Accelerated Evolution

MegaTen: Digital Devil Saga

Hero

Okay, so by pure luck, I found a copy of DDS Volume 1 at a Gamerush and have been playing it for the last week or so.

And I think I like it, but there are just as many flaws as there are strengths. Well, sort of. There's one gigantic flaw, dungeon design, that pretty much dwarfs everything else.

And I really want to like this game. It's got a neat story, great artstyle, fun battle system, and this alternate what-if-buddhism-were-evil atmosphere I like. But the dungeons are pretty much some of the worst I've ever seen.

From what I've been told, I'm nearing the end of Volume 1 right now and thought about picking up Volume 2, but I hear the dungeon design is even worse. Is it worth it just to own both? Or does DDS2 do something incredible to make up for the dungeons?

The dungeon designs in DDS didn't bother me. They were simplistic and easy to navigate. Because of the auto-map feature, I looked at it as a sort of completionist challenge; instead of trying to simply get through each dungeon, I always made sure that I mapped everything out. That approach makes dungeon crawling a lot less tedious.

The real highlight of the game is the battle system. There is a lot more strategy involved in it than in most RPGs. As a result, even random encounters can be fun and engaging, whereas in most RPGs, they're just a speed bump to keep you from getting through the dungeon too quickly.

BTW, I never thought the dungeon designs in DDS2 were worse. They were pretty much the same. Maybe even slightly better.