Accelerated Evolution

Cross Country Skiing In A Normal Place??

amy

Okay so I'm on this big anti-car kick and I use a bicycle everywhere (more like I don't go anywhere anymore haha. no, really) but then I thought, WHAT WILL I DO IN THE WINTER?

And I thought, WELL, I'LL GET CROSS COUNTRY SKIS and ski like everywhere.

http://www.tahoebest.com/skiing/_images/txclake0d.jpg (OH! ATHLETICISM!)

In a snowstorm in Boston once, I saw a bunch of guys swooping around in spandex so I figured you can do it in the city, but I looked on the interbutt and I can't find anything else about city skiing (I live in a suburb anyway). I wonder also whether you ski on the sidewalk or the road? And what do you do at highway intersections? Since it's all cars and the light speeds are accordingly paced usually it's hard to cross on a bike, one time I started in the middle of a green light and Interstate 437 had to wait for me, it took like 2 seconds I was so embarassed.

Also do you think there'd be enough snow in MA in the winter to need them at least twice a week? GLOBAL WARMING i h8 you. I don't want to waste the money (well, actually christmas present since i don't have a job xD) if i'm not going to use them. Also, how do you ski? ?___? I DON'T KNOW. I tried it once in seventh grade and it was sooo much fun but then that was a groomed trail and groomed trails are lamez0rz. Part of my family is from Minnesota so I think they'd be proud too but yeah.

SO LIKE, I JUST WANT TO GET A GENERAL SENSE OF WHETHER YOU THINK THIS WOULD WORK! ESPECIALLY Y'ALL IN THE NORTH! DO YOU SEE SKIIERS IN LIKE BUCK MCBUCKSBERGOPOLIS?

you can ski, but it's actually easier to bike, especially if you have a mountain bike. Mine gets me around, but I'm a crazy phsycho who has come close to killing himself on his bike, so maybe you should ignore this. On the other hand, I'm from Buffalo so I know how to deal with snow.

you can ski, but it's actually easier to bike, especially if you have a mountain bike. Mine gets me around, but I'm a crazy phsycho who has come close to killing himself on his bike, so maybe you should ignore this. On the other hand, I'm from Buffalo so I know how to deal with snow.

You once skiid over to my house. Do you remember that?

Also... I hit a pole on my bike today and threw the chain off the gears and scrapped my palm up while I was on my way to your church to take pictures of people leaving after mass.

I managed to get there but I had a bloody band-aid, dried spit, and loads of oil on my hands and was kneeling in front of the church taking pictures and it kinda weirded a few people out.

I don't think I could use my bike in the winter. Not a mountain bike.

Yeah.

Thanks everyone!!!

I asked my dad and he said you ruin your skis in 1 week by skiing on snow covered roads and stuff. I asked how to get around in icy weather (mountain bike is a great idea satan but no way my parents are buying me a 2nd bike) and he said just walk and I said walking is boring and said read a book while walking xD. If I lived in a rural area maybe I'd try snow shoes, but the snow's mostly packed and gross here so I think normal shoes will be fine.

Circle of Time I also dream of skiing. :X I think when I move to some cold rural prairie area (nebraska, north dakota??) I might seriously try cross country.

You once skiid over to my house. Do you remember that?

Also... I hit a pole on my bike today and threw the chain off the gears and scrapped my palm up while I was on my way to your church to take pictures of people leaving after mass.

I managed to get there but I had a bloody band-aid, dried spit, and loads of oil on my hands and was kneeling in front of the church taking pictures and it kinda weirded a few people out.

I don't think I could use my bike in the winter. Not a mountain bike.

Yeah.

Try showing up to school like that. If you don't already have a rep for being insane, you will quickly acquire one.

Thanks everyone!!!

I asked my dad and he said you ruin your skis in 1 week by skiing on snow covered roads and stuff. I asked how to get around in icy weather (mountain bike is a great idea satan but no way my parents are buying me a 2nd bike) and he said just walk and I said walking is boring and said read a book while walking xD. If I lived in a rural area maybe I'd try snow shoes, but the snow's mostly packed and gross here so I think normal shoes will be fine.

Circle of Time I also dream of skiing. :X I think when I move to some cold rural prairie area (nebraska, north dakota??) I might seriously try cross country.

1) What type of bike do you have now?

2) There are places to get fairly cheap bikes. As long as it has treads, it will work in the winter, no matter how shitty. I suggest either used, a police auction, or a wal mart or target (evil I know, but cheap, usable bikes)

a hybrid will work, but prepare to buy a few things of oil and pay for replacement parts. I haven't tried my hybrid on snow, so I don't know how well it will work, but it handled ice okay.

Also, now that I know there are other people here who bike, I must get something out of the way

Sick of cars being assholes to you? Fight back! Ride with your local Critical Mass![/obligatory recruitment line]