Episode 11 - Face to Face part 1

Episode 12 - Face to Face part 2

Episode 13 - Man Of Mercury part 1

Episode 14 - Man Of Mercury part 2

Episode 15 - Behind the Scenes

Episode 16 - Just Like Me

Episode 17 - It's Hammer Time

Episode 18 - Out Of Luck

Episode 19 - One Gets Away

Episode 20 - Once A Ranger Part 1 (parts 1 and 2 are included)

Episode 21 - Once A Ranger Part 2 (see Part 1)

Episode 22 - One Fine Day

Power Rangers: Jungle Fury (2008 - 2009)

Episode 1 - Welcome to the Jungle part 1 (this contains both parts)

Episode 2 - Welcome to the Jungle part 2 (see Episode 1's link)

Episode 3 - Sigh of the Tiger

Episode 4 - A Taste of Poison

Super Sentai -

Denji Sentai Megaranger / Electromagnetic Squadron Megaranger (1997 - 1998)

Episode 1 - Don't Let Them! The Twisted Invaders

Episode 2 - Look! Our Galaxy Mega

Episode 3 - For Real! A Huge Nejire Beast

Jūken Sentai Gekiranger / Beast-Fist Squadron Gekiranger (2007 - 2008)

Lesson 1: Niki-Niki! Fierce Beast-Fist!

Lesson 2: Waki-Waki! Beast-Fist Gattai!

Lesson 3: Shio-Shio! Cleaning Power

Lesson 4: Zowa-Zowa! The Five Venom Fists

Lesson 5: Uja-Uja! What Should I Do?

Lesson 6: Juwān! …What's That?

Lesson 7: Shuba-Shuba Dancing!

Lesson 8: Koto-Koto…Earnestly Koto-Koto

Lesson 9: The Kena-Kena Woman

Lesson 10: Jara-Jara Attack! The First Errand

Lesson 11: Ukya-Ukya! Beast-Fist Armament

Lesson 12: Zowan-Zowan! Confrontation Beast-Fist, Training Starts

Lesson 13: Shin-Shin! The Spirit's Dance

Lesson 14: Netsu-Netsu! Forget the Technique

Lesson 15: Howa-Howa! Mama Skills

Lesson 16: Jiri-Jiri! Confrontation Beast Hall, Extra-curricular Class

Lesson 17: Goro-Goro! Teacher and Student Love

Lesson 18: Sharkin-Kīn! The Body is Strong

Lesson 19: Gokin-Gokin! Showdown with Rio

Lesson 20: Gicho-Gicho! Triangle Match

Enjin Sentai Gōonjā / Engine Squadron Go-onger (2008 - 2009)

Grand Prix 1 - Allies of Justice

It's actually...pretty horrible.

I've seen all of Magical Squadron Magiranger (including Bride of Infershia, Magiranger vs. Dekaranger Teamup, and the KaiShine vs. MagiShine short). While i've only seen a few episode of Mystic Force, they really diverged a lot.

Name changes, added characters, removed characters, etc.

Here are some of the changes i've noticed from Magiranger to Mystic force. Spoilers follow for both series.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Name changes (Magi/MF)

Absolute God N Ma/Octomus, Branken/Morticon, Vancuria/Necrolai, Wolzard/Koragg, Meemy/Imperious, Raigel/Calindor, Snokey/Genji (and all Heavnly Saint names were changed)

Infershia Pantheon (Infershia Gods)/The Ten Terrors

Ifrit/Magma

Cyclops/Oculous

Gorgon/Serpentina

Drake/Megahorn

Toad/Hekatoid

Wyvern/Gekkor

Titan/Matoombo

Sphinx/Itassis

Sleipnir/Black Lance

Dagon/Sculpin

Clare, Fire Heart, Toby, Phineas, and Leelee are original characters. None of them are adapted from Magiranger.

All beast names were changed. Some genders where changed, like Gnatu was a male in the Magiranger series and didn't mind sexin' up the ladies, before stealing their souls, that is.

Magiranger: The whole Sentai team, except for MagiShine, are family.

Mystic Force: Unless something swtichs in the plot, the only two siblings on the team are the two girls.

Magiranger: Heavenly Saints have costumes that resemble creatures. Bagel looks a cross between Neo Angelo and Sparta of Devil May Cry.

Mystic Force: The Heavenly Saints (are they called that in MF?) look like real figures in past history. The person who I can only assume is the amercian adaption of Bagel, looks like a Spartan.

Magiranger: Vancuria transforms herself a lot into two female gothic teenagers. Her vampire form also has realistic breasts.

Mystic Force: Vancuria's costume is redone from the mask down from it's japanese counterpart after a few episodes (the japanese footage shown in MF is mostly edited to zoom in on her head). Her breasts are no longer out right in the open. Parts of the actor's skin can be seen.

She also, for some reason, has a daughter.

Magiranger: MagiMother is killed by Wolzard in episode 1 (or so you're lead to believe for the next 40 episodes).

Mystic Force: Udonna losses her powers but still lives.

Magiranger: Rin, who can't remember any of her past, is found by Kai while she is attacked by hades beasts. She later turns into Heavenly Saint Lunagel.

Mystic Force: Niella is Udonna's sister.

Magiranger: Smokey was abandoned by his parents because he was a trouble maker. He later finds Magitopia and fucks around with some boxes, one of which has a curses him. Sungel feels sorry for him and offers to store him in a magic lamp to reverse the curse. Problem is, if Smokey goes outside the lamp for more then 30 mins, he dies. This happnes once in the series, but is revived by Hoku.

Mystic Force: Jeji is highly regarded, when a evil king turns against him by making everyone in the village think Jeji was trouble. Other then this, the story is about the same except for Darggon being a theif.

Magiranger: Episodes 20-(late)30's had an arc which Branken was killed and they faced new types of enemies called "Hades Beastmen".

Mystic Force: Most of the Hades Beast Man arc is turned into a movie.

That's about all of the changes I know from the 10 or so Mystic Force episodes i've seen.

If they adapt the story of Magiranger for the final episodes, this is what should happen.

Matoombo will betray the Ten Terrors, Octomus will take his soul into Matoombo. Matoombo befriends the Rangers and tells them of a place where he can set himself in an ocean and sleep forever (preventing Octomus from reviving). The Rangers help Matoombo but Sculpin will fuck him over just as he reaches the ocean, Octomus will revive and look like a cthulhu.

While this is going on the Rangers are battling Gekkor, Koregg interferes and gets his ass kicked. The tears of the Rangers (or whoever Koregg's son is in Mystic Force) will awaken him and rid him of the darkness turning his armor into red, and he fucks up Gekkor.

Daggeron will get visions of himself being killed by Octomus, so he shuts himself out from the Rangers, but (whoever the blue ranger is) will go on a date with him and eventually they'll marry.

A bloody Niella will intrude on the wedding saying (whatever they adapted Magitopia into) has been destoryed by Octomus. A flashback sequence will happen showing the world being destroyed, and Maigel (played by Machiko Soga. The original Rita Repulsa, bitches!) will fight with him. I assume the Machiko Soga footage will be dubbed over Magiranger footage.

Itassis will betray the Ten Terrors by not wanting to fight the Rangers, Sculpin will kill her. Both Black Lance and Sculpin will head to the surface to face the Rangers. Daggeron and (the actor who played Koragg) go to (magitopia) to find the place in ruin and face Octomus.

The combo of Black Lance and Sculpin are to much for the Rangers. Octomus goes to the surface and throw the dead bodies of Koregg and Daggeron infront of the rangers.

Red Ranger will gain strength and bust Black Lance's shield, finishing him off.

Itassis will come to the surface to reveal she's alive by Necrolai's immortality. Itassis will then bazooka Sculpin's ass, and he will die. Necrolai revives Draggon and Koregg.

Octomus will then take the Rangers in his hand and suck up all time, leaving the Rangers in a cave of sorts, without any sense of time. The Rangers will lose their helmets, and Red Ranger will gain strength using his Legend Form wand and his Sword Wand to do a powerful attack to Octomus leaving him to spit out time.

All the Rangers, Undonna (in her White Ranger outfit) and Koregg, wil gather all their power and blast a huge holy attack at Octomus. Octomus will eat all of this magic, but it will kill him since it's holy (or something). Octomus blows up into small white sparkly crystals and everyone on earth remarks how pretty they are.

Fin.

Black and Green usually switch every series or so. Thunderous Squadron Boukenger will be the first Sentai series to have a Black Ranger right from the start since Bird-man Squadron Jetman.

91photoau1.gif

EDIT: I'm wrong time-line wise. Jetman came out in '91, while Zyuranger came out in '92. So it's the first series to have a Black Ranger in the team from the start since Zyuranger. Before Jetman would be Terrestrial Squadron Fiveman, which also had a Black Ranger.

review-2.jpg

Here's a few from the opening. I'll take more snapshots as the series goes along (should be up to Episode 23 or so). I only have the first 4 episodes currently.

Spoiler due to huge-ness.

bokugh4.jpg

I meant Boukenger/PR:OO is going to be the first series since Megaranger/PR:IS in America to have the classic color scheme.

I meant Boukenger/PR:OO is going to be the first series since Magiranger/PR:IS in America to have the classic color scheme.

Same applies to Japan.

There hasn't been a classic team of Black, Pink, Blue, Yellow, and Red since Zyuranger which the first season of MMPR was based on. The US just reuses the outfits (and footage) from the Sentai series it's based on.

The very first Sentai series, Secret Squadron Five-Ranger, didn't have a Black Ranger, and for every sentai series for the next 5 years it was always a Green Ranger.

Sentai-goranger-1975.jpg (Goranger team)

Solar Squadron Sun Vulcan had one, but he wasn't apart of the original team. Another three years after that and a Black Ranger finally became part of a starting Sentai team, Science Squadron Dynaman.

The series was awesome.

dynaman3L.jpg

They also had some pretty awesome villians for it's time too.

dynaman11L.jpg

I mentioned Megaranger twice.

Once, actually. :tongue: The second time you had Magiranger before it, so I overlooked that it said "PR:IS", which at the time, didn't know it ment In Space. It atleast gave me an excuse to post some old, yet awesome, Super Sentai pics. :ohmy:

I really should see if Megaranger was subbed at some point in time.

Where is Boukenger Silver?

He doesn't appear in the first opening, but here are some shots from Episode 21.

silverxb5.jpg

I finally got around to watching the first Task of Boukenager this morning, and loved it. Now that TV-N's tracker is back up i'll probably start downloading more of the series and watching it.

Kamen Rider Kabuto is really making other Toku shows hard to watch, as it blinds me with its awesomeness.

Anyway, I really hope MMPR:OO keeps the Black Ranger story that's in Boukenager.

If anyone wants to read the summary of Task 1 from Boukenager I made, read on.

The Ranger team is called Search Guard Successor, SGS for short, and seeks out relics, near-extinct animals, and objects that surpass current technology , which are called "Precious". (will probably be changed to "treasure" for the US release.)

The episode/(or Task, so I don't upset the hardcore Toku fans here), starts off with SGS searching some land of water.

BoukenRed tells the others of lenged about a old civilization called "Goadom" which had this relic heart used to control the sea, SGS believes the ruins are down here.

BoukenBlack and BoukenYellow, which i'll refer to Rangers as their color now, are new recruits to the SGS team sent in to check the ruins. They come across a shine in there and mess around with a slide puzzle that awakes the whole ruins itself and opens up some coffin inside, while it also traps Black and Yellow inside with water flooding it.

Blue rescues pink from the water by his helicopter, and Red goes inside the ruins with his truck to help out Yellow and Black. A quick scene shows the person in the coffin awaking, looking like a high priest of sorts, and little white rock guys by his side. I can only assume the rock guys will be the footsoldiers in the series.

Red busts in and pries apart the hands holding Black and Yellow with the back of his truck and all of SGS meet up outside.

At the meet up Blue seems to think Black was a former burglar, but Black covers it up by saying he was a "treasure hunter".

With the shine out of the water, SRS agrees to go back inside to find the Precious, Black and Yellow rush off before the others, though.

Inside the shrine (again), Black and Yellow come across a door that leads to a huge room with a rock bridge and lava below.

As they cross it the bridge starts to fall apart, black gets trapped, as Yellow tries to save him the other Rangers catch up and rush across the bridge telling them to hurry up. Black gets back on the bridge and they "jump" to where the other rangers are.

When they finally reach the end, the Heart of Goadom is there. Blue touchs it, and the heart duplicates a couple dozen times. Blue tries to touch one of these, but Yellow gets a vision a him being hurt if he does, so she throws him out of the way before he is able to touch it, the fake heart explodes.

Red takes one of the fake hearts and throws them into the rest, letting them all set off by blowing up the other. After they blow up the real one is left standing. Blue asks what "burglar-san" (Black) thinks about the heart, and Black slugs him in the face. Black kidnaps Yellow and jumps down into the lava, but before falling into it he uses his accellular as a grappling hook and swings to the front of the bridge as Yellow picks up the heart in mid-air.

Black reveals that he's a traitor and was only looking to score big money. He spouts about some treasure hunter called "Immortal Fang" that took any treasure he wanted. I don't quite get the relevanceof this, except for maybe putting some

allusions to a character later in the series. (BokuSilver, perhaps?).

Black throws his accellular for Red to catch and proceeds off. Red seems to have known Black was a traitor, and is happy about it, but as black goes to leave, the dude who was in the coffin from earlier confronts them, and is either showing them how Metal he is by his hand, or just has creepy hand gestures, tells them to return the heart to him.

The guy clad in white sends the rock type soldiers out to battle Black and Red. One soldier steals the heart and throws Black over the edge, but he is able to hold on to a piece of rock. The guy in white and his soldiers leave after he has the heart.

The rest of the team (Blue, Pink, and Red) use their grapling hooks to reach Yellow and Black. Red tells the others to go after that man from before, and leave Black to himself.

The team leaves and Red jumps down to where Black is hanging on for life. While jumping, Red's accellular turns into a parachute which lets him get on the edge of the rock Black's holding onto. Red bitch smacks Black and tells him to choose between the accellular and falling into the lava.

Red tells Black that he knew he would betray the team from the start.

Outside of the shine the guy in white finds a small stone shine and places the heart inside. While he is doing this Yellow trips on a rock and the guy in white hears. He sends one of his soldiers, Kaasu, to take care of them. Kassu's torch turns into a sickle, and the ruins "awake".

The scene swtichs back to Black and Red, Black choses the accellular. The ruins start to rumble and Red looses his footing, falling into the lava. Red transforms into BokuRed and falls right into the lava, which doesn't seem to hurt him as he jumps right back up from it.

Back at the shrine, the rest of the team is dealing with Kaasu and a few other of the same type of men. (are all of them called Kaasu?). Red hops up to where they are and joins in using his Survibuster. The other members also use the busters on the men, and then transform the busters into SurviBlades. Black finally joins in after awhile, too.

After they finish the Kaasu off, they all do a Sentai pose and proclaim they are "GoGo Sentai Boukenger". However, the Shine has awaken, which is a God of Goadom, and he is the shine itself.

The team summon their Gou Gou vehicles and go after Goadom. They use the vehicles to change into "Gattai" mode, which of course is to summon a giant robo. After the transformation is complete, DaiBouken is born.

DaiBouken uses a shovel and a pickaxe.

The following scenes are just DaiBouken announcing his attacks (DaiPicker and GoScooper) against God Goadom. After that the team uses "Gou Gou Ken" to transform the shovel and axe into a sword. Once the sword is made they use the attack "Adventure Drive" (it looks kind of like Magical Illusion used in Magiranger, just without the swords) which takes out God Goadom.

The scene changes to the SGS team on a beach retrieving the heart of Goadom. Before they can go home, though, the guy in white sends thunder like attacks at SGS.

He (finally) tells them his name, Arch Priest Gajaa, and that there are many treasures that revive the God Goadom.

Then a huge hydra head appears out from the ocean and eats Gajaa whole.

And with that, the episode ends.

Later on today I might get some pictures of the stuff used in Boukenager, like the accellulars, Daibouken, etc. Since Wiki lacks pictures.

To be honest, and I dont't know why but I prefer Mystic Force to Magiranger this time. Must be the theme song. That and Vida the pink ranger is beyond hot.

Magiranger had better fights, though. Like Sungel vs. Raigel in a Magitopia Duel, and DekaMaster vs. Wolzard.

And Magi had Sayaka Fukuoka. Sweet, sweet Sayaka Fukuoka. :wub:

Just as I posted about TV-N's tracker being up yesterday I went to go download some more Boukenger and Hibiki, and lone behold, they're down again. Goddamnit.

Anyway, here's a bunch of caps I took of Boukenger last night.

vlcsnap3155146is5.png

Helmets also have lights attached to them.

vlcsnap3156052ji3.png

Overhead shot inside the shrine.

vlcsnap3156780yg5.png

An accellular can scan the danger level of objects.

vlcsnap3157393bg2.png

Accellular used as a hookshot.

vlcsnap3157906ej9.png

Screen catch 1.

vlcsnap3157991zb0.png

Catch 2.

vlcsnap3158157dq6.png

Gajaa

vlcsnap3159066kj5.png

Accellular used as a parachute.